Cotswold planning corruption and Spanish cave dweller evictions

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Dec 14 01:19:57 GMT 2013

Corrupt sale of public land and leases
- billions of pounds worth of luxury homes built in a conservation area
- local plans that 'don't mean anything'
- Six figure bungs and six figure sums stolen
This Gloucestershire scandal has it all

Death & corruption at Cotswold Water Park
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/73165
<http://www.private-eye.co.uk/i>Private Eye‘s
biggest local government planning fraud story
since the 1960s
<http://www.scotsman.com/news/poulson-affair-pelicans-brief-that-stunned-a-country-1-1193245>John
Poulson affair: Fraud, theft, death and planning
conspiracy in Gloucestershire’s Cotswold Water
Park – news review with LibDem Cotswold District
Councillor Esmund Jenkins.  Esmond Jenkins
discusses planning corruption around The Cotswold
Water Park in forensic detail, involving large
amounts of money.
<http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Greedy-charity-chief-Dennis-Grant-jailed-fraud/story-12940822-detail/story.html>Dennis
Grant was jailed in 2011 for fraud but Esmond
believes there are others involved. Two people have died in the process.
<http://www.bcfmradio.com/wp-content/Podcasts/20131213170001.mp3>download
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/73165
Second hour: Cotswold Water Park planning
corruption continues. Gloucestershire Freemasons:
ten names handed to police who fail to
investigate. Esmond Jenkins continues with his
story about The Cotswold Water Park. He discusses
what he believes is Freemasonry connections in
the planning scandal. Clips of Martin Short who
wrote ‘Inside the Brotherhood’ about police, the
City of London and Freemasonry, also what is Freemasonry?
<http://www.bcfmradio.com/wp-content/Podcasts/20131213180001.mp3>download
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/73168

Spanish cave dwellers revolt as city council
about to start ancient caves eviction

Published time: December 13, 2013 16:00
<http://rt.com/news/spain-granada-caves-eviction-204/>Get short URL
http://rt.com/news/spain-granada-caves-eviction-204/
Spanish cave dwellers protest the eviction. Image from radiogranada.es
<http://img.rt.com/files/news/21/7f/40/00/granada_480p.mp4?event=download>Download
video (25.13 MB)
Protesters in Granada, Spain have gathered to
protect cave dwellings as authorities move to
clean and evict dozens from the ancient
settlement. The City Council cites a lack of
safety, but the cave dwellers accuse it of violating their human rights.
This week dozens of activists have been
protesting the eviction from the San Miguel caves
of at least three dozen people who live there.
On Thursday, the Granada City Council proposed
providing social housing to those residents currently in the caves.
The Town planning councilor, Isabel Nieto,
announced that the council had applied to the
courts to carry out these measures.
This is the third attempt to clear cave dwellings
in the past six years. Officials have repeatedly
claimed that the homes built there run the risk of damage.
Juan Antonio Parra, one of the individuals
representing the cave's community, rejects the
city's claims, and tells RT that despite a
declaration by the city three years ago that the
dwellings ran the risk of collapse subsequent
rainstorms have not damaged a single of the cave's residences.
San Miguel is the site of one of four main cave
neighborhoods in Southern Spain. RT's Lucy
Kafanov visited the caves on Friday, and found no
immediate evidence of any danger to those individuals living in the caves.
The caves are in a privileged location, which gives the best vi

The caves are in a privileged location, which
gives the best views of the city .Image from radiogranada.es
For more than a thousand years, hundreds of caves
carved out of the hilltop have been home to
gypsies and other settlers. Abandoned in the
1960s, eight caves are now occupied by squatters,
who reclaimed them and turned them into their homes.
The cave dwellers have developed their own
community, which the City Council and the
councilor Nieto, want to serve evictions on,
pointing to the lack of safety and unlivable conditions.
Activists gathered to protest the eviction from the San Miguel

Activists gathered to protest the eviction from
the San Miguel caves and the removal of at least
30 people who live there. Image by Jesus Ochando / GranadaiMedia.com
However, dwellers in the caves say they feel
completely safe and comfortable living there.
“I am not afraid of living here. We have been
here more than 10 years and nothing has ever
happened. The caves have never fallen. Besides,
we are happy to be here, we feel comfortable and
this place is really nice,”Marga, one of the
inhabitants, told RT’s Lucy Kafanov, who traveled to Granada.
The cave residents are now looking for
independent architects and experts who could
evaluate the conditions and prove that their houses are a “safe place to live”.
“We ask the authorities of Andalucía, and private
organizations and associations to help us. We ask
independent architects and experts to come here
and give us a second opinion over our caves,”
Irma, another dweller, has told RT.

“The only thing we ask local authorities is a
second opinion on our place, because in the one
they did in 2010, nobody came here to see how we
live, nobody entered the caves. Neither I nor
those who are living in the remaining eight caves
up there are afraid of living here,” she said.

Cave dwellers and activists gathered following the town planner

Cave dwellers and activists gathered following
the town planner’s announcement. This is the
third attempt to clear cave dwellings in the past
six years.Image from radiogranada.es
Eviction protesters have accused the authorities
of violating the human rights of those who are
living in the mountainside. They say none of the
inhabitants have been informed about the move.
“We have already received the decision of the
Strasbourg Court, which stated that the eviction
of the caves should be suspended until their
inhabitants are offered alternative
accommodation,” Juan Antonio Parra told RT. “The
inhabitants of these caves have the same rights
as any of the citizens of Granada.”
The activists insist that despite the authorities
citing safety reasons, there is another reason
for clearing the caves and evicting residents.
In 2007, the council announced that the
Sacramento caveman heritage would include
flamenco caves for tourists, “artisan” workshops,
as well as souvenir shops and a hotel, which the
council assured would“respect the harmony of the
area”. In addition, the caves are in a desirable
location, allowing for the best views of the city
which counts on a robust tourism economy.
However, initial plans to convert the caves into
a tourist area were canceled because of the global economic crisis.