UK press ignore Gordon Brown on the coming crash

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Dec 27 22:01:25 GMT 2013

Stumbling Toward the Next Crash

By GORDON BROWN   OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
Published: December 18, 2013
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/opinion/http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/opinion/gordon-brown-stumbling-toward-the-next-crash.html?_r=0#commentsContainer>30
Comments

http://www.911forum.org.uk/board/viewtopic.php?p=166308#166308

LONDON ­ In early October 2008, three weeks after
the Lehman Brothers collapse, I met in Paris with
leaders of the countries in the euro zone.
Oblivious to the global dimension of the
financial crisis, they took the view that if
there was fallout for Europe, America would be to
blame ­ so it would be for America to fix. I was
unable to convince them that half of the bundled
subprime-mortgage securities that were about to
blow up had landed in Europe and that euro-area
banks were, in fact, more highly leveraged than America’s.

Despite the subsequent decision of the Group of
20 in 2009 on the need for rules to supervise
what is now a globally integrated financial
system, world leaders have spent the last five
years in retreat, resorting to unilateral actions
that have made a mockery of global coordination.
Already, we have forgotten the basic lesson of
the crash: Global problems need global solutions.
And because we failed to learn from the last
crisis, the world’s bankers are carrying us toward the next one.

The economist David Miles, who sits on the
monetary policy committee of the Bank of England,
may exaggerate
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/opinion/http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/speeches/2010/speech451.pdf>when
he forecasts financial crises every seven
years,but most of the problems that caused the
2008 crisis ­ excessive borrowing, shadow banking
and reckless lending ­ have not gone away.
Too-big-to-fail banks have not shrunk; they’ve
grown bigger. Huge bonuses that encourage
reckless risk-taking by bankers remain the norm.
Meanwhile, shadow banking ­ investment and
lending services by financial institutions that
act like banks, but with less supervision ­ has
expanded in value to $71 trillion, from $59 trillion in 2008.

Europe’s leaders aren’t the only ones with these
blind spots. Emerging-market economies in Asia
and Latin America have seen a 20 percent growth
in their shadow-banking sectors. After 2009,
Asian banks expanded their balance sheets three
times faster than the largest global financial
institutions, while adding only half as much capital.

In the patterns of borrowing today, we can
already detect parallels with the pre-crisis
credit boom. We’re seeing the same over-reliance
on short-term capital markets that ultimately
brought down Northern Rock, Iceland’s banks and Lehman Brothers.

While the internationalization of the renminbi is
opening up new opportunities for global
investment in China, it is also increasing the
exposure of the global economy to any
vulnerability in its banking sector. China’s
total domestic credit has
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/opinion/http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTPROSPECTS/Resources/334934-1322593305595/8287139-1371060762480/GEP2013b_full_report.pdf>more
than doubled to $23 trillion, from $9 trillion in
2008 ­ as big an increase as if it had added the
entire United States commercial banking sector.
Borrowing has risen as a share of China’s
national income to more than 200 percent, from
135 percent in 2008. China’s growth of credit is
now faster than Japan’s before 1990 and America’s
before 2008, with half that growth in the
shadow-banking sector. According to Morgan
Stanley, corporate debt in China is now equal to the country’s annual income.

Although sizable foreign reserves make today’s
Asia different from the Asia that experienced the
1997 crash in Indonesia, Thailand and South
Korea, we are all implicated. If China’s economy
were to slow, Asian countries would be doubly hit
from the loss of exports and by higher prices.
They would face downturns that would feel like depressions.

And China’s banking system may not be Asia’s most
vulnerable. Thailand’s financial institutions,
for example, appear overdependent on short-term
foreign loans; and in India, where 10 percent of
bank loans have gone bad or need restructuring,
banks will need $19 billion in new capital by 2018.

If the emerging markets of Asia and Latin America
are hit by financial turmoil in coming years,
will we not turn to one another and ask why we
did not act after the last crisis? Instead of
retreating into our national silos, we should
have seized the opportunity to fix global
standards for how much capital banks must hold,
how much they can lend against their equity, and
how open they are about their liabilities.

The Volcker Rule, now approved by American
regulators, illustrates the initial boldness and
ultimate weakness of our post-2008 response. This
element of the Dodd-Frank financial reform law of
2010 forbids deposit-taking banks in the United
States from engaging in short-term, proprietary
trading. But these practices are still allowed in
Europe. Controls are even weaker in Latin America and Asia.

International rules are needed for international
banks. Without them, as the International
Monetary Fund has warned, global banks will evade
regulation “by moving operations, changing
corporate structures, and redesigning products.”

When I was chairman of the G-20 summit meeting
here in April 2009, our first principle was that
future financial crises that started in one
continent would affect all continents. That was
why we charged the new Global Financial Stability
Board with setting global standards and rules.

Nearly five years on, its chairman, the Bank of
England governor Mark Carney, has spoken of
“uneven progress” in recapitalizing banks and
making them disclose their risks. The G-20 plan
for oversight of shadow banking is, as yet, only
a plan. While the world’s $600 trillion
derivatives market is being regulated with new
minimum capital and reporting requirements,
global financial regulators must “find a way to
collaborate across borders,” Mr. Carney says.

In short, precisely what world leaders sought to
avoid ­ a global financial free-for-all, enabled
by ad hoc, unilateral actions ­ is what has
happened. Political expediency, a failure to
think and act globally, and a lack of courage to
take on vested interests are pushing us inexorably toward the next crash.

Gordon Brown, a Labour member of the British
Parliament, is a former chancellor of the Exchequer and prime minister.