Housing policy train crash in 'Rabbit Hutch' Britain

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Feb 22 21:36:48 GMT 2013

passed me by this old chestnut

New British homes the smallest in Europe
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/sep/11/housing
Robert Booth - The Guardian, Thursday 11 September 2008
The UK is building the most cramped housing in Europe in a phenomenon
dubbed "rabbit hutch" Britain, with every country in western Europe,
from Ireland to Italy, providing bigger new homes.
"The cause is simple and shocking," said Ellis Woodman, the curator
behind the British pavilion at the Venice Architecture Biennale,
opening today, which examines why the quality of British housing has
fallen behind the rest of Europe. "England and Wales are the only
parts of Europe where house-building is unregulated by legally
binding minimum space standards," he said. "That oversight is all too
indicative of the failure of successive British governments to ensure
that we are well housed."

Robert Booth audio: 'The most cramped houses in Europe'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/audio/2008/sep/11/housing.britain.biennale

Homes in the UK have the smallest rooms west of Poland and old
dwellings are not much bigger, with the average floor space almost a
quarter smaller than in Denmark, which boasts western Europe's most
spacious living accommodation.
Among the smallest homes on the market are Barratt Homes' "Manhattan
pods" in Harlow, Essex, which have just 34 square metres of space and
a living room measuring three metres by 3.6 metres.
A survey by the housing charity Shelter of 500 families living in
overcrowded conditions revealed that 86% felt someone in their family
was suffering from depression, anxiety or stress and 71% said
overcrowding had a negative impact on their health.
"I haven't got any room for anything," said Sonia Donovan, a
23-year-old pregnant single mother who lives in a one- bedroom
council flat in Plymouth. "In my bedroom I've got my bed, my son's
bed, cupboards and baby's cot. It causes a lot of stress in a small
property, especially with my small son and another one on the way.
I'm depressed and I feel homeless."
In November, London mayor Boris Johnson will propose the
reintroduction of minimum space standards on all publicly-funded
housing in the capital, with one-bedroom flats having to be no
smaller than 50 square metres and three-bedroom homes a minimum 74
square metres. Johnson said in the summer that it was "shameful that
new buildings in London have some of the smallest rooms in Europe".
In a separate move aimed at freeing up more space in Britain's homes,
the government said yesterday that it would waive planning procedures
for loft conversions of fewer than 50 cubic metres and single-storey
extensions no more than 3 metres deep.
Housebuilders have warned that space standards could increase costs
and slow down housebuilding, which is already falling short of
government targets. "We can't increase the footprint of a home
without increasing the land we need to buy and develop," said Steve
Turner, a spokesman for the Home Builders' Federation.
Twitter: @TonyGosling http://twitter.com/tonygosling
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered that shall not be
revealed; and nothing hid that shall not be made known. What I tell
you in darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye hear in the
ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6