Commons as a New Paradigm for Governance, Economics and Policy

Darren mail at vegburner.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 15:34:00 GMT 2013

http://p2pfoundation.net/Commons_as_a_New_Paradigm_for_Governance,_Economics_and_Policy

David Bollier:

"It is a great honor to be able to share my thoughts about the commons
with you this evening. I want to thank the American Academy in Berlin
for the gift of time and caring attention that I've had these past five
weeks -- and for recognizing the great value of the commons paradigm in
its embryonic form. I'd also like to thank the Bosch Foundation for its
generous support of my fellowship. And of course, my deep appreciation
to my dear friend Silke Helfrich for her wonderful introduction and for
her collegiality in exploring the mysteries of the commons.

The commons has been my passion for the past fifteen years. This shift
in my energies came about as I became disillusioned in the mid-1990s
with the liberal imaginary as a credible vehicle for change -- and as I
recognized the powerful surge of commons-based alternatives on the
periphery of mainstream politics and culture.

In my talk, I'd like to introduce the commons paradigm as a very old --
and yet very new, recently rediscovered -- paradigm of governance and
resource-management. I will attempt to explain the great appeal of the
commons on many levels -- political, public policy, culture, social,
personal, even spiritual -- and to describe the scope of the worldwide
"movement" -- if that's the right term -- for expanding the social
practices and discourse of the commons.

Let me just say upfront that the commons is neither a totalizing
political ideology nor a PR re-branding of "the public interest." It is
a general template of governance that has deep roots in human history as
a system of self-provisioning, responsible resource-management and
mutual support.

But the states the issue too coldly, too analytically. The commons is at
heart an ethic -- a way of being human that goes beyond homo economicus,
the selfish, rational, utility-maximizing ideal of a human being that
economists and politicians say we are. The commons presumes that humans
are more complex, and that a richer set of human behaviors can be
"designed into" our institutions. The commons asserts that there is an
important role for self-organized governance that both challenges and
complements formal government.

In its more general sense, the commons is about stewardship of the
things that we own in common as human beings. It's about ensuring that
we protect them and pass them on, undiminished, to future generations.
That includes everything from inherited knowledge and culture... and the
integrity of natural ecosystems....public spaces and community
traditions..... subsistence commons of forests, fisheries and
farming.....and countless other shared resources that we morally or
legally own.

The strangest thing is these forms of provisioning are essentially
invisible because they exist outside of both the State and the Market.
In general, they are not seen as valuable -- when they are recognized at
all -- because most commons have little to do with private property
rights, markets or geo-political power. Even though subsistence commons
meet the everyday needs of an estimated two billion people in the world,
two of the most popular economics textbooks in the U.S. -- by Samuelson
& Nordhaus and by Stiglitz & Walsh -- entirely ignore the commons as a
viable, attractive provisioning model. (Subsistence -- I should add --
is not about mere survival, but about meeting household needs as opposed
to maximizing market exchange.)

Given its invisibility, commons worldwide are being overwhelmed and
destroyed by market forces today, with often-disastrous results. The
challenge for us, I believe, is to see the commons -- and to find new
ways to support and protect it.

    1. The Commons Paradigm

For most people, any mention of the word "commons" immediately brings to
mind the word "tragedy." End of discussion. If you listen to most
economists, the commons is always said to result in a tragedy. The
classic example is -- If you have a shared pasture upon which many
herders can graze their cattle, no single herder will have a rational
incentive to hold back -- and so he will put as many cattle on the
commons as possible, take as much as he can for himself. The pasture
will inevitably be over-exploited and ruined: a "tragedy."

This dogma has held sway in the popular mind and among economists since
1968, when biologist Garrett Hardin wrote a famous essay called "The
Tragedy of the Commons." It was a politically convenient parable because
it implied that a regime of private property rights and markets is
needed to solve the tendency of people to over-exploit resources. If
people had private ownership rights -- the thinking goes -- they would
be motivated to protect their grazing lands. But Hardin was not in fact
describing a commons. He was describing a scenario in which there are no
boundaries to the grazing land, no rules for managing it, and no
community of users. But that's not a commons. That's an open-access
regime, a free-for-all. A commons has boundaries, 3 rules, monitoring of
usage, punishment of free-riders, and social norms. A commons requires
that there be a community willing to act as a steward of a resource.

Hardin's misrepresentation of the commons stuck in the public mind,
however, and became an article of conventional wisdom. For the past two
generations the commons has been widely regarded as a failed paradigm of
governance. Hovering in the background, too, was Thomas Hobbes'
conviction that only the Leviathan, the powerful state, can prevent us
from degenerating into a law of the jungle that is nasty, brutish and
short.

Professor Elinor Ostrom of Indiana University -- who passed away several
months ago -- was the most prominent academic to rescue the commons and
rebut Hardin. It took years of painstaking field research and innovative
theorizing, but in her path-breaking 1990 book, Governing the Commons,
Ostrom identified some basic design principles of successful commons.
Over the past several decades, she and many colleagues have shown in
hundreds of empirical studies that people can and do successfully manage
their land and water and forests and fisheries as commons. Some commons
have flourished for hundreds of years, such as the Swiss villagers who
manage high mountain meadows and the huerta irrigation institutions in
Spain.

Ostrom's great achievement was to explain how cooperation can actually
manage resources sustainably -- and often more effectively than the
state or market. Her ideas have forced mainstream economics to reexamine
its premises while working within its master narrative by brilliantly
blending political science, sociology, anthropology, economics and other
social sciences. Ostrom won the Nobel Prize in Economics in 2009 for
this work, making her the first woman to win the Prize. The commons
scholarship developed by Ostrom and a worldwide group of academics has
historically shown little interest in applying its ideas to the
political economy. But a global movement of commons activists has shown
no such reluctance to take on this very big challenge. Over the past ten
years or so, a fledgling commons movement -- working alongside commons
scholars, but entirely independently of them -- has developed a
discourse of the commons as a new/old political philosophy and policy
agenda.

Whether they realize it not, commoners are part of a different way of
knowing and acting in the world. Commoning -- the social practices of
commoners -- embodies a very different worldview -- a different way of
being and way of knowing -- than those presumed by the modern liberal
polity. This is a source of great promise and tension, as I hope to show.

    2. Economics & the Commons

Perhaps I should start by emphasizing that a commons is not a resource
in itself. It's a resource plus a social community and the social
values, rules and norms that they used to manage the 4 resource. They're
all an integrated package. You could call it a
socio-economic-biophysical package -- sort of like a fish and a pond and
aquatic vegetation: They all go together and don't make sense as
isolated elements. They arguably can't survive as isolated elements
because they are organically interdependent.

That may be why conventional economics has so much trouble understanding
the commons. It doesn't understand how the community, rather than the
individual, can be the framing term of reference. The commons looks at
the whole and regards the individual and the collective as nested within
each other and interpenetrating each other. This is a very different
metaphysics than that of the modern liberal state, which sees the
individual as sovereign.

The commons also asks us to transcend some of the familiar dichotomies
of modern life -- "public" vs. "private," "individual" vs. "collective,"
"objective" vs. "subjective" -- and to begin to see these dualisms in a
more integrated, blended form. "Cooperative individualism" is one
shorthand that I like to us.

But that term doesn't really convey the emotional, psychic dimensions of
the commons, which at bottom is a personal experience and identity.
Commoners love and need their resources, or at least depend upon them --
and so they have keen motivations to act as conscientious stewards and
defenders of them. Commoners have emotional, subjective relationships
with the "resources" they manage and use, and with their fellow
commoners. They develop rituals and customs that are part of their
culture of stewardship.

This may be why the commons is such a subversive metaphysics: It asks us
to entertain a richer definition of value than that of the market. It
asks us to entertain a larger conception of "the economy" than Gross
Domestic Product. It asks that we commit to certain forms of value that
go beyond the market and prices.

Economics as traditionally understood is focused on "creating wealth"
and "eliminating scarcity." But it is really concerned only a certain
type of wealth -- wealth that has a price attached to it and can be
traded in the marketplace. This kind of wealth is usually encased in
private property rights and exchanged through market transactions. The
more market transactions there are, the greater the "wealth" that is
supposedly created and the happier we supposedly are.

The only problem with this standard economic narrative is that it
doesn't have much to say about the great stores of value that don't have
price tags. How much is the Earth's atmosphere worth? What about the
human genome? Fresh water supplies? Our inheritance of scientific
knowledge and culture? Parks and open spaces? The Internet? Our
relationships with nature and with each other?

A lot of this traces back to philosopher John Locke, who argued that the
things that lie outside of a system of private property rights and
commerce are best known as res nullius. Nullities. These things are free
for the taking because no one has any recognized property rights in them
and there is no price for them. All you have to do is "add your own
labor" and you're entitled to own them.

That's basically the philosophical justification that conquerors and
colonizers used in Locke's time to claim ownership of native lands. The
lands were unowned, after all, and the natives didn't have any formal
private property rights in them. Therefore -- they're free for the taking!

In our time, this same justification is used to claim ownership of
ethno-botanical knowledge in the global South, and to assert patents on
genes and lifeforms and synthetic nano-matter. The same logic is used to
develop wilderness areas and claim property rights in words, colors and
smells via trademark law. One need only arrest property rights in
something that is "un-owned."

John Locke's property theories are of a piece with Garrett Hardin's
tragedy of the commons.

They both assume that value can only be present if there are private
property rights and markets. This provides ample justification for
outright plunder.

My colleague Silke Helfrich pointed me to a wonderful poem by Goethe
called "Catechism."

Teacher: Bethink, thee, child! Where do those gifts come from? Something
from yourself alone cannot come.

Child:  Oh!  Everything is from Papa.
Teacher:  And he, where does he have them from?
Child:  From Grandpapa.
Teacher:  Not so!  How to your Grandpapa did they befall?
Child:  He took them all.

    3. Enclosures of the Commons

Which brings me to what I call the tragedy of the market, often known as
market enclosure. Over the course of several centuries, but especially
in the 19th Century, the English aristocracy colluded with Parliament to
privatize the village commons of England. The commons was 6 essentially
dismantled. Enclosure was a way for the landed gentry to make a lot of
money and consolidate their political and economic power.

The great, unacknowledged scandal of our time is the large-scale
privatization and abuse of dozens of resources that we collectively own.
Today's enclosure movement is an eerie replay of the English enclosure
movement. A prime example: International investors and national
governments are now buying up farmlands and forests in Africa, Asia and
Latin America on a massive scale, at discount prices, in collusion with
host governments. Commoners who have grown and harvested their own food
for generations as a matter of custom, are being thrown off their lands
so that large multinational corporations and investors can take them.
The basic goal is to secure a geo-political advantage, sell food to
global markets or simply make a speculative killing.

Can you guess what happens to the millions of people who suddenly can't
survive because their commons have been enclosed? They become the
characters of a Charles Dickens novel. They are forced into cities to
search for a livelihood and end up becoming beggars, shanty-dwellers and
exploited wage-slaves. The news accounts of raids by Somali pirates
rarely mention that many of them used to be fishermen before foreign
industrial trawlers destroyed their fishing commons. Markets have long
treated Nature as either as a nullity or as a brute object -- something
that has no life in it, no dignity, no connection to the sacred. But
it's reaching some alarming points. Biotech companies and universities
now own one-fifth of the human genome. The biotech company Myriad
Genetics of Salt Lake City claims a patent on a "breast cancer
susceptibility gene" that guarantees it monopoly control over certain
types of research. This means that the patent is actually preventing
other scientists from researching genetic sources of breast cancer lest
it violate the patent.

A surging nano-technology industry is developing synthetic forms of
basic matter that "improve upon" nature -- and then claim proprietary
control over them. The ambition is to substitute privately owned,
engineered forms of proprietary nano-matter that displace naturally
occurring matter. This process follows a familiar pattern: Monsanto has
used GMOs to displace natural seeds, Microsoft has used Windows to
marginalize nearly all other operating systems, and multinational
bottling companies have substituted branded, proprietary water for tap
water. One of the first attempted privatizations of water supplies came
in Cochabamba, Bolivia, in 2002, when the Bechtel Corporation and the
government privatized the municipal water supply and even claimed
ownership of rainwater. More recently, the billionaire T. Boone Pickens
has spent more than $100 million acquiring groundwater aquifers in the
Texas High Plains, which could make it very expensive for many
communities there to survive as water becomes privately owned.

Nowadays, it's not just land and oceans being enclosed. Everything can
be privatized and commoditized. Mathematical algorithms can now be owned
if they are embedded in software and supposedly serve a novel commercial
function. McDonald's claims a trademark in the prefix "Mc," so that you
can't name your restaurant McSushi or McVegan or your hotel McSleep. The
American music licensing body ASCAP once demanded that hundreds of
summer camps for boys and girls pay a blanket "performance license" for
singing copyrighted songs around the campfire. These are not exceptional