24 hrs to ban bee-killers

mark at tlio.org.uk mark at tlio.org.uk
Wed Jan 30 17:20:52 GMT 2013

"To EU decision-makers: We call on you to immediately ban the use of
neonicotinoid pesticides. The catastrophic demise of bee colonies
could put our whole food chain in danger. If you act urgently with
precaution now, we could save bees from extinction."

Go to the following url to sign the petition:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/hours_to_save_the_bees/?crBaebb

Quietly, globally, billions of bees are dying, threatening our crops
and food. But in 24 hours the European Union could move to ban the
most poisonous pesticides, and pave the way to a global ban that would
save bees from extinction.

Four EU countries have begun banning these poisons, and some bee
populations are already recovering. Days ago the official European
food safety watchdog stated for the first time that certain pesticides
are fatally harming bees. Now legal experts and European politicians
are calling for an immediate ban. But, Bayer and other giant pesticide
producers are lobbying hard to keep them on the market. If we build a
huge swarm of public outrage now, we can push the European Commission
to put our health and our environment before the profit of a few.

We know our voices count! Last year, our 1.2 million strong petition
forced US authorities to open a formal consultation on pesticides --
now if we reach 2 million, we can persuade the EU to get rid of these
crazy poisons and pave the way for a ban worldwide. Sign the urgent
petition and share this with everyone -- Avaaz and leading MEPs will
deliver our message ahead of this week's key meeting in Brussels.
Ref:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/hours_to_save_the_bees/?crBaebb