Forests may be in peril again - Govt publish new proposals on English Forests

mark at tlio.org.uk mark at tlio.org.uk
Thu Jul 11 11:59:50 BST 2013

Taken from: http://www.handsoffourforest.org/

Posted 10th July 2013

After 3 years of protest and a major independent report, The
Government has published its initial proposals for managing England's
public forests.

Hands Off Our Forests (HOOF) have looked at these proposals - and we
do not like what we have seen.

If these plans are implented without amendment, the Government will be
throwing away the report's model of a non-political body of guardians
to safeguard the English forests for the people. They seem determined
to implement their original version of privatisation and put the
Secretary of State in total control.

When the Government asked the Bishop of Liverpool and his panel to
prepare a report into how England's public forests should be managed,
it said it would abide by the report, whatever it's outcome.

Read below and you decide whether they intend to abide by the
report...

The Independent Report said: A board of independent Guardians should
safeguard the future of the English public Forests
Government are proposing: The Guardians' role to be subjugated to
"advisory" only, with no powers to alter anything

The Independent Report said: Forests to be run on a day to day basis
by a Board of Directors who answer to the Guardians
Government are proposing: Directors to set policy including whether
private companies or charities can run aspects of the forests

The Independent Report said: Guardians and Directors to be free from
political pressure so they can keep the forests safe for everyone
Government are proposing: Directors and Guardians to be appointed by
and directly answerable to the Secretary of State

HOOF are demanding talks with the Ministers involved and we will let
you know how they go as soon as we can.

The Government are saying "It will be alright. Trust us"

WELL DO YOU?

We won before and we will win again, and unless they are prepared to
alter their proposals the only losers will be the present coalition
government when the nation realises they cannot be trusted with our
precious forests.

Posted on 8th July 2013:

Here we go again!

When HOOF, back in February, broadly welcomed the Government's
response to the Forestry Panel Report, we said at the time that the
devil would be in the detail.

We now know that the detail is very devilish indeed.

Far from embracing the forestry panel's recommendation to put the
English forests into the hands of a body of independent, non-political
guardians, thus safeguarding them for the foreseeable future, the
Government proposals make it clear they want a minister to have total
control. How is this different from the original ill-fated Public
Bodies bill that we all helped smash?

Not only will this unleash the spectre of privatisation once again,
but it will leave the forests, and the Forest of Dean, prey to the
whim of whatever government is in power.

The Government has a chance to do the decent, fair and moral thing by
putting our forests out of the reach of the greedy and unscrupulous,
but I'm afraid at the moment it looks like it is going to blow it.

That is why HOOF is meeting as a matter of urgency and why we must all
keep up the pressure on the government to abide by their word and do
the right thing.
[end]

Background:

After the government was forced to do a u-turn on selling off
Britain's woodlands, they set up a forests panel to help decide what
to do next. Their consultation ended on 31st July 2011. This was
TLIO's response: http://www.tlio.org.uk/forestsell-off_latest

In it, they recommended that forests in England & Wales should remain
in public-ownership.
Report here:
http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php/news/content/view/full/121049
  The Government finally announced their response to this report on
31st Jan.
See : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21275432