Saving Watford's Farm Terrace allotments, a tenner at a time

Zardoz tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Jul 25 21:31:08 BST 2013

Saving Farm Terrace allotments, a tenner at a time

The plot holders fighting to halt the destruction of Farm Terrace allotments in Watford need our help, argues Lia Leendertz
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2013/jul/24/farm-terrace-allotments

Sara Jane Trebar on her threatened allotment at Farm Terrace in Watford. Photograph: Martin Godwin for the Guardian

It's lucky not everyone is as easily beaten as me. When I heard the news that Watford councillors had been granted permission by the secretary of state to build on Farm Terrace allotments – a terraced, south-facing, historic site in the centre of an urban area – I was filled with despair. What hope other sites if such a jewel doesn't warrant the secretary of state's protection?

When I later heard that 97% of such applications to change the status of allotments so that they can be built upon are approved by the secretary of state, the fight seemed lost, and the future for allotments bleak. How can you battle those kinds of odds? Money speaks louder than community, fresh air, broad beans and parsley.

But Sara Jane Trebar, spokeswoman for Save Farm Terrace is made of sterner stuff. "We knew all along that if the approval to build on the site was granted we would take this further," she says. "We are going all the way with this."

As far as she is aware no allotment site has ever challenged one of these decisions in the courts before – it's hugely costly and time-consuming - so there has never been any judicial judgment on these cases. With a drive and dogged determination she has shown throughout these proceedings, Sara Jane has found a team of top human rights lawyers prepared to take the case on. They have examined the case and believe that the secretary of state has acted illegally and has not applied his policy properly. As Sara Jane says: "We really can win this. This will be a massive case for the future of allotments: finally someone is holding the system up to the light."

But it needs funds, lots of funds: £30,000. Rather beautifully, considering the impact this case could have nationwide, Sara Jane is not trying to raise the money through big fundraising events or from large companies, but is asking for hundreds of little donations from allotment holders and allotment supporters. Though I think those businesses that benefit from the continued robust health of the allotment movement – seed companies, nurseries, polytunnel manufacturers, garden centres, garden book publishers and garden magazines – should be falling over themselves to financially support this case, there is a certain poetry in the allotment holders of the country all handing over a tenner. It's real David v Goliath stuff.

I've given £20, flash git that I am, and in the first 24 hours after launching over £1,000 was raised, most of it from £10 here and £20 there. I find myself gripped by the fundraising process, at the little bits of money drip in, believer after believer. It's a beautiful thing.

Sara Jane says: "We want to save Farm Terrace and at the same time make it a great deal harder for councils to put allotment societies through what we've been through. We think we will." This is a fight I want to see fought, and Sara Jane is just the woman for the job. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks the prospect of Sara Jane v Eric Pickles is worth a tenner.

• Lia Leendertz writes about gardening for the Guardian's Weekend magazine, as well as writing a personal blog.
http://www.lialeendertz.com/blog/

You can donate to the Save Farm Terrace fighting fund here.
http://www.gofundme.com/3ig1fo