Tony Wrench roundhouse on BBC Wales April 2004 TLIO Castell Henllys occupation

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Jul 31 00:12:24 BST 2013

Brithdir Mawr The Land Is Ours Tony Wrench Pembrokeshire roundhouse
April 2004 Castell Henllys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu8D0ZpD5bA

The actions mainly consisted of a number of surprise tactical
occupations at key sites in the area Castell Henllys & Haverfordwest
http://www.tlio.org.uk/node/19
  The first one to take place was at Castell Henllys which is popular
tourist spot because itself has a number of recreated ancient
roundhouses. These got planning permission because that the National
Park planners gave themselves permission to build them. No one lives
in these dwellings, at least they didn't until the first surprise
visit from us lot. Just around closing time on Good Friday one of the
houses was occupied and locked up. A section 6 notice was displayed
on the door stating our squatters rights and our intention to stay
and live there. A huge banner was erected that could be read from the
main road that read "Roundhouses Aren't History" and a number of
other dwellings and tents were also put up in the grounds.
  This first occupation achieved a number of things. Firstly it
provided us with a beautiful space to base ourselves for free for the
weekend. Secondly it drew attention to the National Park's hypocrisy
and double standards in allowing this type of dwelling. And finally
it cost the National Park some money. This was Easter weekend and
normally would have been a lucrative time for the National Park's
tourist attraction.
  On Saturday, there was a procession from the nearby town of Newport
to Brithdir Mawr and Tony's roundhouse. The aim was to try to
persuade him not to take it down. He had already enlisted a whole
bunch of people as his demolition squad. The demo did persuade him
but to make sure the house was squatted by protestors. This meant
Tony and his wife had to move out to one of the smaller roundhouses
and they couldn't demolish the building because they would first have
to get the squatters evicted.
  On Sunday the third occupation took place. This was the occupation
of some land by the side of the A487 (the main road to Castell
Henllys) and the building of another roundhouse on it. This
temporary, straw bale dwelling provided an alternative tourist
attraction and an info centre about low impact dwellings was set up
here. It was called the "Low Impact Homes Expo" and a large number of
locals and other people who came from further away dropped by to find
out what we were up to and learn about low-impact development.

The demo:
  On Tuesday the main site at Castell Henllys was decamped and
everyone that was still around headed down to Haverfordwest for a
demo to the offices of Pembrokeshire National Park planning
department. This was an incredibly fluffy demo and before the demo
started the police explained that they wanted part of it to take part
on the pavement. I thought this was pretty crap but no one seemed to
mind. The organisers probably didn't care know they still had their
trump card up their sleeves.
  The demo itself was OK. Very musical with bagpipes and drums and
lots of kids and very hippiesque too.
  When we arrived at the offices the police were obviously on the
case and, not wanting to see reenactment of June 18th in this little
welsh town, had a police photographer carefully positioned in one of
the first floor windows.
  Just below a thin blue line of police cordon tape clearly showed us
where could and could not go. But the whole thing was so chilled out
and fluffy: there was food and music and kids and dogs playing in the
small empty car park directly in front of the office buildings.
  What we wanted was to talk to Catherine Milner, one of the planners
who was refusing to give permission to the roundhouse and who wanted
to see it demolished. This didn't seem a particularly demanding
request as she had known about this demo for 3 weeks. But instead she
sent a guy from the IT department. He said he couldn't answer any
questions and was only there to take the petition.
http://www.tlio.org.uk/Action_to_save_Tony_Wrenchs_Roundhouse