Why burn US trees in UK power stations? (video)

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Tue May 28 15:17:17 BST 2013

8-o

P.

Renewable energy: Why burn US trees in UK power stations?
BBC News, 27 May 2013

"Environmentalists are trying to block the expansion of a transatlantic
trade bringing American wood to burn in European power stations.

The trade is driven by EU rules promoting renewable energy to combat
climate change.

Many millions of tonnes of wood pellets will soon be shipped annually to
help keep the lights on in the UK. Other EU nations may follow.

Critics say subsidising wood burning wastes money, does nothing to
tackle climate change in the short term, and is wrecking some of
America's finest forests.

The BBC's Environment Analyst, Roger Harrabin, explains the process and
examines the impact of the policy."

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey_public_key-2013.asc