Operation Elven used to target Dale Farm anti-eviction network

mark at tlio.org.uk mark at tlio.org.uk
Thu Oct 10 20:09:06 BST 2013

From: 	travellersolidarity at riseup.net
Sender: 	travellersolidarity-bounces at lists.noflag.org.uk
Subject: 	[Travellersolidarity] Operation Elven: A Call-Out for
Information
Date: 	Tue, 8 Oct 2013 18:58:07 -0000
To: 	travellersolidarity at lists.noflag.org.uk

In recent weeks Traveller communities across have faced another
clampdown by police under the title of ‘Operation Elven’.

*Effects of Operation Elven*

There have been some accusations of robberies from Museums of items
such as rhino horns. The police believe that their suspects are
Travellers and have been raiding sites across the UK, taking lots of
computers, papers, sim cards etc. Officers from 26 forces and the
Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca) have been involved in the
operation. Raids have taken place in London, Sussex, Cambridgeshire,
the West Midlands, Essex and Northern Ireland.

We believe there have been clear attempts to target those who were
connected with the organised resistance against the Dale Farm eviction
two years ago, supported by reports of frankly pointless violations
against friends. Readhere for a first-person
account<http://travellersolidarity.org/2013/09/11/police-raid-on-smithy-fen-an-account/>.

Police confiscations of identification and vehicles have left many
unable to work or receive their vital benefits.

A raid took place on Smithy Fen in Cambridgeshire, where we have
friends, as well as other sites that we are not so familiar with. As
part of Operation Elvin there was a raid on a site in Wolverhampton
involving 70 police and helicopters. Supporters in Cambridgeshire
continue to work very hard on supporting those who have been effected.
Grattan Puxon, long-time supporter of Travellers and Roma, was also
raided and effectively robbed of his possessions.
Report below.

It appears that the police are using the robberies as an excuse to
intimidate the entire Traveller community and anyone willing to stand
with them.

*Why email out?*

The reason we’re therefore emailing out is to ask the simple question
- Is anything happening in your area?  Have sites been raided?  Have
you been able to help? Getting a clearer picture of a very shady
police operation is
the first step.

So please do get in touch. Email travellersolidarity at riseup.net

Keep updated by reading our blog at www.travellersolidarity.org
Also for more information, read
http://netpol.org/2013/09/18/raids-on-traveller-sites-condemned-by-campaigners/

POLICE RAID ON GRATTAN PUXON
Submitted by Roma Network on 10 September 2013
http://roma.idebate.org/news-articles/police-raid-grattan-puxon

POLICE RAID ON GRATTAN PUXON Early this morning (10 September)
taser-armed police from the Essex special mobile force stationed at
Boreham, accompanied by a search team, entered the home of veteran
Romani movement activist Grattan Puxon. They included officers who
took part in the mass eviction at Dale Farm in October last year. Both
Puxon and his wife Eileen were shown a warrant before a seven-hour
search was made of the small cottage. Three computers, three mobile
fines and quantities of files, diaries and other papers were removed.
Puxon was subjected to a body search and his wife was supervised while
dressing. No explaination was offered by the police beyond saying an
investigation is ongoing. No charges have been brought. The search
team arrived in two minibuses and a police car. A hired van was later
added. At least a dozen officers were involved.Puxon was first told he
could not leave the house but at about 9am was permitted to attend a
doctor's appointment. [I need to be advised on legal representation in
the event that any charges are made, and would appreciate having this
news further circulated to activists in the Romani movement and
beyond]