[Diggers350] Not for Shale

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Oct 30 01:45:52 GMT 2013

Most Secret War
Chapter 48, Nuclear Energy; p. 601
British Scientific Intelligence 1939-1945 by R. V. Jones
Hamish Hamilton 1978
Coronet 1979
Made into a BBC Series The Secret War
ISBN 0 340 24169 1
DD 20126

In the third week of November 1944 reconnaissance
showed that several sites of feverish activity
had suddenly appeared near Hechingen. We could
not at first make sense of them, but such
activity in any event needed to be taken
seriously, and the proximity to Hechingen made us
wonder whether we had at last found evidence of a
frantic effort by the Germans to make a last
minute attempt at a nuclear bomb. I showed the
photographs to F.A. Lindemann, Lord Cherwell, on
23rd November, who immediately warned Winston
Churchill, and plans were made for further
reconnaissance, and for bombing. I began to feel
that nuclear intelligence had really 'taken off'.
Within a few days though, the scare was
dispelled. Wing Commander Douglas Kendall had
spotted that all the sites were in the same
string of valleys, and were on much the same
level. After a visit to the Geological Museum in
South Kensington, he found that a German
geologist had reported low-grade oil shales in
the area, and it turned out that all the Germans
were doing now that their oil installations were
being heavily attacked, was to try to exploit
this unpromising source of supply.