South Carolina City will Prohibit Homeless from Downtown

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Sep 23 22:12:34 BST 2013

South Carolina City Takes Steps to Evict Homeless From Downtown
  Anne McQuary for The New York Times

Emacs!

Homeless people waiting for a meal and a place to
stay at the Oliver Gospel Mission in Columbia, S.C.

By ALAN BLINDER  -  Published: August 25, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/us/south-carolina-city-takes-steps-to-evict-homeless-from-downtown.html

  COLUMBIA, S.C. — In South Carolina’s capital,
officials declare that their tree-lined Main
Street, clogged with shops, banks, restaurants
and hotels, is evidence that a long-sought economic revival has arrived.
“What I see is a giant risk to business,” said
Cameron Runyan, a member of the City Council,
whose strategy gave the homeless three options:
accept help at a shelter, go to jail or leave Columbia.
  But mere blocks north, a dozen or so of the
county’s approximately 1,500 homeless people sit
on a short wall near an empty parking lot,
waiting for private shelters to open. They
sporadically shout curses at passers-by while
they smoke cigarettes and endure the summer humidity.
  With business owners sounding increasingly
worried about the threat they believe the
homeless pose to Columbia’s economic surge, the
City Council approved a plan this month that will
essentially evict them from downtown streets.
  The unanimous vote epitomized how Columbia’s
dueling realities — a rush of self-confidence
among political and business leaders and
continuing poverty for others — have become driving forces of public policy.
  Among metropolitan areas in the South, the
nation’s fastest-growing region, Columbia is late to a boom period.
  New Orleans rebounded after Hurricane Katrina
and became a hub for start-up companies. Raleigh,
N.C., has logged significant job gains.
Greenville, S.C., transformed its downtown,
earning the admiration of Columbia. And in
Nashville, an investment company recently
introduced an exchange-traded fund exclusively featuring area businesses.
  In Columbia, which has branded itself “the new
Southern hot spot,” residents say the city’s time has come.
  They point to plans for the 181-acre campus
that once housed the state’s mental hospital and
will, over the next two decades, become a
mixed-use development with an annual economic
impact of more than $1 billion. Speculation is
rampant that a minor-league baseball team will
relocate to Columbia. Less flashy projects also
abound, including the conversion of a vacant
office building into housing for University of
South Carolina students, some of the more than
780,000 people who live in the metropolitan area.
  But business owners are warning that rising
homelessness in Richland County — up 43 percent
in two years, according to the South Carolina
Coalition for the Homeless, an increase many
blame on an absence of affordable housing options
and a sluggish national economy — is imperiling the area’s prospects.
  “People are afraid to get out of their cars
when they see a homeless person,” said Richard
Balser, who owns a luggage store downtown. “They
haven’t been a problem. They just scare people.”
  Others offered more dire assessments. One
executive cautioned the City Council in an e-mail
that “our staff members and our guests no longer
feel safe” and that it is “virtually impossible
for us, or anybody, to create a sustainable business model.”
  Comments like those have galvanized city
officials, whose controversial plan was widely supported by business leaders.
  “If we don’t take care of this big piece of our
community and our society, it will erode the
entire foundation of what we’re trying to build
in this city,” said Councilman Cameron Runyan,
who wrote the proposal and has suggested moving
Columbia’s homeless shelter as far as 15 miles
from downtown. “What I see is a giant risk to business.”
  Mr. Runyan has also cited a report from the
police that showed increases in crime last year
among the homeless, including assault and trespassing.
  City officials have clashed about what
precisely the Council approved during a marathon
meeting, but Mr. Runyan said the intent of his
strategy was to increase enforcement of existing
vagrancy laws and offer the homeless three
  Although those options were not detailed in Mr.
Runyan’s emergency proposal, he said they were
“implicit.” They are included in his permanent
plan, which the Council will consider later.
  Opponents of the emergency plan, which will
keep the city’s 240-bed shelter open two months
longer than the previous November-to-March
schedule, have said it would do little more than degrade Columbia’s neediest.
  “You’ve got to get to the root of the problem:
why we’re homeless,” said Jaja Akair, a homeless
man who spoke during a City Council session that
stretched past 3 a.m. “You can’t just knock us to
the side like we’re a piece of meat or a piece of paper.”
  Turning to executives in the audience, Mr.
Akair said: “Try giving us a shot. I guarantee
you some of us would run your business better than you do.”
  Other critics have warned that they are
considering court challenges to the plan, which will take effect in September.
  This summer, cities like Tampa, Fla., and
Portland, Ore., have pursued aggressive policies
against the homeless. But Maria Foscarinis, the
executive director of the National Law Center on
Homelessness and Poverty, characterized
Columbia’s plan in an e-mail as “an extreme, highly disturbing example.”
  Although Ms. Foscarinis’s group found in 2011
that cities were increasingly enacting
prohibitions against activities like panhandling
and loitering, researchers have questioned the efficacy of such tactics.
  “These kinds of proposals are happening more
and more around the country,” said Robert
Adelman, a sociologist at the University at
Buffalo. “But to me, all of these ordinances and
policies just redistribute homeless persons. They
don’t solve the problem of homelessness. You
can’t jail people out of homelessness.”
  Columbia’s efforts to support the wishes of
local businesses have not been limited to the
homeless initiatives. City leaders are also
asking the courts to stop plans for a federal
halfway house that would be near the widely
anticipated mixed-use development on Bull Street,
a project led by the same man credited with
revitalizing Greenville’s downtown.
  “We’ve got to make sure that every single thing
we do focuses on continuing to attract
advancement,” Mayor Steve Benjamin said. “Nothing can be a distraction.”
  But Lori Brown, who owns a fabric store on Main
Street, wondered if the city had misplaced its
efforts. “People complain more about parking,” Ms. Brown said.