Cornwall celebrates but what of other English counties' claims to independence?

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Apr 25 13:59:28 BST 2014

Cornwall is celebrating after being granted
minority status - but what of other English counties' claims to independence?
http://www.911forum.org.uk/board/viewtopic.php?p=167176#167176
 From Berkshire to Yorkshire, our writers go back to their roots...
   Thursday 24 April 2014
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cornwall-is-celebrating-after-being-granted-minority-status--but-what-of-other-english-counties-claims-to-independence-9284240.html

By Gillian Orr

Berkshire, or the Royal County of Berkshire as we
all go around calling it, is one of the oldest in
the country. Not only was it the scene of many
historic battles in the Civil War but, due to
Eton College being located here, it means just
about every Prime Minister and royal of note has
stolen their first kisses and taken their
earliest sips of cider in our distinguished
county. But if people think Berkshire is just a
place for snobs and toffs, don’t forget we are
also responsible for glorious Slough, the setting
for The Office. And therein lies Berkshire’s
beauty. What other county can boast having such
varying landmarks as Wernham Hogg Paper Company
and Windsor Castle nestled within its quarters?

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
By Lisa Markwell
Bucks should not be seen as the decorative buckle
on the commuter belt, oh no. It may be home to
the picturesque Chiltern Hills and have the odd
bend of the Thames within its boundaries, but
within it is a threatened species. It deserves
minority status to protect the very important and
at-risk residents of a proper home county: the
gin’n’Jag set. The numbers of these creatures,
who rise before dawn and hit the M40 in their
company cars, to toil at management consulting
all day before coming home for a stiff drink and
a glance at the Telegraph crossword, are
dwindling. But it is they who keep
Buckinghamshire’s wine bars in business, the golf
clubs ticking over, and the personal trainers
(who Mrs G’n’J utilises between school drop off
and teeth-whitening sessions) busy. We want them
to keep going for ever,  like Bucks’ other
attractions – Bekonscot, the model village that
has barely changed since it opened in 1929 – and
the grammar schools that still proliferate. We
can’t expect Pinewood Studios to be our only
calling card (although, in fairness, it is more
glamorous than the other residents the county
accommodates – Noel Gallagher and Jamiroquai
among others). And apologies if we are now
sounding needy, but our minority status is only
cemented by being the county that nearly, but not
quite, includes such luminary addresses as
Silverstone, Bletchley, Windsor
 I could go on.
Even Slough (of “Come Friendly Bombs” fame) is just over the border.

CAMBRIDGESHIRE
By Chloe Hamilton
When you think about it, Cambridgeshire already
has minority status. We have our own sport
(apparently they punt in Oxford, too, but at the
wrong end of the boat), our own language (A
keeping room? Anyone? Yep, that’s right, it’s a
fancy word for living room) and even our very
own, very glamorous Duke and Duchess. To hell
with leeks, soda bread, haggis and pasties, our
national food is the delectable Fitzbillies
Chelsea bun or, for the very brave, boiled
sausages in milk. We also make most of our money
selling cheap tat to tourists, like any good
principality should. If minority status was
granted, our head of state, some library
eccentric, would ride around town on his bike
admonishing students for not wearing their gowns,
and enforce incongruous laws such as holding May
Balls in June rather than May. In fact, I think
the government should go right ahead and make
Cambridgeshire the country it quite clearly is.
Anything to get one up on The Other Place.

CHESHIRE
By Alistair Dawber
There isn’t much support in Chester, Warrington,
Knutsford and Crewe for the Peoples’ Popular
Front for the Liberation of Cheshire (PPFLC), but
perhaps there should be. Much like Scotland
argues in the context of its oil, there’s so much
money swimming around (footballers in the north
of the county, farmers in the south) that
Cheshire must surely be better off keeping its
cash rather than transferring it elsewhere. It
has its own mining industry (salt – or at least
it used to), and huge revenues could be generated
by taxing all the trains that come up the West
Coast Mainline and to on to various places from
Crewe station. Don’t be surprised if support for
the PPFLC soars in the years to come.

CUMBRIA
By Chris Blackhurst
If any county is deserving of separate status it
is Cumbria.  Britain’s loveliest and prettiest,
home of Beatrix Potter, John Ruskin and William
Wordsworth, Cumbria is closer to heaven than it
is to London. With the fells, lakes, and tarns of
the Lake District at its core, Cumbria has no
issue with identity.  Bounded by the sea on one
side and the majestic Eden Valley on the other it
has its own dialect, cuisine, ales, customs,
sports and wildlife. All it is lacking is
independent governance. Where would you rather
be, in the smog shuffling along in the crowds
at  Chelsea Flower show, or breathing in the
clean, pure air at the Grasmere Sports, watching
the fell running, Cumberland Wrestling and
hound-trailing?  Likewise, would you prefer the
view from Westminster Bridge or Tarn Hows? The latter, every time.

DERBYSHIRE
By Will Gore
Picture this
 Gaining independence will be only
the first battle for Derbyshire; then will come
the internal debate about the future of Derby
itself. City-dwellers there may resent the
county’s name change to Peakland and the
retention of government in tourist-friendly
Matlock. But when civil order reasserts itself,
Peakland will become a powerhouse – its
industrial heartland in the south; glorious hills
and productive pasture to the north. Oatcakes and
Bakewell tart will feed hungry mouths at the end
of hard-working days; wells will be dressed in
thanks for the county’s liberation.  And should
governments of little Lancashire or yapping
Yorkshire, jealous of Peakland’s wonders, send
their armies they will be met by sturdy uplanders
atop the Dark Peak, their guns loaded with local
lead.  This is our dream: get out of the trough; climb the peak.

DEVON
By Sophie Robehmed
Ah, Devon, you beautiful beast. Your rolling
green hills, magnificent moors and stunning,
jagged coastline attracts countless visitors,
migrating families and retirees, far and wide.
You gave birth to literary greats, such as Samuel
Taylor Coleridge (Ottery St. Mary), a leader of
the British Romantic movement whose most famous
poem, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, is
studied, again and again, by literature students
worldwide, Charles Kingsley (Exeter), whose
novel, Westward Ho!, led to the north Devon town
with the same name – the only place name in the
British Isles that contains an exclamation mark!
– and Agatha Christie (Torquay), the bestselling
author of all time. Your luscious landscape also
inspired the likes of Elizabeth Barrett Browning,
Ted Hughes, Thomas Hardy, Charles Dickens, Jane
Austen and Arthur Conan Doyle (that’s right, you
could forget The Hound of the Baskervilles and
Sherlock-cum-Benedict Cumberbatch mania without
Dartmoor). You even determined a globally
recognised geological era – the Devonian period.
Oh, and by the way, you (probably) also
introduced the world to a cream tea and the
hallowed pasty (according to discovered historic
documents), maybe even clotted cream and saffron
cake. So stick that in your Saint Piran’s special
edition pipe and smoke it, Cornwall.

DORSET
By Mark Leftly
Finally, we Bournemouthians would have our
revenge. Bournemouth was the public’s choice to
be awarded city status in a 2012 competition to
mark the Queen’s Diamond jubilee. Instead, the
trio promoted to the top rank of urban
settlements were Chelmsford (really?), Perth
(Australia?) and St Asaph (not even a real
place). That’s quite an insult for a town that
sells 2,000 ice creams a day and discovers about
as many Page 3 girls (including, I should remind
Archie Bland, Hampshire’s Ms Pinder) on seven
miles of golden beaches. As economically dominant
of Dorset as London is of the UK, secession would
see Bournemouth rightfully take its place as the
world’s most chain-bar strewn capital city.

COUNTY DURHAM
By Stephen Brenkley
Land of the prince bishops, it was doing home
rule long before the others thought of it. The
only county of England to proclaim itself as such
in its name, its coalfields fuelled the
industrial revolution. It has one of the world’s
great universities in the county town, one of its
great museums in the singular Bowes Museum at
Barnard Castle, one of the forgotten treasures of
the British countryside in Teesdale, a unitary
authority which tries still to believe in
supplying public services, and it also provided
last summer’s cricket county champions, the true
yardstick of any place worthy of the name county.

ESSEX
By Simon Read
Essex is not just another county in England. It’s
the oldest county still in existence, dating its
roots back to at least the 6th century, and it
contains Britain’s oldest recorded town in
Colchester, which pre-dated the Roman invasion.
Yet it’s also thoroughly modern, being at the
heart of the entertainment revolution that still
shapes our age today. It boasts the world’s
longest pleasure pier at Southend – it’s further
than a mile! It was also the birthplace of pirate
radio – Caroline’s earliest broadcasts in 1964
came from a boat moored off the Essex coast.
Minority status? The rest of the country is in a
minority compared to Essex’s historical and contemporary pre-eminence.

HAMPSHIRE
By Archie Bland
Fine, other counties have given the world
cultural figures that mean more than Lucy Pinder
or Craig David or Tara Palmer-Tomkinson. (Even
our greatest modern icon, Matthew Le Tissier,
actually comes from the Channel Islands.) Fine,
we haven’t got much in the way of local cuisine.
But you can keep yer Beatles and yer pasties:
Hampshire has kings. When Wessex was a nation,
and the Danes were knocking on the door, all of
south-west England looked to Winchester for
protection. You might not know much about King
Alfred beyond his cake-burning, but trust me, he
knocks the Windsors into a cocked hat. Royal
heritage, a top-class football team, and it’s
usually quite sunny: I’m suddenly wondering why
we didn’t put up border controls decades ago.

HERTFORDSHIRE
By David Connett
England at its quietest was how novelist E M
Forster described Hertfordshire. The unassuming
characteristics of a county experienced by most
of us only through the windows of the car or
train passing swiftly through on their way to
London or elsewhere should not be overlooked when
the question of independence is raised. More
fantastical schemes have been dreamed up at
Leavesden’s World of Harry Potter. Herts resident
Rupert Grint as head of state, anyone? We could
even change the currency to Galleons. Who would
argue with fellow resident Vinnie Jones in charge
of security? Others may bridle at old boy George
Michael as Culture minister but a toll on every
car and train passing through would soon see us in clover.

KENT
By Simon O'Hagan
I always thought my home county WAS a nation.
Back in the 11th century its good citizens saw
off William the Conqueror as he made his way
north from Hastings, earning Kent its motto of
“Invicta” (unconquered). So we’ve been separate
from the rest of England for nearly 1,000 years,
which is about how long it feels like Gillingham
Football Club have been trying to get into the
Premier League. No matter. We punch above our
weight in other ways: apples, hops, oil
refineries, white cliffs, high-speed rail links,
and archbishops of Canterbury. And we’d have Mick Jagger’s head on our stamps.

LANCASHIRE
By Chris Maume
The seat of the Industrial Revolution, the county
that made Britain great. And we still have plenty
of industry to keep us going today, plus great
football teams and great music – and to those who
protest that Liverpool and Manchester don’t
count, I contend that Lancashire’s boundaries
used to encompass both those cities, and as a new
nation we would seek to correct the “historical
mistake”, as Mr Putin would say, of allowing them
to be stolen from us in the Metropolitan Reshuffle Scandal of 1971.

LEICESTERSHIRE
By Sean O'Grady
Can we conceive of a territory with the emblem of
a pork pie rampant as its symbol of nationhood?
Yes, indeed, the home of the Melton Mowbray
delicacy (already a protected brand under
European law) has much to commend itself. The
county, and the great enterprising multicultural
melting pot that is Leicester at its warm heart,
leads the nation in so many ways. Top sports
teams in every field: rugger, cricket and now a
return to premiership football; fox hunting,
(nowadays mercifully without the accompanying
torture of an innocent wild animal); Britain’s
favourite potato crisp (Walkers); and the finest
Indian restaurants and chippies you could wish
for. Two fine universities, picturesque ancient
villages in gently undulating countryside with
wonderful names (Great Dalby, Little Dalby,
Frisby-on-the-Wreake, Tur Langton, Barton in the
Beans), a history of settlement back to pre-Roman
times, the National Space Centre, Everards ales,
Pukka Pies, the biggest John Lewis in the world,
Richard III, magnificent architectural heritage
and our very own miniature statue of liberty
completes the compelling national case. Prime
Minister Gary Lineker awaits the call.

LINCOLNSHIRE
By Dan Gledhill
When asked, “where do you come from?”, there are
few better conversation killers than
“Lincolnshire”. Well, if that’s your attitude

Combining a rugged north and a flat-as-a-pancake
south, the land of the “Yeller Belly” boasts some
of the finest beaches in Britain. It is the fair
county that spawned Isaac Newton, Margaret
Thatcher and Abi Titmuss. Lincoln Minster was
once the tallest man-made structure in the world.
There’s a straight road that goes on for seven
miles. How different do we have to be before our minority status is recognised?

NORFOLK
By John Clarke
Those lucky enough to come from Norfolk always
had one golden rule. “We do different.” Perhaps
it’s the fact that the county’s stuck out in the
North Sea, battered by winds straight from
Siberia in winter but blessed by miles of golden
beaches that make this county not only different
but seemingly isolated from the rest of the UK.
Going to Norfolk is a conscious decision. It’s
not on the way to anywhere else and isn’t
somewhere you can just pass through. Driving up
the notoriously over-used but under-developed A11
brings you to proud city of Norwich, which boasts
a Norman Cathedral, a Norman Castle and premier
league football team (although that status is
currently under threat). Detractors may point to
Alan Partridge, but he has little to do with the
true Norfolk, as Dick Van Dyke does with
Cockneys. Instead, think of Nelson, a
Norfolk-bred national hero, or Thomas Paine, the
revolutionary who helped America towards
independence – and can inspire Norfolk’s own.

NORTHUMBERLAND
By Joseph Charlton
Northumberland has always been an exceptional
county. We boasted a Kingdom from 654 to 954AD,
our forebears include Sting, Bryan Ferry and the
Venerable Bede, and we’re no stranger to “status”
awards here, either – having last year been
granted “dark sky status” for the county’s
exceptionally dark nights and starry skies. That
bright firmament illuminates a world of wonder
and spectacle underneath:  rolling, heather-clad
hills, two football clubs both alike in hatred
for one another, and a set of the fairer sex
given to a perfunctory dress-code at best,
whatever the season. Minority status is clearly
the next logical step for a county of such
singular disposition. Besides, if Parliament
doesn’t recognise our rights soon, they’ll have
to compete with an independent Scotland for our
affections, and who says Alex Salmond couldn’t
turn out to be the annexing type? Joseph Charlton

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
By Richard Askwith
Northamptonshire has no need of independence.
Splayed across the centre of both England and
(pretty much) the UK, we’re used to rubbing along
happily with people from all parts. Then again,
if you all want to secede from us, we’ll manage
fine on our own. We’re relatively prosperous,
uncrowded, rural but not chocolate-boxy,
unpretentious, well-connected (by road, rail and
canal), proficient in several sports, with small,
slightly sleepy towns and a cultural heritage
that spans the social strata, from the super-posh
Spencers to John Clare, poet of the peasantry. I
suppose it might be tempting, in an
every-county-for-itself free-for-all, to invade
Lincolnshire; but I suspect we’d think better of
it. Access to the sea isn’t all it’s cracked up
to be in an age of rising sea-levels. And,  with
everything we need in our own county, why go looking for trouble?

NOTTINGHAM
By Alex Lawson
Nottinghamshire is the county upon which
Britain’s cultural pillars have been built – pubs
and football. Nottingham’s natural parliament is
Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, a public house dating
back to 1189and widely recognised as Britain’s
oldest watering hole. On the pitch, Notts County,
formed in 1862, proudly boast their status as the
world’s oldest professional league club while
neighbours across the river Nottingham Forest
have two European Cups to their name.
Nottinghamshire also has a natural leader to
adorn its fledgling flag. Robin Hood, the
philanthropic founder of a conscientious economy,
is a global hero inspiring men to wear green
tights, tourists to brave Sherwood Forest and
Bryan Adams to dominate the charts.

RUTLAND
By Sean O'Grady
Small can be beautiful and here we have a
miniature nation state that can trace an almost
continuous heritage of administrative
independence since 1159, (barring a Crimea-style
annexation by Leicestershire between 1974 and
1994), making it far older than many upstarts
such as San Marino or Monaco – these latter
demonstrating how things could work out for our
own Lilliput. Oakham and Uppingham pass for
metropolises, both charming market towns.
Economic viability derives from its fine
farmland, nice pubs and of course Rutland Water,
an extremely valuable man-made resource. Eric
Idle would be the patron saint of the new state,
having pioneered the idea of nationhood through
the invention of Rutland Weekend Television in
the 1970s, compete with the pop group the
Ruttles, who stand easy comparison with their
more successful Liverpudlian rivals. First prime
minister could easily be diminutive government
minister and local MP, Alan Duncan, truly a small
fish in a small pond. As the county motto says, “much in little”.

SHROPSHIRE
By Alex Johnson
Bigger, better, older, cleverer, Shropshire is
the county that doesn’t shout loudest but quietly
paves the way for the rest to follow. World’s
first skyscraper? That’ll be Ditherington flax
mill near Shrewsbury. Birthplace of the modern
Olympics? Welcome to Much Wenlock. Home to the
first British parliament? Not London, but Acton
Burnell. Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution?
Lovely Ironbridge. Looking for proper nobility?
The real King Arthur didn’t come from down south,
but ruled a huge kingdom from his base in
Wroxeter. Not only that, but the people are nice too.

SOMERSET
By Chris Hewett
The Somerset Separationists hold regular meetings
beneath a soggy hayrick on the outskirts of
Nempnett Thrubwell, fortified by hunks of finest
mature Cheddar, washed down by pints of foaming
Butcombe. Here, we recite from the gospel of
Fawlty Towers (John Cleese was born in
Weston-super-Mare) while re-enacting the glorious
battles of the English Civil War, during which
the county distinguished itself with a
right-thinking commitment to the Roundhead cause
(unlike the forelock-tugging Cornish, it is only
fair and reasonable to point out). John Pym,
defender of parliament, co-author of the Grand
Remonstrance, moving spirit behind the Solemn
League and Covenant and leader of the early
attacks on Charles I, was a local man. Our claim
to nationhood rests on the following indisputable
facts: we brew better than London, we party
better than London, especially in Glastonbury; we
play proper football – that is to say, rugby
union – and we build grander dwellings,
particularly in Bath. Oh yes, one other thing:
the first king of all England was crowned on the
site of Bath Abbey. Not that we like kings very much.

SURREY
By Matthew Champion
The county that gave the world cricket and
provided the backdrop for Kazakhstan’s greatest
cycling triumph is no longer the rustic backwater
our London cousins may like to think. So our
council seat may not even be in Surrey, and sites
of historical interest such as Hampton Court and
the Coronation Stone might technically be in
London. Granted, our literary history is
chequered; Ford Prefect actually turned out to be
a Betelgeusian and not from Guildford – our
largest and in fact only town – and H G Wells was
so inspired by the north Surrey countryside he
dedicated an entire book in the shape of The War
Of  The Worlds to its obliteration. Guildford
itself is in jeopardy of being subsumed into the
menacing-sounding Greater London Built-Up Area,
with the expansion of the boroughs-upon-Thames of
Richmond and Kingston an ever-present threat.
This is what the Saxon-stronghold of Surrey
represents, nothing less than the UK’s bulwark
against the London behemoth. The only way to
correct the north-south divide is to prevent the
capital’s southward creep. Make Surrey the
figurehead of the Home Counties Splinter Republic
and watch the country’s London-centric economy rebalance.

STAFFORDSHIRE
By John Lichfield
Staffordshire has more claims to minority,
separate status than almost any county. Are we
the Midlands or the North? Neither, we are
Staffordshire, the cultural watershed of England.
We have not just one incomprehensible form of
speech but two, mutually incomprehensible lingoes
: North Staffs and Black Country. We produced the
finest ever English footballer: Stanley Matthews.
We are linked to Cornwall  through china. That
is, of course, pottery china, not the People’s
Republic. Where would all that Cornish clay go if
it didn’t go to the Potteries to be made into dinner plates and toilets?

SUFFOLK
By Rachael Allum
The great nation of Suffolk? Certainly has a ring
to it, but given the lack of motorways in the
county, our complete disregard of the English
language and the population’s general penchant
for inbreeding, it would seem we’re already
functioning as an independent state. With
illustrious national foodstuffs such as Branston
Pickle, Bird’s custard and the fine ales produced
by Greene King in such high demand globally, our
economy is booming. And who needs footballing
success when you have a town full of diddy people
on horseback achieving sporting brilliance? Yes
the houses are painted pink and there’s a general
odour of sugar beet that hangs in the air, but
unless you own a tractor you can’t leave anyway.

SUSSEX
By Simon Calder
When the “Europe of 100 flags” finally arrives,
dissolving national frontiers in favour of
natural partitions, the six martlets of Sussex
will flutter proudly on the county standard.
Sussex has always been a land apart. It is
segregated from London’s suburban sprawl by the
North Downs, yet – thanks to 75 miles of splendid
shoreline – open to foreign cultures (as William
the Conqueror found to his advantage). To the
east, the boundary with Kent is blurred by the
mysterious wilderness of Romney Marsh, while the
western edge is punctuated by the city of
Chichester and the glories of Goodwood. Global
connectivity is ensured by the world’s busiest
single-runway airport, at Gatwick. However, since
the Sussex resorts of Eastbourne and Bognor are
habitually the sunniest places in Britain, and
exotic Brighton (pictured above) is the most
Continental city in the UK, there seems little
reason to stray beyond the ancient kingdom of the South Saxons.

WARWICKSHIRE
By Felicity Morse
Warwickshire gave birth to the nation’s Greatest
Briton: Shakespeare. Perhaps if we’d had our own
independence we wouldn’t have had our brilliant
bard poached by the smoky stages of the capital
and could have kept our shire’s bucolic identity.
It’s not just Stratford that makes Warwickshire
wonderful though. Coventry weathered the great
war with the type of morale exclusive to
Midlander. And then there’s Lady Godiva, the city
noblewoman who rode through the streets naked to
stop the oppressive taxation of the people. Would Boris do the same today?

WILTSHIRE
By Richard Hall
As far as its people are concerned, Wiltshire is
already a country. We have a healthy distrust of
outsiders, our own flag (a bustard against a
green and white striped background) and a dialect
that is incomprehensible to anyone outside of our
borders. We have a national monument in
Stonehenge (pictured above), a national religion
in cider and a national football team in Swindon
Town. Ah, come to think of it, perhaps we are better together. Richard Hall

YORKSHIRE
By Paul Bignell
Where to begin with Yorkshire’s claim to
nationhood? Us Yorkshire folk have known it’s the
best county for years, but had it confirmed to us
only last October when Lonely Planet declared it
as the Best Place in Europe and the Third Best
Region in the world. Yes, I accept all the
clichés – the great fish and chips in Whitby; the
rugged beauty of the north York moors; the gravy
sandwiches no one ever eats; the desolate Wolds
of Hockney’s paintings. But let’s look to the
future: cities such as Leeds and Sheffield which
have been reinventing themselves quietly over the
past decade. Bradford has become the world’s
first Unesco City of Film and there’s a new
state-of-the-art gallery in Wakefield. Add the
cosy, plentiful pubs in York, the tea rooms of
Harrogate the quirkiness of Hebden Bridge. Oh and
there’s something about a cycling event this year.

AND
 MERSEYSIDE?
By Katy Guest
With the best city (Liverpool), the most
glamorous beach (Formby), the finest views of
Wales, the two most mighty cathedrals and
possibly, just possibly the greatest football
team in England once again, Merseyside already
has everything it needs to stand alone as a
nation - even though apparently it’s not even a
county. It even has the best jokes. “Why did the
Scouse chicken cross the road softly? Because he
couldn’t walk hardly.” Should it need to,
Merseyside could revive the Albert Dock for
imports and exports, and bring in tourists
straight off the boat from New York to marvel at
Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields
 and Bidston Hill.
(Lancashire can keep the 4,000 holes.) Merseyside
even has its own national anthem, inspired by the
stalls of ye olde Birkenhead market: “We three
kings of Hamilton Square/ Selling knickers 2p a
pair/ They’re fantastic, no elastic/ That’s why our bums are bare.”

BUT WHAT ABOUT... MIDDLESEX?
By Rob Hastings
We’ve heard plenty of reasons for London
declaring self-rule: its huge population, its
self-supporting economy, and its strong cultural
identity. But for us Londoners living north of
the Thames, making the capital independent just
isn’t good enough. Travel south of the river, and
we might as well be in a different land - where
you have to walk miles for the Tube, and life
seems strangely cut off from the hustle and
bustle of the metropolis. So let’s wave goodbye
to south London and draw a national boundary
along the River Thames instead - reinstating the
ancient county of Middlesex and making it an
independent country. These days, Middlesex exists
purely as a cricket team and a postal district
for the likes of my family living out in Enfield.
But historically, its borders included the seat
of government in Westminster, the economic
powerhouse of the City, and almost all the most
famous sights of the capital. The old Middlesex
Guildhall is now home to the Supreme Court – the
highest judicial body in the land. So while some
people might dismiss Middlesex as the county that
doesn’t really exist, I’d argue that it has a
better chance of surviving as an independent
nation than any other shire in Britain. And if
you won’t accept it as a county, that would
effectively leave me stateless. Please don’t
force me to take it to the European Court of Human Rights.