Luddites Breaking the Frame gathering, May 2nd - 5th

Ned Ludd tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Feb 13 01:59:47 GMT 2014

1. Book now for Breaking the Frame gathering, May 2nd – 5th.
2. Feedback event for BTF gathering, Saturday February 15th.
[]

1. Book now for Breaking the Frame gathering, May 2nd – 5th.
The Breaking the Frame gathering is just less
than three months away and it's time to book your
place at one of the most exciting events of this
year.  We need your participation and input to
help us take a leap forward in radical politics.
Whether you’re interested in the politics of
food, energy, work, environment, gender, peace,
economics, health, etc., all these issues are
shaped by choices about technology made by
military, corporate and technocratic
elites.   The aim of the gathering is to change
the debate about technology, environment and
society, and to put the politics of technology
where it belongs, at the heart of radical
politics.  It's about a broad social and
political vision, not just a long list of issues
raised by technology.  And we will to do more
than just talk about the issues: we aim to create
a new network on the politics of technology,
which will strengthen existing campaigns and act as a platform for new ones.
Although the main focus will be on learning from
each other, we have some great speakers lined up
including Jerry Mander (International Forum on
Globalisation), Simon Fairlie (editor, The Land
Magazine), Hilary Wainwright (editor, Red
Pepper), Theo Simon (Stop Hinkley C), Danny
Chivers (No Dash for Gas). And it won't just be
talking and thinking - there will be hands on
workshops, music, poetry and time to explore the
beautiful grounds of Unstone Grange and the
surrounding Derbyshire countryside.  There will
be childcare available during the daytime so
parents can fully participate in the gathering.
So whether you are a technology politics
campaigner, trade unionist, radical
scientist/engineer, environmentalist, developer
of alternative technologies, artist, or plain
concerned citizen, Breaking the Frame is not to be missed.
For more on the ideas behind the gathering and to
check out the growing list of organisations
supporting it and taking part, visit
www.breakingtheframe.org.uk.  You can book
online, or print and post the attached
registration form.  We are committed to making
sure that no-one is excluded for financial
reasons, so we are subsiding places to make sure
the gathering is as cheap as possible.

2. London feedback meeting on February 15th
If you're in reach of London, we are holding an
event this Saturday afternoon to gather ideas and
input for the gathering.  We'd love to know what
you think about which organisations and people to
invite and the structure of the programme, as
well as what will make the gathering work for
you.  There will be time for discussion of the
ideas behind the gathering, including playing the
Luddites200 technology politics game.
The event will be at the Common House
(http://www.commonhouse.org.uk/), Unit 5E (press
the buzzer), 5 Pundersons Gardens, Bethnal Green,
London E2 9QG, from 1pm-5pm (bring lunch to share
from 12.15). If you're coming, it’s important to
let us know, by replying to this message or by texting 07854 256040.