Cable told come clean on Land Registry plans

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Feb 20 22:23:05 GMT 2014

Cable told come clean on Land Registry plans

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/news_and_events/pcs_comment/index.cfm/cable-told-come-clean-on-land-registry-plans
We are calling on business secretary Vince Cable
to publish future plans for the Land Registry as
the government lines it up for privatisation.
In our submission to the formal consultation on
proposed changes to the 150-year-old institution,
we accuse the government of misleading the public and businesses.
Ministers are withholding key and detailed
information about their plans for the body that
currently operates as a self-financing civil service 'trading fund'.
The government wants to split the Land Registry
into two, with the main part being run as either
a government-owned company or a joint venture.
The consultation document does not offer the
option of maintaining the status quo.
It also conveniently omits to mention that the
GovCo option has previously been identified by
auditors KPMG as an enabler for full privatisation.
We point out in our submission that the
government has failed to say why any changes are
necessary, given the registry has a customer
satisfaction rating of 98% and made £98.8 million for the Treasury last year.
The most serious omission is that the document
does not include detailed information about a new
operating model – including proposed changes to
the size and shape of the organisation – and this
is what we are calling on the government to publish.
If it continues to refuse to do this, the public
and businesses who rely on the services the Land
Registry provides will be unable to reach an informed view.
We are holding a briefing session for MPs on 26
February to highlight our concerns and make the
case for keeping the Land Registry public.
<http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/news_and_events/pcs_comment/index.cfm/http://action.pcs.org.uk/page/speakout/keep-land-registry-public>Email
your MP and ask them to attend our briefing