Swansea BioChar Permaculture C21 Agricultural Revolution

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Jan 8 22:11:15 GMT 2014

Swansea BioChar Permaculture Agricultural Revolution with Ed Revill
(Royal Society)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yh-qadP6bg (22mins)

Located in South Gower, a few miles from Swansea, Swansea Biochar is
where we implement the theories of soil carbon regeneration.
The vegetables produced are sold locally through a box scheme
delivery service. We use a horse drawn cart to deliver the vegetables
and so have a catchment area of around 2 miles radius.
The inputs of our system come from a local tree, garden and green
waste collection service. Other inputs come from atmospheric carbon
which is stabilised in the soil as glomalin.

We occasionally run workshops, open days, carbon negative meal days
and other events.
We need to move away from fossil fuels, yet the world population has
risen to 7bn on the back of burning fossil fuels. We need to use
different systems to produce our food and energy.
If we are not thoughtful and careful, gardening can be more
environmentally harmful than farming (per acre). There are techniques
of stabilising carbon in soil of interest to anybody wanting to live
and grow their own food whilst benefiting the Earth.
Here at Swansea Biochar we produce crops in ways which replenish
soils and reverse climate change whilst breaking dependence on fossil
fuels and other outside inputs. Our system combines two central principles;

1, We try to optimise the amount of carbon drawn down from the
atmosphere by plants.
2, We try to stabilise this carbon in soil to prevent it from being
released back into the atmosphere and to build soil.

Putting high carbon material such as wood or straw into your garden
is not the same thing as stabilising it. Stabilise it and you stop it
from decomposing, it will remain for hundreds or thousands of years
instead of just a few years.
We have developed stove systems which burn the volatile component of
wood and leave much of the carbon unburnt as biochar. These enable
people to produce crops and energy in ways which build soil by
stabilising carbon in soil. This is the reverse of most other ways of
producing food and energy, which release carbon into the atmosphere.
Stabilising carbon in soil reverses climate change.
Stabilised carbon in soil can maintain long term fertility of that
soil reducing the need for other inputs.
As well as producing and using biochar, we aim to encourage the
production of glomalin  through providing optimal conditions for
Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi (AMF).
These forms of stabilised soil carbon can be used to promote soil
aggregation; soil structures which bind other soil components
together in the soil.
If we get our food and energy in ways which build soil through
stabilising carbon in soil then we reverse our ecological footprint
and live in ways which enhance life on Earth.
http://www.soil-carbon-regeneration.co.uk