George Orwell gave Michael Foot an inscribed book on The Diggers

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Jun 10 23:12:41 BST 2014

'Nineteen Eighty-Four' book vigils in Thailand

 From his comfortable seat in eternity, George Orwell is no doubt
giving a wry "go for it" smile this week as he gazes down on the
streets of Bangkok where Gandhi-like "1984 protests" have been
organized against the anti-association laws and propaganda of
Thailand's new military junta. "Confrontation is not the way,"
activists announce as hundreds gather, each with their own copy of
Orwell's book to read in their silent mass vigils.

The Thai people have gazed across the world to Egypt too, and seen
leader of the US-backed military coup Abdel Fattah el-Sisi come to
power in a sham election where the majority Muslim Brotherhood
opposition is banned. They've seen too the bombing of the separatists
in Ukraine despite their referendum vote to secede from Kiev. The
message from Bangkok is that the will of the people is all that
matters and any lies about "democracy" in the Western media are not
fooling them.

George Orwell's candle

While Orwell is best known for his dystopic 1984, other tomes, the
autobiographical "Road to Wigan Pier" and "Homage to Catalonia" are
full of glimpses of a future where the community has thrown off the
yoke of the "owner class." Where those in authority look after folk
rather than search for new ways to control them.

He sees Machiavellian fanatics' obsession for power of as a kind of
curse humanity has been struggling for centuries to shake off, and
shows us where he's seen the seeds of that newfound freedom
growing."Yes," he seems to be telling us, "there really is plenty to
go round so that everybody can fulfill their potential and live in
dignity, with not one human being excluded."

In an expression which has been picked up by Amnesty International,
"It is better light a candle than to curse the darkness." And Orwell
did just that for the next generation of radicals when he handed an
inscribed copy of one of the earliest books about England's 17th
century Diggers to the man who was later to lead Britain's Labour
Party, Michael Foot. Orwell was cheered to see these English Civil
War radicals prefiguring many of the most exciting ideas he'd picked
up fighting Franco's fascists in the Spanish Civil War.

"The Digger Movement in the Days of The Commonwealth" was one of the
first books to examine the seventeenth century English collectivists
who advocated a return to communal management and ownership of land,
and walked the talk too. Gerrard Winstanley's Digger pamphlets were
printed on unlicensed presses and his ideas inspired Marx and social
justice campaigners from Thomas Paine to the Chartists.

Some of Winstanley's original pamphlets have the mischievous words
"Printed in a Corner of Freedom Close by the House of Commons" on the
front page to remind readers the publisher was breaking the 17th
century licensing laws. Today's editors must stick to their
principles and break these unjust super-injunctions if today's
embarrassing truths are to come out and the ambitious and powerful
are to be held to account.

But we need George's candle because we find ourselves in Oceania, in
that perpetual War on Terror. Yes, and in case you hadn't noticed
president Obama's policy of troop withdrawal from Europe has just
been reversed in the blink of an eye. Power has slipped from our
hands into those of banks, corporations and a cult-like set whose
only thing in common seems to be how little they care about the rest of us.

With copies of "Homage to Catalonia" in our hands, and the dangerous
ideas of freedom the internet has brought us over the last 20 years
in our heads, the poverty they want to crush our spirit is instead
bringing us together.

The next generation are educating and organizing through
environmental, church and neighborhood groups so not even the
best-dressed, squeaky-cleanest TV politician can pull the wool over
our eyes now.

http://rt.com/op-edge/164204-orwell-intelligence-rewriting-history/