BBC Radio 4 - Housing: Where Will We All Live?

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 18:38:30 BST 2014

BBC Radio 4 - Housing: Where Will We All Live?
It's been identified as the single biggest threat
to the British economy: we are simply not
building enough homes. In this debate recorded at
the London School of Economics and Political
Science, BBC Social Affairs Editor Mark Easton
and a panel of guests discuss why the problem has
developed and how best to fix it. They will hear
the stories of people who are both desperate for
new homes and from those who oppose wanton
destruction of precious areas of countryside.
Producer: Lucy Ash  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046rbm7

Living in an airing cupboard is no joke but the
housing crisis forced me to do it

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/11/living-airing-cupboard-housing-crisis-rent
Apparently I should accept my lot as a renter
while lining the pockets of the richest in society. No thanks
    *
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/11/http://www.theguardian.com/profile/holly-baxter>Holly
Baxter -
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/11/http://www.theguardian.com/>theguardian.com,
Wednesday 11 June 2014 12.18 BST
'I was expecting to hear practical solutions to
the housing crisis, and a drive to burst the
bubble. Instead, excessive pandering to landlords
and an insistence that my experience was
anomalous seemed to dominate.' Photograph: Business Visual/Rex
Not too long ago, I did a stint living in an
airing cupboard. It's a funny story, really – one
that I've written about a few times to honestly
describe where Vagenda, the online magazine I
co-edit, started. It's memorable, it gets a
giggle, and I've been asked no fewer than three
times by BBC Radio 4 to go on air to describe it.
The most recent occasion was this week, when I
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/11/http://www.lse.ac.uk/publicEvents/events/2014/06/20140609t1830vOT.aspx>addressed
a panel led by housing experts including Richard
Blakeway, London's deputy mayor for housing, land
and property, Rachel Fischer, a head of policy
for the National Housing Federation and Mark
Easton, the BBC home affairs editor. Once again,
when I stood up and told the story, people laughed.
Unfortunately, the reality of living in an airing
cupboard isn't as funny as it sounds. It's a lack
of windows, a complete dearth of personal
privacy, a secret that you don't tell your
co-workers. It's no access to electrical outlets.
It's washing your tights in the bathroom sink and
then drying them with a hairdryer in the hallway
before work. It's curling up into the foetal
position under a blanket beside the boiler,
hearing it click loudly on and off every morning
at 4am beside your head. It's humiliation and loneliness.
My co-editor,
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/11/http://www.theguardian.com/profile/rhiannon-lucy-cosslett>Rhiannon,
who offered up the cupboard in question, did so
out of kindness because I had just found myself a
job and had nowhere to stay. All of our recently
graduated friends were either bouncing from place
to place as the "hidden homeless", or crammed
into rented accommodation that had long had its
communal areas reduced to galley kitchens. That
meant no lounge, no sofa to kip on for friends in
need, and certainly no spare bedrooms. I
considered myself lucky to get a cupboard for the
five weeks it took me to receive my first pay
cheque, just enough to put down a rental deposit
on a bedroom in a dilapidated shared house with
strangers. That's where I continue to live.
This isn't what I consider a sob story, but a
success story. My current accommodation is far
superior to a large chunk of my friends'. I have
my own room in a place where our landlord has
maintained communal areas rather than turning
them into more bedrooms. Seventy per cent of my
salary goes on rent, which is normal among my
peers – but I'm well aware that this situation isn't right.
As I sat at the BBC debate, which will be aired
on
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/11/http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046rbm7>Radio
4 on Wednesday at 8pm, I was told repeatedly by
Blakeway,
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/11/http://metro.co.uk/2012/04/10/boris-johnson-accused-of-cronyism-as-100000-earners-rocket-383413/>Boris
Johnson's housing sidekick, that my problems
would have been solved if businesses gave their
employees loans for rental deposits in the way
that they do for season tickets on trains. Of
course, that would have liberated me from the
airing cupboard, but it wouldn't have solved the
present situation. He also suggested that shared
ownership was the way forward, even though no
young person I have spoken to finds that an
attractive option. Fischer said I was a victim of
a society that is "obsessed with home ownership",
and that maybe I should accept my lot while
lining the pockets of the richest in society.
The fact that such a distinguished panel were
hopelessly out of touch with the reality of
housing left me deflated. I was expecting to hear
practical solutions to the housing crisis, and a
drive to burst the bubble. Instead, excessive
pandering to landlords and an insistence that my
experience was anomalous seemed to dominate. But
the fact remains that my experience is the norm for people my age.
The only person who did speak passionately and
sensibly about the issue was the designer
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/11/http://www.theguardian.com/profile/wayne-hemingway>Wayne
Hemingway. He mentioned the psychological
benefits of being able to decorate your home, of
being able to choose your own furnishings, of
choosing the other people you live with. It was
the only acknowledgement I heard all night that
the statistics about my generation had human faces behind them.
Around the time I spent in the cupboard, I went
to a party in an abandoned mansion that was being
cleared of its squatter inhabitants. I walked
along a road I never could have guessed existed,
comprised of palatial property after palatial
property, many of which stood empty. Then I went
back to my home which had been officially
declared uninhabitable months before, the one
without heating or a bathroom. The panel debating
housing would have it that neither those empty
mansions nor the illegal flat that I lived in
exist. But I know they do, because I've been there.