Bilderberg supremo Ken Clarke's homeless punishment law in Belsize Park

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Mar 15 12:05:54 GMT 2014

Police raid crushes squatting protest in Belsize Park
Arrests: police smash their way into the building
in Southampton Road, Belsize Park, and, top
right, lead a man away. Bottom right, the
squatters’ banner Picture: Alex Lentati
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/police-raid-crushes-squatting-protest-in-belsize-park-9153968.html

  Mark Blunden  Published: 26 February 2014
Emacs!

Police have raided a building that was occupied
by squatters in protest at the sell-off of public housing.
About 10 people had been staying in the former
council-owned property "in shifts" before
officers used a battering ram to smash the front door.
A man and a woman were arrested and taken away in
a riot van. Another man was bundled to the
pavement but later released without charge. A
sergeant at the scene said the pair were held on
suspicion of breaking the Legal Aid, Sentencing
and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012, which
criminalises squatting in a residential building.
The released man, who gave his name as Harris
Fletcher, 23, said: "We’re here to protest about
the sell-off of council housing. We came to
support the people inside after hearing the
police were illegally threatening to break in."
The property in Southampton Road, Belsize Park,
includes a former party shop and flats above.
Neighbours said it had been  empty and had fallen
into disrepair. Camden council sold it at auction
for £860,000. Two others nearby fetched £1.52 million.
Camden said the buildings were commercial
premises with "live/work" flats and proceeds from
the sales would help  finance 1,100 new council
homes. The occupation was organised by Camden
Housing Action Group, which accused the Labour
council of breaking a promise not to sell housing stock.
There are more than 27,000 people on the
borough’s housing waiting list. Anna Gardener, of
the action group, said the sell-off was
"exacerbating the housing crisis and amounts to
social cleansing as low-income residents are forced out of Zones 1 and 2".
Theo Blackwell, Camden’s cabinet member for
finance, said: "I’ve sympathy with any protester
who says no to selling off council homes, but
they’ve got the wrong end of the stick. These
buildings were never council flats. They were
coming to the end of their leases. We’re using
the money to build council homes down the road."
A 28-year-old woman and a 27-year-old man were
charged with trespassing in a residential
building and will appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates on Friday.