Court ruling: The Bill of Rights 1689 still stands

Alison Banville alisonbanville at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 11 16:25:18 BST 2014

http://www.bwmaonline.com/Legal%20-%20New%20doubts%20-%20Thoburn%20conviction.htm

I was watching a programme the other night about parking and one guy, in his appeals hearing, quoted the Bill of Rights 1689:

 "That all grants and promises of  fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction are illegal and  void".

The appeal adjudicator dismissed this saying that a court case had cleared that up and so the Bil of Rights no longer applied. The article below, however, highlights a court ruling which declares said Bill still stands. Now we all know the elites will not allow the project of collecting revenue from the population to be derailed by anything as inconvenient as the truth (in the same way as the US and its allies ignore international law in order to invade sovereign countries for hegenomic purposes) but does that mean we should stay quiet about these things?
A significant inconsistency has appeared in the
February 2002 ruling that convicted Steven Thoburn of a crime for selling
bananas by the pound.
A member of the public who received
a parking fine through the post refused to pay the fine by quoting the Bill of
Rights Act 1689:
>"That all grants and promises of
fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction are illegal and
void".
>"Before conviction" means that no
fine or forfeit can be imposed until and unless the individual is convicted in a
court of law.
>Of course, under constitutional
law, the Bill of Rights Act 1689 gives way to the Road Traffic Acts of 1991 and
1994. This is because Road Traffic Acts provide for penalties outside of
a court and, under British law, it is the later Act that takes
precedence. Thus, the Road Traffic Acts of 1991 and 1994 repeal the Bill of
Rights Act to the extent that they differ.
ruling in the case of the "Metric Martyrs" (sections 62 and 63) said:
>"We should recognise a hierarchy of
Acts of Parliament: as it were "ordinary" statutes and "constitutional
statutes". The special status of constitutional statutes follows the special
status of constitutional rights. Examples are the Magna Carta, Bill of Rights
1689 … Ordinary statutes may be impliedly repealed. Constitutional statutes may
not…"
>Thus, the Divisional Court ruled,
the European Communities Act 1972, requiring metric, could and must repeal the
Weights and Measures Act 1985 (allowing pounds and ounces), because the former
was a "constitutional act" and the latter "ordinary". This is the point on which
Sunderland greengrocer Steven Thoburn and his co-defendants were convicted as
criminals for selling in pounds and ounces.
>Herein lies the conflict. During
the 1990s, the majority of local councils in England and Wales "decriminalised"
the levying of parking fines. This means that, instead of referring disputes
over penalties to legal bodies such as magistates courts, now, disputes are
heard by administrative bodies:
>	* For London, the Parking
and Traffic Appeals Service
>	* For England and Wales, outside
London, the National Parking Adjudication Service
>But if the Divisional Court's
ruling is true, Local Authorities covered by the above two schemes, are now
acting unlawfully, since the Bill of Rights Act 1689 was specifically classified
as a "constitutional Act". The Road Traffic Acts 1991 and 1994 others like it
are, by contrast, "ordinary" Acts. Unless the road traffic acts expressly refer
to the fundamental rights laid down by the Bill of Rights Act (which they do
not), they must fall by the wayside since, according to the Divisional Court,
the Bill of Rights Act cannot be impliedly repealed. It is a constitutional Act
that protects our "constitutional rights".
>So, if constitutional Acts like the
Bill of Rights and the European Communities Act cannot be impliedly repealed,
why are local authorities still collecting penalties from the public without
conviction? Presumably, local authorities do so because they do not agree with
the Divisional Court; they believe that the Bill of Rights Act was repealed
impliedly by the Road Traffic Act. But, if this is so, what is the legal
basis for prosecuting traders using pounds and ounces?
>Please note, BWMA is
unable to give advice or support regarding parking ticket disputes. Please
instead visit: http://www.parkingappeals.co.uk
For further information:

>The Bill of Rights Act 1689 - background and text in
full
>The Claim of Right Act 1689 (applying to Scotland) - in
full
>An
article: "A Silver Lining from the Case of the Metric
Martyrs"
>Another article: "Is Divorce a
conviction?"
>Read Christopher Booker's Notebook
>Why BWMA says pounds and ounces are still
lawful
>Article: "Whose Law is it anyway?"
>Opinion: "The Metric Martyrs and the
Constitution"
>The 18
February 2002 Divisional Court ruling in full
>The Freedom of Information Act
2000