Why we are on strike over plans to privatise the Land Registry

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed May 14 11:30:42 BST 2014

Why we are on strike over plans to privatise the Land Registry

http://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2014/may/14/land-registry-strike-privatise-government-proposal
Government's secret proposal to sell off the Land
Registry could lead to mass job losses and erode transparency
<http://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2014/may/01/no-evidence-outsourcing-public-services-works>•
There's no evidence outsourcing public services ever works
    * Michael Kavanagh, PCS -
<http://www.theguardian.com/guardian-professional-networks/all>Guardian
Professional, Wednesday 14 May 2014 09.00 BST
Haworth village hillside houses, Yorkshire

The first questions to ask when any major change
is proposed should be: why? What problem are you
trying to fix? What would be the benefits of doing it differently?

Despite proposing a fundamental transformation of
the 150-year-old system of land registration, the
government has failed to answer these questions.

Under the
<https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/land-registry-new-service-delivery-company>recent
consultation by the Department for Business,
Innovation and Skills, overseen by business
minister Michael Fallon, the Land Registry could
remain in the
<http://www.theguardian.com/politics/civil-service>civil
service. But there is clearly no appetite for
this among ministers and senior officials, as
both the consultation document and
the<http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/05/land-registry-privatisation-plans-revealed>secret
minutes published by the Guardian last week made
clear. The intention is to strip the bulk of the
agency of its civil service status and hive it
off into a new "service delivery company" as a
precursor, we believe, to a full-scale sell-off.

To understand what is at stake – and why we are
on strike today and tomorrow,14 and 15 May – you
have to first understand the Land Registry's role
in the daily, often complex changes in land ownership in England and Wales.

Key among the organisation's many functions are
quasi-judicial decisions on ownership and
transfers, granting title and, crucially,
guaranteeing legal rights on behalf of the state.
This is not just of fundamental importance to
homeowners, but an essential feature of our
economy. The backbone of the system is its
freedom from outside influence and commercial interest.

In his submission to the business department's
consultation, former
<http://www.savethelandregistry.co.uk/#!John-Manthorpe-Former-Chief-Land-Registrar-letter-to-the-Guardian/c16u/C37C6938-37E6-440D-98E8-084DC343210E>chief
land registrar John Manthorpe puts it simply but
eloquently: "What would otherwise be hidden is
synthesised into a common, guaranteed and public
record open to all. Security, confidence,
<http://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/transparency>transparency,
choice – all become possible."

This means security and confidence for banks and
building societies as well as individuals. If
banks lost faith in the security of title or
property ownership, they would be less inclined
to lend to buyers and the property market would be in crisis.

Operating as a civil service trading fund, the
registry receives no public money and adheres to
strict rules to ensure surpluses are used to
reduce the fees paid by users of the registry. It
exemplifies the difference between public service and private profit.

The agency is also currently bound by government
<http://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/policy>policy
on procurement, designed to assist small and
medium-sized businesses to compete against the
oligopoly of large suppliers. But BIS has
identified this as a problem, claiming greater
flexibility in the private sector to buy goods
and services. In a truly astonishing move, a
government agency faces being changed into a
commercial company so it can avoid the very
controls the government brought in to protect
small businesses. This shows how poorly thought through the proposal is.

We have seen – but cannot disclose because of a
confidentiality agreement – the details of
unpublished plans to radically alter the way the
Land Registry operates, which would mean mass job
losses and office closures and to which this
<http://www.theguardian.com/politics/privatisation>privatisation
proposal is inextricably linked. We asked the
government to publish and fully consult on these
plans but it has flatly refused. We have also
repeatedly asked the agency's chief executive, Ed
Lester, for assurances there will be no
compulsory redundancies, but he has promised the exact opposite.

We are immensely proud of our work, and
confidence and trust in us is impressively high,
whether measured against other public services or
profit-making businesses. We have the support of
industry professionals and when the results of
the consultation are published, we believe they
will show the vast majority of respondents are
utterly opposed to any notion of a sell-off.

The government's rationale is not just paper
thin, it is non-existent. There is no problem
that needs fixing. This is why we have been
forced to take strike action, and we will
continue campaigning until these ill-thought
through and politically motivated plans are ditched.

Michael Kavanagh, president of Public and
Commercial Services (PCS) union's Land Registry
group. More than 3,000 PCS members work for the Land Registry

• Want your say? Email us at public.leaders at theguardian.com

<https://register.guardian.co.uk/public-leaders/>Join
the Public Leaders Network for more comment,
analysis and
<http://jobs.theguardian.com/jobs/government-and-politics/senior-executive/>job
opportunities, direct to your inbox. Follow us on
twitter via<https://twitter.com/guardianpublic>@Guardianpublic