Bilderberg conference 2014: eating our politicians for breakfast

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat May 31 12:32:32 BST 2014

Bilderberg conference 2014: eating our politicians for breakfast

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/30/bilderberg-copenhagen-2014-osborne-mandelson-balls
George Osborne, Lord Mandelson, Ed Balls and Eric
Schmidt arrive for day two of the conference in Copenhagen
    * <http://www.theguardian.com/profile/charlie-skelton>Charlie Skelton
    *
<http://www.theguardian.com/>theguardian.com, Friday 30 May 2014 23.44 BST
    *
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/30/bilderberg-copenhagen-2014-osborne-mandelson-balls#start-of-comments>Jump
to comments (75)
[]

George Osborne and John Micklethwait. All photos: Hannah Borno

So here he is, our esteemed chancellor of the
exchequer, George Osborne, arriving at the 2014
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/bilderberg>Bilderberg
in Copenhagen. In a snappy suit, and with a new
razor-sharp hairdo, Osborne looks ready for
business. You could skin a goat with that fringe.
He probably got a trim and a shoe polish at the
airport, wanting to look his best for the conference.

Osborne rolled up to the hotel with John
Micklethwait, the editor-in-chief of the
Economist and board member of the Economist
Group. This year, in all, there are three members
of the Economist board at Bilderberg:
Micklethwait, John Elkann (the billionaire
Agnelli heir) and Eric Schmidt (the executive chairman of Google).

During his stay in Copenhagen, Osborne will also
have the chance to hammer out economic policy
with three senior members of Goldman Sachs, three
board members of Shell Oil, and two people whose
nickname is "the Prince of Darkness" – Richard Perle and Peter Mandelson.
[]
Peter Mandelson

Here's Mandy – or should I say, the chairman of
Lazard International – arriving now. Mandelson
perfectly embodies the ghastly, muddy fudge of
public and private that so typifies the
atmosphere at Bilderberg. Throw a rock and hit a
public servant turned investment banker.
Actually, don't throw a rock, because this guy
will have your brains on the pavement before you can say "revolving door".
[]
Security guard

Mandelson's boss at Lazard is also here in Copenhagen: Kenneth M Jacobs.

He's the chairman and CEO of the investment bank,
and also sits on the board of trustees of the
Brookings Institution. This year's Bilderberg
seems quite Brookings-heavy. Jacob's has two
fellow trustees in Copenhagen: Klaus Kleinfeld
(the CEO of Alcoa) and Paul Achleitner (the head
of Deutsche Bank) – both of whom also happen to
on the board of Bayer, the multinational pharmaceutical company. Cosy.

There are so many interwoven corporate,
think-tank and advisory board relationships at
Bilderberg it fries your brain to try and unpick
them. Take John Elkann for example – the board
member of the Economist and part-time knitwear catalogue model.
[]
John Elkann

Elkann is another Brookings connection: he sits
on Brookings' International Advisory Council
alongside Marcus Wallenberg (one of the two
Wallenberg billionaires here this year) and the
always dapper Nicolas Berggruen – seen here
having a 'moment' with one of the conference
staff. Berggruen Holdings has a net equity in
excess of $2bn. No wonder he's laughing. Also, to
be fair, it always gives him a cheery glow to
have someone fired for leaving a bottle of Windolene in the back of his limo.
[]
Nicholas Berggruen

Billionaire Berggruen runs the Institute on Good
Governance, a think tank aimed at promoting
"globalization 2.0", which sounds like a sequel
so terrible that Nicholas Berggruen will probably
find himself being played by Adam Sandler.

One of the main projects of The Institute for
Good Governance is the '21st Century Council',
which features three of this year's
Bilderbergers: the ubiquitous Eric Schmidt, Reid
Hoffman of LinkedIn, and the publisher Juan Luis Cebrián.

Everyone here's so profoundly interrelated you
expect them all to have seven toes, three knees
and drink champagne through their ears.
<http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228354.500-revealed-the-capitalist-network-that-runs-the-world.html#.U4j2N_aTfe4>It's
like one gigantic, pulsing amoeboid corporation,
held together by a sticky mesh of board
memberships and advisory councils. It gloops
hungrily along, oozing cash like a snail trail,
digesting every politician and policymaker in its path.

Which makes me feel kind of sorry for Ed Balls.
Particularly after he made what has to be the
worst entrance to a conference in
conference-entering history. Balls arrived at the
gate without his security pass, spent ages trying
to find it amongst the great armful of files he
was huffing along with him, and ended up flapping
some ID at a policeman, saying: "That's my name,
I'm on the list". Sadly for Balls,
<http://www.infowars.com/bilderberg-files-caught-on-camera/>his
frustration was caught on camera by an Infowars
reporter, and the resulting footage makes painful
viewing. And by painful I mean hilarious. And by hilarious I mean poignant.

A flustered Balls was escorted around to another
entrance, carefully scrutinized, and finally
allowed in. Once he'd got through security his
assurance returned and a triumphant Ed strode magnificently into the lobby.
[]
Ed Balls

He looks like the cat who got the cream. And then
went back for more cream. And then found half a
chicken at the back of the fridge and had that as well.

Perhaps Balls will be persuaded by some of his
fellow conference goers to join them on their
daily jogs. Here's Facebook board member Peter
Thiel, setting off for trot along the waterfront.
[]
Peter Thiel

You've never seen anyone take his jogging more
seriously than Thiel. The frown doesn't leave his
face for a second. In fact, his face has been
locked in a granite frown since he arrived at the hotel.
[]
Peter Thiel

Someone should warn him he's going to get crow's
feet. Or maybe he thinks that by the time he's
due for wrinkles he'll already have melded with
AI and be sharing a kind of ageless cyberternity with Eric Schmidt.

Here's Schmidt himself, enjoying a cosy patio
chat during the lunch break with his fellow
tech-head Alex Karp, CEO of Palantir
Technologies, the data analysis and surveillance
software company (which was co-funded by Thiel and the CIA).
[]
Eric Schmidt, Alex Karp and Viviane Reding

Karp and Schmidt are deep in conversation with
Viviane Reding, the EU commissioner who said
recently that the
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2556397/%20Britons-ignorant-EU-referendum-Top-official-says-debate-Europe-distorted-people-not-make-informed-decision.html>British
public were unable to make an "informed decision" about Europe.

Far better that decisions about Europe are taken
by wiser heads, like those hobnobbing at
Bilderberg. Heads belonging to people like "EU
doyen" Viscount Davignon, seen here (on the
right) enjoying a smoke with former World Bank
boss (now private equity investor) James Wolfensohn.
[]
James Wolfensohn and Viscount Davignon

Wolfensohn looks like he's glad to be out of that
heavy morning session on "What next for Europe?"
Wolfensohn arrived at this year's conference with
another megarich investor, Roger C. Altman, the
executive chairman of Evercore, the "premier
independent investment banking advisory firm".

Altman followed Thiel's example, and popped out
for a jog after he arrived at the hotel, although
he found it tricky to snake his way out through the heavy security.
[]
Roger C Altman

All this patio chit-chat and ostentatious jogging
about Copenhagen seems like a new venture for
Bilderberg: as if they're doing their level best
to look normal and relaxed. At lunchtime, the
delegates were led out on the patio by the
conference organisers, who spent the whole time
beadily watching the cameras. If I were a
suspicious person by nature, which I am, I'd
suspect this of being a bit of a PR experiment for the group.
[]
People-watching on the patio

Over the last few years they've found themselves
under so much more media scrutiny than usual that
they've decided to show off a new "informal"
front. I slightly admire them for trying.
Although I'd admire them a hell of a lot more if
they stopped behaving like children and held a
press conference and released the minutes of the meetings.

Either that or they could give us our politicians
back. Ideally before they've digested their
backbones and spat them back out on into the
carpark. Actually, you know what, they can keep Ed Balls as part of the deal.

Keep Balls and release the minutes. Have we got a deal?