Royals get £200k Housing Benefit, live in biggest council house in Britain, Buckingham Palace

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Nov 11 01:38:43 GMT 2014

Royals on Benefits Street: The Queen and Prince
Charles accused of receiving thousands in housing benefits every year

http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2014/02/royals-on-benefits-street-the-queen-and-prince-charles-accused-of-receiving-thousands-in-housing-benefits-every-year

By
<http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2014/02/http://www.closeronline.co.uk/author/kayleigh-dray>Kayleigh
DrayOnline Deputy EditorTuesday 25 February 2014

New reports claim that the Queen and Prince
Charles receive thousands of pounds in housing benefits every single year
The Royals reportedly receive tens of thousands
of pounds a year in housing benefits that are
paid by local authorities to landlords.
According to The Mirror, Prince Charles’ Duchy of
Cornwall Estate, which has an array of properties
across the South West, was paid "at least
£163,000 from a string of councils providing cash to households".
The newspaper also reported that the Crown
Estate, which gives the Queen 15% of its revenue,
received "at least £38,539 in housing benefit
payments from just one town hall last year".
Campaigners Defend Council Housing joined the
growing call for a
<http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2014/02/http://www.closeronline.co.uk/#>cap<http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2014/02/http://www.closeronline.co.uk/#>
[]
 on the amount of housing benefit private landlords are allowed.
Spokeswoman Eileen Short said: “Prince Charles
was brought up in the biggest council house in Britain, ­Buckingham Palace."

Prince Charles and Queen Elizabeth II

Prince Charles and Queen Elizabeth II

"We should be regulating the amount of rent we
pay to landlords like him and if the Duchy of
Cornwall paid its fair share of taxes we could
use the money to build new
<http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2014/02/http://www.closeronline.co.uk/#>high
quality<http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2014/02/http://www.closeronline.co.uk/#>
[]
 council housing for the benefit of the nation.
“The housing benefit bill has increased hugely
and more than £9billion will be paid this year to
private ­landlords. Taxpayers’ money is being
used to line the pockets of wealthy landlords and ­property speculators.”
A spokesman for the Crown Estate, however,
explained: “Our properties are let to a range of
tenants including ­residents who may receive housing benefit.
"As with any landlord, there are some cases where
tenants receive housing benefit and the rent is
paid directly by the local authority from the tenant’s benefit to the landlord.
“All of The Crown Estate’s profits are returned
to the Treasury each year for the benefit of the nation’s public finances.”

Duchy of Cornwall and Crown Estate 'received over
£200,000 in housing benefit payments last year'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/duchy-of-cornwall-and-crown-estate-received-over-200000-in-housing-benefit-payments-last-year-9150472.html
[]

<http://www.independent.co.uk/search/simple.do?destinationSectionUniqueName=search&publicationName=ind&pageLength=5&startDay=1&startMonth=1&startYear=2010&useSectionFilter=true&useHideArticle=true&searchString=byline_text:(%22Ian%20Johnston%22)&displaySearchString=Ian%20Johnston>IAN
JOHNSTON  Tuesday 25 February 2014
Prince Charles’ Duchy of Cornwall estate and the
Crown Estate received a total of more than
£200,000 in housing benefit payments for their
tenants last year, according to a report.
Campaigners called for regulation of the amount
of housing benefit that is paid to landlords,
saying the money was helping them to “grow their
property empires” rather than helping poor people.
The Crown Estate was paid at least £38,539 in
housing benefit payments by one council last
year, while the Duchy of Cornwall received at
least £163,000, the Daily Mirror reported, adding
that the true figures were probably higher.
Defend Council Housing, a campaigner group, said
there should be a cap on the amount of housing
benefit that landlords can be paid.
“We should be regulating the amount of rent we
pay to landlords like him and if the Duchy of
Cornwall paid its fair share of taxes we could
use the money to build new high quality council
housing for the benefit of the nation,” Eileen
Short, a spokeswoman for the group, said.
“The housing benefit bill has increased hugely
and more than £9bn will be paid this year to
private landlords. Taxpayers’ money is being used
to line the pockets of wealthy landlords and property speculators.”
She added: “Prince Charles was brought up in the
biggest council house in Britain -- Buckingham Palace.”
GMB union general ­secretary Paul Kenny said:
“Things have come to a pretty pass when even the
royals are acting as middle men and receiving
benefits for their tenants. Why can they not just
hand the houses to a housing association?”
Teresa Pearce, a Labour MP, said landlords “see
the welfare state as a market and its purpose is
to put public money in private hands”.
The Crown Estate said: “Our properties are let to
a range of tenants including residents who may
receive housing benefit. As with any landlord,
there are some cases where tenants receive
housing benefit and the rent is paid directly by
the local authority from the tenant’s benefit to
the landlord. All of The Crown Estate’s profits
are returned to the Treasury each year for the
benefit of the nation’s public finances.”
Iain Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions
Secretary, has rejected a cap on landlord’s
housing benefit payments, saying: “I suspect you
would end up with fewer landlords actually making properties available.”