IDS benefit sanctions drive more UK under 25s to homelessness

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Nov 19 01:08:47 GMT 2014

Controversial benefit sanctions driving more young people to
homelessness, charity warns

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/controversial-benefit-sanctions-driving-more-young-people-to-homelessness-charity-warns-9868906.html

Welfare reforms blamed in sharply rising number of cases

<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/http://www.independent.co.uk/biography/chris-green>CHRIS
GREEN
Author Biography
 Wednesday 19 November 2014

An increasing number of young people are being made homeless after
running into financial problems caused by the Government's
controversial welfare reforms, according to a report published today.

The survey of more than 200 homelessness charities and council
agencies across England uncovered clear signs that the Coalition's
tougher regime of benefit sanctions is driving young people out of their homes.

Reports of homelessness among under 25s who had experienced benefit
reductions have increased sixfold in the space of a year, from 1.7
per cent of cases in 2013 to 10 per cent in 2014, the charities said.
More than 90 per cent of providers also reported that the sanctions
had affected young people's ability to access new accommodation.

In 2012, the Department for Work and Pensions brought in a tougher
sanctions regime for those claiming Job Seekers Allowance and
Employment Support Allowance, increasing the requirements needed to
qualify for the benefits and the amount of time for which claimants
can be penalised.

The research was carried out by Homeless Link, the umbrella body for
homelessness organisations. Rick Henderson, the group's chief
executive, said: "We know that early experience of homelessness can
lead to the development of significant problems in later life, and
for young people who find themselves in crisis, the benefits system
should provide a safety net to help prevent this from happening. It
is therefore concerning that young people are being forced into
homelessness due to their benefits being reduced or stopped.

"Nearly all the charities we spoke to reported that young people were
being affected by benefits being cut. We urge the DWP to take the
recommendations in the report seriously and ensure that those in most
need are not pushed further into destitution."

A Government spokesman said: "The reality is homelessness is down
year on year by two per cent and our welfare reforms are improving
the lives of some of the poorest families in our communities.
Sanctions are only used in a small number of cases as a last resort,
with a well-established system of hardship provision available for
sanctioned claimants."