Steve Bell on the Tory Conference & Wed15Oct LONDON - Block Boris action

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Oct 1 21:48:53 BST 2014

Meanwhile, in the real world.  ;-)
Emacs!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cartoon/2014/sep/30/steve-bell-cartoon-tory-conservatives-conference-threat-isis

http://radicalhousingnetwork.org/
Emacs!

MIPIM, the world’s biggest property fair, is coming to London, October 15-17th.

MIPIM proudly describes itself as the world’s
largest property fair, attracting around 20,000
investors, developers, local authorities, and banks each year.

It usually takes place annually in Cannes,
France. This year will see the first MIPIM UK, to
be held at London’s Olympia 15-17 October. Billed
as ‘the 1st UK property trade show gathering all
professionals looking to close deals in the UK
property market’ – a gathering of professionals
and elites looking to profiteer from UK land and property.

Join affected communities, the Radical Housing
Network, the European Action Coalition for the
Right to Housing and the City, Defend Council
Housing, trade unions and a range of other groups
to demand a City for People, not for Profit.

MIPIM UK: 15 – 17 October, Olympia W14 8UX
Opening protest – #blockBoris: Wednesday 15 October from 9am
  Alternative conference Cities for People, Not
for Profit: Thursday 16th October, 3-8pm, and Friday 17th until 11am-4pm
Closing protest – Paper round the Houses: Friday 17 October from 5pm

LONDON—"It's ridiculous to think that these
perfect flats are being boarded up and left to
rot when there are people out in the streets with
nowhere to go," says 20-year-old East Londoner Sam Middleton.
She's sitting with her friend Jasmin Stone in an
apartment in the Carpenters Estate housing
project, an easy javelin's throw from London's
Olympic Park. A few weekends back, the flat lay
empty and barred, waiting to be demolished and
redeveloped, partly as luxury housing. Now the
apartment and its neighbors have become an
unofficial social center, with its own food bank,
free shop, and program of workshops on housing rights.
The apartments weren't even broken into—they have
been occupied by a group of local activists who simply opened the windows.
These activists don't fit the usual stereotype.
They're neither seasoned campaigners nor attached
to a major group like Occupy. Instead, they're a
29-strong group of mothers from the neighborhood,
first-time activists who got together because
they found themselves threatened with homelessness.
http://www.citylab.com/housing/2014/10/why-mothers-have-occupied-a-london-public-housing-complex/380993/