High Court judge rules housing officers entered a conspiracy to 'harm' tenant

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Oct 16 12:33:02 BST 2014

Judge blasts Southwark Council for evicting
Sudanese tenant and destroying all of his possessions

High Court judge rules that housing officers
entered a conspiracy to 'harm' refugee

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/judge-blasts-southwark-council-for-evicting-sudanese-tenant-and-destroying-his-possessions-9796994.html
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/http://www.independent.co.uk/biography/cahal-milmo>CAHAL
MILMO
Author Biography
 Thursday 16 October 2014

Housing officers conspired to unlawfully evict a
Sudanese refugee from his council flat and
destroy his possessions, including memory sticks
holding thousands of hours of work, before then
covering up their wrongdoing, a judge has ruled.

The victim, who was granted British citizenship
after fleeing Sudan’s civil war in 1985, was made
homeless for a year and forced to sleep on the
streets after officials acting for Southwark
Borough Council entered his home while he
attended a court hearing in April last year over rent arrears of £18 per week.

All his possessions, including his passport,
credit cards, furniture and computer equipment
containing several years of research and personal
material, were removed on the day of the eviction
and destroyed in a waste disposal facility.

In a swingeing ruling, a High Court judge found
that housing officers entered into a conspiracy
to “harm” the man, known only as AA, by securing
his eviction from his flat in Peckham, south
London, and then conceal their actions from investigators.

Judge Anthony Thornton QC said: “The various
officers conspired to evict AA by unlawful means,
to seize and destroy his possessions by unlawful
means and to cause him harm and loss by evicting
him and dispossessing him of his possessions.”

In his own complaint, AA, who had sought £2.4m in
damages, said he felt he had been “robbed of my
dignity and pride” by the local authority.

Southwark, which is London’s largest social
landlord with 40,000 properties, and which bills
itself as providing a “great place” for its
tenants to live, admitted that it had “got things
very wrong” when dealing with AA.

But the local authority refused to say whether
three officials singled out for particular
criticism - income officer Christiana Okwara, her
line manager Brian Davis, and resident officer
Johanna Ashley -  were still employed.

The decision to evict AA, who had been a council
tenant for 23 years, and previously ran a charity
helping children in Sudan, was the culmination of
a lengthy process during which he had fallen into
arrears on his rent due to an £18 shortfall
between his housing benefit and the sum due to the local authority.

By the time of his eviction, which the council
said followed multiple attempts to reach an
arrangement to make up the deficit, AA owed £2,353 in unpaid rent.

The High Court ruled that by early 2013, Mr Davis
and Ms Okwara had become determined to have AA
removed from his flat and had a motive which was “eviction at all costs”.

Procedures for securing evictions, including
obtaining permission from a judge to start
proceedings, were not followed and a requirement
that all flat clearances take place in the
presence of two council officers was ignored, the judgment said.

Added to the fact that Ms Ashley knew AA’s
possessions, which were of “incalculable and
personal value” to him, were at risk of being
destroyed, it was clear that the actions of the
three officers made them liable for “misfeasance
in public office” or the misuse or abuse of power, the court found.

Judge Thornton said: “They each acted with the
intention of harming AA by evicting him when
there were no reasonable grounds for evicting him
and by arranging for his possessions to be seized and destroyed unlawfully.”

Southwark Borough Council, which had originally
offered AA £6,400 in compensation for the
destruction of his belongings, said it had
reached an out-of-court settlement with the man.

Councillor Richard Livingstone, a cabinet member
for housing, said: “We realise we got things very
wrong when dealing with this person and their
possessions. We have apologised for any distress
we may have caused. We acted swiftly and took
strong disciplinary action against our staff when this came to our attention.”

The council said it could not discuss the details
of disciplinary action against individual staff.