Now - Sun26Oct Meet the domestic extremists of #occupydemocracy

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Oct 20 23:17:50 BST 2014

<https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy/status/https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy>Occupy
Democracy
@<https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy/status/https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy>occupydemocracy

Meet the domestic extremists of
<https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy/status/https://twitter.com/hashtag/occupydemocracy?src=hash>#<https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy/status/https://twitter.com/hashtag/occupydemocracy?src=hash>occupydemocracy
<https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy/status/https://twitter.com/hashtag/TarpaulinRevolution?src=hash>#<https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy/status/https://twitter.com/hashtag/TarpaulinRevolution?src=hash>TarpaulinRevolution

<https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy/status/https://t.co/7EhHaIQtZz>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGxm6qVQzbM
<https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy/status/https://twitter.com/hashtag/olsx?src=hash>#<https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy/status/https://twitter.com/hashtag/olsx?src=hash>olsx
Come down. Join us!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGxm6qVQzbM

OCCUPY DEMOCRACY - 17th - 26th OCT - NO TTIP

<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJatuQ8TliOpjOLNepANgA>Occupy London TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-99En0cHqGs

WHAT OCCUPY DEMOCRACY IS ABOUT

DEMAND REAL DEMOCRACY. OCCUPY PARLIAMENT SQUARE.

Our time is now.

In Hong Kong, hundreds of people are fighting
courageously for the right to a real vote. They
know that a system where candidates are decided by the state is no democracy.

In Scotland, 45% of people rejected Westminster
rule. They know that a system that takes the
power to make local decisions out of their hands is no democracy.

We know that democracy is not just about having a
vote every four, now five years. It is about
having the power to make your voice heard. We
know that a government that answers to profit before people is no democracy.

In the UK today, record numbers of people are
homeless, record numbers rely on food banks to
feed their families, and record numbers face fuel
poverty as energy prices rise eight times faster than wages.

At the same time, inequality is back on the rise,
making us one of the most unequal countries in
the developed world. The amount we ask businesses
to contribute to our social services in tax is
set to be the lowest of any of the G20 countries.
Tax evasion and avoidance costs the UK £95bn a
year, enough to fund the NHS in England.

Nobody voted to be made homeless, hungry or
unemployed.  It is clear whose voices are being heard.

We need to start a movement for real democracy.
The voices of the majority have been ignored for
too long. We need to give ourselves the tools to
hold our politicians to account, and to end the
corporate lobbying power that drowns our voices out.

To do it, we need a movement that cannot be
ignored. That is why we are occupying Parliament
Square from the 17th – 26th of October, to begin
a fight for a real democracy
<http://johnsinha.wordpress.com/2014/10/08/a-call-to-action-the-case-for-occupying-parliament-square/>(see
the original call to action). There, in the
shadow of Nelson Mandela’s statue, we will
transform the Square into a civic space where we
can re-envision what our society could be like,
with talks, workshops, community assemblies, music and theatre.

There is one thing that every successful social
justice movement has had to overcome: the
prevalence of the belief that the status quo is
how it has to be. That there is no alternative.
All of us can feel weakened and ground down by
that belief, but all of us must have the courage
to overcome it. To imagine a different future for
ourselves. To show each other that there is an
alternative. Because the current system relies
entirely on our believing that there isn’t.

The austerity measures imposed on us for the sake
of economic growth, our continued reliance on
dirty coal and oil, our hospitals closing, our
transit systems worsening while fares rise, our
children attending under-funded schools with
exhausted underpaid teachers – we only accept
these things because we let ourselves believe
there is no other way of doing things.

But please, join us for the Occupation. Try
imagining there is another way. Do it with people
you love, people you trust, with experts and
activists and people to be inspired by. If you’re
reading this, you’re invited. Your friends,
family, colleagues are invited. Now is the time
to produce our vision of a sane, workable,
inspiring alternative, together. Come to learn,
discuss and participate. Dare to believe that there is an alternative.

We are the ones we’ve been waiting for.

Rise, like lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number!
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you:
Ye are many­they are few!

----------

GET INVOLVED

The planning of the camp and keeping it alive
depends on the help of our volunteers. We welcome
anybody to join, and can find something useful to
do for any skill set. To find out the details for
our next meeting, or to suggest a way in which
you can give a hand, get in touch via email:
<mailto:occupydemocracy at riseup.net>occupydemocracy at riseup.net.
Alternatively, you can join in the work once the camp has started.

The occupation will be an
<http://occupydemocracy.org.uk/2014/09/24/latest/>alcohol-free,
safe space and any major decisions will be
achieved through
<http://occupydemocracy.org.uk/2014/09/25/consenus-meetings/>consensus.

We have produced a <http://wp.me/a52T2l-56>flyer
and a <http://we.tl/adJBelQ6sX>poster that can be
freely distributed. The most recent updates and
information can be most easily found through our social-media presence.

<https://www.facebook.com/events/531711723600543/>Join
our Facebook event and share the content

<https://twitter.com/occupydemocracy>Follow us on Twitter

----------

PROGRAMME

We are putting together a 9 day programme of
speakers, workshops and assemblies. Each day will
have a different theme. Programme subject to change. Check for updates.
<http://occupydemo.wordpress.com/#friday>Friday
17 Oct:  Opening event followed by overnight
vigil for the Eradication of Poverty
<http://occupydemo.wordpress.com/#saturday>Saturday
18 Oct: A Revolution in Democracy
<http://occupydemo.wordpress.com/#sunday>Sunday 19 Oct: Money, Tax & Finance
<http://occupydemo.wordpress.com/#monday>Monday
20 Oct: Public services 1: The Corporate Takeover
<http://occupydemo.wordpress.com/#tuesday>Tuesday
21 Oct: Public services 2: Privatisation and ‘Trade Deals’
<http://occupydemo.wordpress.com/#wednesday>Wednesday
22 Oct: Life, Environment & Equality
<http://occupydemo.wordpress.com/#thursday>Thursday
23 Oct: Justice, Equality and the Media
<http://occupydemo.wordpress.com/#friday2>Friday 24 Oct: War & Peace
<http://occupydemo.wordpress.com/#saturday2>Saturday 25 Oct: Solutions
<http://occupydemo.wordpress.com/#sunday2>Sunday 26 Oct: Means of change

Friday 17 Oct: Overnight Vigil for the
Eradication of Poverty – why do billions still
want for food, water and basic medicine?
The occupation starts at 5pm on Friday 17 October
with an overnight vigil to mark the UN Day for
the Eradication of Poverty. Speakers at the vigil
include: John Hillary (War on Want), Ruth London
(Fuel Poverty Action), Keith Hebden (End Hunger
Fast), Kofi Mawuli Klu (Pan-African Reparations
Coalition in Europe). Plus “speakers corner”
including Jamie Kelsey-Fry (New Internationalist).

This will be a candlelit event with speakers and
acoustic entertainments where we will stand in
solidarity with the victims of the widening
wealth inequality that we see in the UK today as
a result of our broken democracy. We will also
stand in solidarity with the victims of our
foreign policy which impoverishes and exploits
many parts of the world through economic,
diplomatic and military means. We invite members
of faith and development groups as well as those of no faith to join us.

Bring a candle in a jam jar and, in case of rain,
an umbrella (yellow if possible). As a gesture of
solidarity with those suffering homelessness we
feel we should not have shelters in the square that night.

<http://occupydemocracy.org.uk/2014/10/12/friday-17-oct-opening-event-and-overnight-vigil-on-poverty-and-faith/>Read
more about the Friday opening event

Saturday 18 Oct: Why we need a revolution in
democracy and what might that look like?
With speakers including Asad Rehman (Friends of
the Earth), Donnachadh McCarthy (former Deputy
Chair LiberalDemocrats, author The Prostitute
State), David Graeber (Occupy Wall Street, author
The Democracy Project), Natalie Bennett (Green
Party), John McDonnell MP, George Barda (Occupy
London), Richard DeDominici (artist).

Sunday 19 Oct: Money, Tax & Finance – Why the 1%
have even more Power & Money than before.
With speakers including UK Uncut, Robin Hood Tax
campaign, Ann Pettifor (New Economics
Foundation), John Christensen (Tax Justice
Network) and James Meadway (New Economics
Foundation). Plus: An assembly on the topic of
“The 45% plus The 99% – how can we come together
to challenge the Westminster elite?”

<http://occupydemocracy.org.uk/2014/10/19/schedule-for-sunday-19th-of-october/>The
full schedule of Sunday

Monday 20 Oct: Public services 1: Privatisation
and the corporate takeover – why they’re
murdering the NHS, the welfare state and our
public services. With Andy G. (Disabled People
Against the Cuts), Dr Louise-Marie Irvine (Save
Lewisham Hospital) and Caroline Molloy (OurNHS)
with Peter Pannier (Gloucestershire Save our NHS).

<http://occupydemocracy.org.uk/2014/10/20/schedule-for-monday-20th-of-october/>The
full schedule of Monday

http://occupydemocracy.org.uk/2014/10/20/schedule-for-monday-20th-of-october/

Tuesday 21 Oct: Public services 2: Privatisation
and ‘trade deals’- how they’re trying to kill
democracy before werealise what they’re up to –
for good! Education, homes, trade deals. Luke
Martell (University of Sussex/Free University)
and Nick Dearden (World Development Movement).

Wednesday 22 Oct: Life, Environment & Equality –
why a revolution in democracy is needed to safeguard our future.
With Speakers including Jenny Jones (Green
Party), Jeremy Leggett (Solar Century, Carbon
Tracker), Jonathan Neale (One Million Climate
Jobs) Mothiur Rahman (Community Chartering
Network),  Ruth & Clare (Fuel Poverty Action) and
Suzanne Dhaliwal (UK Tar Sands Network).

Thursday 23 Oct: Justice, Equality and the Media
– why the poor are criminalised and the rich get away with it.
With Hannah Dee (Defend the Right to Protest),
Melanie Strickland (Occupy Law) and Nina Owen (Eradicating Ecocide).

Friday 24 Oct: War & Peace – War, what is is good
for? Why we need to redefine our national
interests and bring an end to resource wars.
Featuring Mika Minio-Paluello (Platform), Chris
Nineham (Stop The War) and Penny Rimbaud & Louise Elliot (words and music).

Saturday 25 Oct: Solutions – what are the answers
they don’t want you to know? What would real
democracy look like? What would our ideal society
look like? Featuring Sarah Allan (Constitutional
Convention Campaign), Donnachadh McCarthy (21st
Century Great Reform Act), David Malone (author,
The Debt Generation) and Dilar Dirik (University of Cambridge).

Sunday 26 Oct: Means of change – a better world
is nice in theory, but how do we make it happen?
We are the ones we’ve been waiting for.
A day of assemblies to answer the question:
“where do we go from here?” With interventions by
Ewa Jasiewicz (Reclaim The Power) and others.