Social housing, not social cleansing: occupying a boarded-up east London council house

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Sep 24 13:17:40 BST 2014

Why I’m occupying a boarded-up east London council house

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/23/why-occupying-boarded-up-east-london-council-house-social-housing
A group of local mothers are squatting next to
London’s Olympic Park to tell the government we
need social housing, not social cleansing
    * <http://www.theguardian.com/profile/jasmin-stone>Jasmin Stone
    *
<http://www.theguardian.com/>theguardian.com,
Tuesday 23 September 2014 15.11 BST
Focus E15 mums evicted from hostel

The Focus E15 mums when they were evicted from
their hostel last year. They are now occupying a
flat on the Carpenters Estate in east London. Photograph: David Levene

My daughter was 13 months old when I received the
eviction notice. I was living in a hostel in
Stratford, London E15. The letter said that we
had two months to get out. We were homeless;
that’s why we were in the hostel in the first
place. We didn’t have anywhere else to go. There
were 210 other young women living there. Now it’s
luxury flats. The council said they would rehouse
us, but it turned out they were threatening to
move us hundreds of miles away, to Manchester, Hastings and Birmingham.

When we met Newham’s Labour mayor, Sir Robin
Wales, he told us: “if you can’t afford to live
in Newham, you can’t afford to live in Newham”.

We grew up in Newham. We find this attitude
disgusting. No one on low wages or benefits, or
even an average income, can afford to live here.

Newham is a place for a variety of people, not
just one class. We know that Newham is not alone
either – people are being displaced every day
from boroughs all over London. This is why we
formed the
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-E15-Mothers/602860129757343>Focus
E15 Mothers campaign to fight for decent, local
social housing for all those who need it.
People outside a boarded-up council house occupied by Focus E15

This weekend, the Open House event ran across
London. It gave people the opportunity to go
inside buildings across the capital that are
usually closed to the public. We decided to
participate by opening up a closed council house
on the Carpenters Estate, a large public housing
estate next to the Olympic Park. Many residents
have been evicted and cleared out of here by
Newham council, which is trying to capitalise on
the Olympics by selling the land off to private
developers. They have tried every trick in the
book to get rid of the remaining residents. They
even told them there was asbestos in the tower
blocks to get them out before the Olympics, and
then let al-Jazeera and the BBC use one of the
blocks during the games. Now the estate remains
empty except for a handful of people.

The boarded-up house we have opened is in
beautiful condition. It has running water, a
power shower, working gas and electricity. Just
by adding a sofa, table and chairs and some
plants, we have turned this house into a home,
and solved the housing crisis for one of the
6,500 rough sleepers or thousands of other
homeless people in London. Newham council claims
it can’t afford to house us, yet it found the
money to hire dozens of private security guards
on Sunday to try, unsuccessfully, to keep us out
of the empty properties on the Carpenters Estate.

There are more than 2,000 other properties on the
Carpenters Estate alone that could be made
available as homes almost instantly. But the
council leaves them to rot and deteriorate
through weather damage, so they are in a bad
enough way for the council to say they are in an unliveable condition.

Housing in London is now a commodity that the
super-rich buy, like fine wine or art. It has
been dubbed the “tax-haven on the Thames”. At
least £122bn of property in England and Wales is
held through companies registered in offshore tax
havens, resulting in the loss of billions of
pounds of tax that could be used to rebalance the housing market.

We wanted to participate in Open House to show
how many houses sit empty in London and what an
easy solution there is to the housing crisis.

This crisis, as it is usually covered in the
newspapers, is one experienced by the middle
classes, whose steady march from private renting
to home ownership has been stopped in its tracks
by the hugely inflated market. For members of the
working class, however, the crisis is much more
virulent. It involves not only the prospect of
annual rent increases, the impossibility of home
ownership and poor-quality housing, but also
removal and displacement from the place in which
you were born, leading to isolation in a place
where you know nobody and opportunities for jobs are non-existent.

A new type of housing has been put in place
called
“<http://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2014/feb/03/affordable-housing-meaning-rent-social-housing>affordable
housing”, which has replaced social housing. It
sounds good, but affordable housing costs up to
80% of the market rate – and is still
ridiculously unaffordable. It makes no more sense
to have a free market in housing than one in education, water or healthcare.

Housing, like these other things, is a basic
human right, not a privilege. This is why we are
demanding social housing, not social cleansing.
In addition, rent caps to limit out-of-control
rents, mansion taxes and higher stamp duty for
the wealthiest would be simple reforms that have
a dramatic impact on housing. Simply taking
action to restrict the privileges of the 1% could
result in a relatively fairer housing situation in London.

• The Carpenters Open House will run until 28
September. All are welcome to come and view the
house and engage in discussions about how to address the housing crisis