UK over 250,000 homeless & rising fast - govt figures not credible

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Feb 5 00:20:33 GMT 2015

Homeless crisis: Shocking figures reveal number
of rough sleepers has soared in the last five years
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/homeless-crisis-shocking-figures-reveal-5101400
Daily Mirror / Phil Harris  00:01, 4 February 2015  By Martin Bagot
  The information comes as the Mirror revealed
how Darren Offord, brother of a Tory MP, was
sleeping rough and he blamed the Government’s policies
Street life: Darren Orford, brother of Tory MP
Mathew, blames the Government for his predicament
  A damning report has revealed a surge in
homelessness due to the ConDem Government’s policies.
Leading charities have published figures showing
homelessness increased by more than a third in
the last five years and by 9% in the last year alone.
This despite Government homelessness data showing
a fall last year amid claims council officials
were encouraged to record it differently.
Crisis and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation have
rounded on the Coalition for a raft of policies
it blames for the shocking rise.
It comes after the Mirror revealed how Darren
Offord, brother of a Tory MP, was sleeping rough
and he blamed the Government’s policies for trapping him on the streets.
England’s 326 local authorities were invited to
take part in the The Homelessness Monitor:
England on the impact of economic and policy developments.
The annual independent study blames benefit
sanctions for the rise as well as housing benefit
cuts which see people forced to move away from local support networks.
They also blame the hated bedroom tax for forcing
people in to debt while a shortage of smaller
properties mean they are unable to downsize.
Of the 43% councils which took part, nine out of
10 said they expected the situation to get worse
as benefit cuts continue to impact on those living on the breadline.
Jon Sparkes, Chief Executive of Crisis, said:
“Today’s report reveals the true scale of
homelessness in England, which headline figures no longer reflect.
“Council officials are clear that benefit cuts
and sanctions are taking a dreadful toll on
people’s lives with rising numbers facing the
loss of their home at a time when councils are being forced to cut services.
“This is a desperate state of affairs.
“What this report clearly shows is that political
choices have a huge impact on homelessness.”
Statutory homeless acceptances were at 40,020 in
2009/10 and rose to 53,770 in 2012/13. But last year they dropped to 52,270.
But charity investigators carried out interviews
with council staff and found applicants are
increasingly being encouraged to choose informal
‘housing options’ assistance instead of making a
statutory homelessness application.
They found almost two thirds of local authorities
believe headline homelessness figures no longer reflect the reality.
When also counting such informal ‘homelessness
prevention’ and ‘homelessness relief’ there were 280,000 actions in 2013/14.
Mike Fowler, chief executive of Coventry
Cyrenians who work with the homeless, said: “We
know from experience that homelessness increases follow any economic downturn.
“What makes this increase worse is that
government policy appears to be exacerbating the problem significantly."
He added: “An increase in homelessness sees an
increase in demands for health, educational and
welfare services as well as the criminal justice system.
“To make those who have the least suffer the most
is quite wrong, but a false economy is a false
economy whatever your political persuasion.”
Figures for those ‘facing homelessness’ refers to
anyone seeking help from their council to find or
prevent the imminent loss of a home.
These people may be currently homeless, leaving
an institution and have nowhere to go or at serious risk of losing their home.
Figures for this level of help were at 165,200 in
2009/10 and rose every year to 227,800 in 2013/14.
It comes after we reported that Darren Offord has
spent the last decade living on the streets and
he has now blasted the government’s record on homelessness.
The 43-year-old brother of MP Matthew Offord had
been sleeping in a bin shed and told how he ended
up on the streets and addicted to drugs after an
accident cost him his job and his health.
Julia Unwin, chief executive of the JRF said:
“Homelessness can be catastrophic for those of us who experience it.
“If we are to prevent a deepening crisis, we must
look to secure alternatives to home ownership for
those who cannot afford to buy - longer term,
secure accommodation at prices that those on the lowest incomes can afford.”
Councils were particularly concerned that the
impact of the ‘bedroom tax’ is yet to be felt,
being ‘masked’ by discretionary housing payments
and social landlords so far unwilling to evict.
One council officer in the Midlands said
vulnerable people they dealt with were “getting
thinner as they cannot afford to eat.”
Emma Reynolds MP, Labour’s shadow Housing
Minister, said: “It’s clear that David Cameron
has broken his promises to tackle homelessness.
“Rising housing costs and low pay have made it
more and more difficult for people to stay in their home.
“The Tory-led Government has presided over the
lowest levels of house building since the 1920s,
a drop in the number of affordable homes being
built and policies like the Bedroom Tax have made things even worse.”
Homelessness Minster Kris Hopkins said: “These
claims are misleading and the fact is statutory
homelessness remains lower than in 27 of the last 30 years.
“The figures include those who councils have
helped avoid being made homeless as well as those
accepted as homeless and shows the wide range of
options available to help prevent homelessness in the first place.
“This Government has increased spending to
prevent homelessness and rough sleeping, making
over £500 million available to local authorities and the voluntary sector.
“We’ve provided Crisis with nearly £14 million in
funding which will help around 10,000 single
homeless people find and sustain accommodation in the private rented sector.
“However, we’re determined to do more through our
£15 million Fair Chance Fund that will help 1,600
of the most vulnerable homeless young people get
their lives back on track and the £8 million Help
for Single Homeless Fund will improve services
for around 22,000 single people with multiple needs.”

Case study: From a happy home to sleeping rough
Philip Coburn/ Daily Mirror
Fall from grace: Steven Lawrence who once earned
£40,000 a year ended up homeless
Five years ago Steven Lawrence had a home, a
family and a jet setting lifestyle.
The hair stylist put on put on demonstrations
around the world for a famous styling range
before suffering a nervous breakdown.
“I was just overworked,” said the 52-year-old from Cheshunt, Herts.
“I started drinking heavily because I couldn’t
cope with everything. Everything went pear-shaped after that.”
Steven was “invited to leave” his £40,000-a-year
job before going through a divorce and losing contact with his two daughters.
He slept in his company car for the first two
weeks until they took it back and has been
bedding down on park benches for the last five years.
Steven explained: “I got in to a stage where I
had to shoplift just to get food to eat. I went
to the council but they said the housing waiting list was four to five years.
“I want to work. I get interviews but it’s very
hard to get spruced up. But they won’t give you a
job if you have no registered address.
“It’s catch-22."
Yesterday he attended a meeting at his local
council in his latest bid to find accommodation.
But with no deposit he was unable to get a room.
Asked if he had a message for the Government, he
added: “They need to stop spending so much money
on foreign aid and help people at home.
“And they need to build more houses. I just want
the politicians in this country to listen to the
people.“I know if I could get somewhere to live I could get a decent job.”

Hidden homeless: Benefit sanctions blamed as
rough sleepers increase by a third in five years
Around 280,000 people asked their council for
help in keeping a roof over the heads in 2013/14
  Jonathan Owen    ---        Wednesday 04 February 2015
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hidden-homeless-benefit-sanctions-blamed-as-rough-sleepers-increase-by-a-third-in-five-years-10021643.html
Benefit sanctions are contributing to a rise in
homelessness, according to a new study showing
there were more than a quarter of a million
homeless cases in England last year.
Around 280,000 people asked their council for
help in keeping a roof over the heads in 2013/14,
up more than a third since 2009/10 and nine per
cent on last year, according to a report released
today by Crisis and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
The research argues that official figures are
masking the true scale of the problem, as
councils are increasingly using informal
approaches to tackle homelessness - such as
assisting people with debt advice, help to stay
in a tenancy or family mediation.
Government figures indicate that just 52,000
households were accepted as homeless in England in 2013/14.
A combination of benefits cuts, changes to
housing benefit making it difficult to find
accommodation, and rising rents are resulting in
people facing severe hardship, according to the report
Services working with homeless people are
seriously concerned about the rising use of
sanctions - which are imposed on benefits
claimants for breaching rules and missing
appointments - with respondents viewing them as a
significant cause of homelessness.
The research reveals that 90 per cent of councils
believe that welfare reforms will continue to
impact on homelessness. More than half of local
authorities fearing that things will worsen over the next two years.
The report - which is published as The
Independent campaigns for more help for Homeless
Veterans - also found that growing numbers of
people being forced to live away from their area
amid a lack of affordable housing locally, and
more people needing help to cope with debts.
The Homelessness Monitor report found that
problems are particularly acute in London, where
a “prime structural contributor to homelessness”
is a shortfall in the level of new homes being
built to cope with levels of demand.
Jon Sparkes, chief executive at Crisis, said:
“Council officials are clear that benefit cuts
and sanctions are taking a dreadful toll on
people’s lives, with rising numbers facing the
loss of their home at a time when councils are
being forced to cut services. This is a desperate state of affairs.”
Julia Unwin, chief executive at JRF, commented:
“If we are to prevent a deepening crisis, we must
look to secure alternatives to home ownership for
those who cannot afford to buy – longer-term,
secure accommodation at prices that those on the lowest incomes can afford.”
Homelessness Minster Kris Hopkins said: “These
claims are misleading and the fact is statutory
homelessness remains lower than in 27 of the last 30 years.
“This Government has increased spending to
prevent homelessness and rough sleeping, making
over £500million available to local authorities and the voluntary sector.”
Responding to the findings, a Government
spokesman said: “This report is misleading.
Homelessness is at one of the lowest levels for
the last 30 years and official evaluation does
not show a link to welfare reforms - which are
focused on helping people improve their
circumstances.” They added: “As the report itself
says, a 'wide definition' of homelessness is used
including people staying with friends or relatives.”
The Government's evaluations of the impacts of
the bedroom tax, and changes to benefits, do not
show evidence that welfare reforms have caused a
rise in homelessness, according to officials.
Around £94 billion is being spent each year on
'working age benefits.' Nearly £500million has
been provided since 2013 to support those
affected by welfare reforms; and in the first six
months of 2014 there were around 53,000 fewer
benefit sanctions compared to the first six
months of the previous year, say officials.
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://rt.com/op-edge/authors/tony-gosling/
http://cryptome.org/2014/06/video-report-axed-2.htm
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.dialectradio.co.uk
Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org