Aylesbury occupation going strong after 100 riot cops try to evict us

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Feb 18 13:44:48 GMT 2015

<https://twitter.com/https://twitter.com/Fight4Aylesbury>Aylesbury Occupation

<https://twitter.com/https://twitter.com/Fight4Aylesbury>@<https://twitter.com/https://twitter.com/Fight4Aylesbury>Fight4Aylesbury

Flats occupied in Chartridge House on the
Aylesbury estate in protest over Southwark's
planned demolition of the estate! Come down&check the website for events

<https://twitter.com/https://t.co/a6RuEhyMLI>fightfortheaylesbury.wordpress.com

[]

GET IN TOUCH

77 – 105 Chartridge, Westmoreland Road, SE17.
Email:aylesbury at riseup.net.
Twitter: @Fight4Aylesbury
We have a public assembly every day at 6.30 PM,
all neighbours and friendly visitors are invited.

<https://fightfortheaylesbury.wordpress.com/2015/02/18/httpswordpress-compost84161430newoccupation-going-strong-in-new-building-after-100-riot-cops-try-to-evict-us/>Occupation
going strong in new building after 100 riot cops try to evict us

Embedded image permalink

Last night, around 7PM, 100 or so TSG riot police
attacked our occupation in force. They used angle
grinders to cut through metal barriers, and
stormed into the homes we had been occupying,
cleaning, decorating and bringing back to life on 77-105 Chartridge House.

As they stormed in, a few people stayed to
symbolically hold the barricade, while most of
the occupiers just climbed into the building next
door, 69-76 Chartridge. This is the building that
the council had attacked back on Thursday 5
February. For once Southwark Council have done
something half useful, as after they smashed up
the flats there they built a high metal fence
around the building which now serves as a pretty tough barricade!

Earlier in the day, we had lost an appeal to have
the interim possession order (IPO) of 77-105
Chartridge thrown out. But the court did reject
the council’s bid to get an order covering ALL
buildings on the estate. So, legally speaking,
the council and cops have no power to evict us
from the new building, until they go to court again.

Of course, they still have the power of superior
violence. After the authorities realised that our
old block was empty and we had moved on, there
was a tense stand-off lasting several hours.
There were also several scuffles when groups of
TSG thugs attacked in snatch squads, grabbing
individuals they had decided to target for
whatever reason. They came in relatively,
throwing their truncheons, kicks and punches
around. Unfortunately we didn’t have the strength
to stop them grabbing six people, who were
arrested and taken to Walworth police station.

But we did have enough strength, in our numbers
and solidarity and will to resist, to make them
back down from attacking the newly occupied
building. There was a moment when it looked
certain they were about to try and cut their way
in, court order or no. The excuse they were
claiming was to “investigate criminal damage”. In
a building they had
<https://fightfortheaylesbury.wordpress.com/2015/02/08/video-of-the-council-smashing-up-homes-on-thursday/>helped
smash up with hammers and power tools two weeks before.

But more and more supporters kept coming down to
join us, and we were very clear we weren’t going
to take an attack on the new building lying down.
It must have dawned on the riot squad thugs that
they didn’t have an easy job ahead of them.

At one point an inspector declared an “anti
social behaviour” order to disperse the crowd
outside the occupation. But it just regrouped a
little farther away on the other side of
Westmoreland road, still ready to come and back
up the occupation within seconds.

Eventually, the top brass realised that it wasn’t
happening, and perhaps they didn’t care that much
anyway, the Southwark Council suits who were
egging them on having gone home some time ago.
Sometime after midnight, the bulk of the TSG
left, with just one vanload keeping an eye on the building.

As of 12 noon today, the occupation is going
strong. It’s a beautiful sunny day on the
Aylesbury, and spirits are high after this little
victory. As in the old building, our aim is to
repair the damage done to these flats by the
council, and bring them back to life as a hub of resistance for the estate.

Of course it is possible police will try again
any time. If you can, keep following events, and
come on down to join us in the event of a new
attack. Or just to hang out, work on the estate,
hold events, discussions, and so on as before,
and plot new actions to escalate the fight for our city.

PS: Update 12.40. One of our friends is out of the copshop.