SLAM: Scottish Land Action Movement

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Jan 22 20:23:54 GMT 2015

Scottish Land Action Movement

THE LAND IS OURS

Questions or ideas? Please get in touch! Our
email is mail at scottishlandactionmovement.org
http://www.scottishlandactionmovement.org/#backround-section

WE DEMAND...

1. A land information system
Currently only 26% of Scotland's land is
registered in the land register. To find out who
owns what, we demand a mandatory system that is
up to date and available to the public.

2. A Land-Value Rating (LVT)
There is no taxation on just land itself. We
demand a move towards a more progressive tax,
that takes into account the value and use of the land.

3. A cap on the amount of land any one private
individual or beneficial interest is eligible to own
Huge private estates leave the land empty and
barren. We would like them community-owned or
broken up through the establishment of a National
Land Policy, and updated laws of succession.

4. Greater powers for communities to buy and own land
Statutory rights of: registration of interest in
land, pre-emption over land, and a right to buy
land through a compulsory purchase order where
there is a clear benefit to the community, both urban and rural.

5. Security for tenants in rented accommodation
How we live on the land affects us all - secure
tenancies for private renters ensure communities can flourish.

6. A robust self-build sector
We believe incentives to self-build homes can
offer alternatives to current housing schemes and strengthen communities.

7. Rights for tenant farmers
Tenant farmers currently have very little
security over their tenancies, leaving them
vulnerable to huge rent increases and evictions.
We demand protective legislation and an inquiry
into an optional automatic right to buy.

8. Hutting
Hutting should be encouraged and facilitated by
landowners and planning authorities to encourage rural leisure.

9. Greater governmental aid
Establish a distinct governmental unit that will
facilitate community buyouts, advise ministers,
and provide support services. Increase the Land Fund.

10. Common Good lands
We demand that Common Good Lands be safeguarded,
their management be democratic and modern, and
information regarding Common Good lands and funds
be readily available and up to date.

Look at our political structures, our economy,
and our land, and you’ll find a fundamental lack of democracy.

Our focus is land.  Who owns Scotland?  Very
few.  Just 432 landowners have 50% of the
privately owned land.  That's a mere 0.008% of the population.

The causes for this extraordinary situation go
back centuries – feudalism was only abolished in
Scotland a decade ago – but the concentration of
land ownership has actually increased in the last 50 years.

The early years of the Scottish Parliament
brought tentative progress in the form of the
2003 Land Reform (Scotland) Act; this
legislation, with the provision of a Land Fund,
encouraged a series of community buy-outs in
rural areas.  These have shown how
extraordinarily successful communities can be
when they manage their own affairs; producing
off-grid electricity, increasing tourism,
boosting local jobs
 developments essential to
stop the disastrous trend of rural depopulation.

But the case for much bolder, wider-reaching land
reform never went away.  It was heard frequently
during the referendum debate; increasingly
recognised as a central issue for those calling
for social justice, democracy and equality in Scotland.

This isn’t just a rural issue.  Land reform in
Scotland has its roots in the struggles of the
1800s to oppose clearances and establish
crofters’ rights – but now it is much
broader.  Soaring land values and monopoly
control are what drive housing shortages,
deprivation, urban blight.  Our city centres are
full of half-empty hotels, stalled developments,
overpriced and ugly student housing.

Meanwhile rural communities decline further under
- often absent - landowners; and vast swathes of
the Highlands are set aside as playgrounds for
the world’s richest, with troubling ecological
and social consequences. This is an issue that affects everyone.

The Scottish Land Action Movement is a collective
of activists all striving for the same goal - to
deliver comprehensive and radical land reform in Scotland by 2016.

WHAT WE DO

We are a collective of activists all striving for
the same goal - to deliver comprehensive and
radical land reform in Scotland by 2016.
We believe that people-powered campaigning is the
best way to do this. We have the backing of
prominent researchers, journalists, activists and
even politicians to help us reach our goal.
However, it is the power of collective democracy
that has founded this movement. Post-referendum
Scotland is a place brimming full of passion and
ideas - we believe there has never been a better
time to fight for land reform, and with the
support of a politicised nation, we can create a fairer and more just Scotland.

Our aim is simple - get enough people talking
about our message, and change will happen.

We plan to provide a cohesive network for
activists and campaign groups from all over the
country to come together and learn from each
other. We have a library of resources of all
varieties so people can educate themselves on the
topic of land reform, reaching far beyond just
lairds in their castles. Land reform is just as
important to communities in central Glasgow as it
is to communities in the Western Isles, and the
more knowledge we have about these issues, the
more power we can wield in affecting change.

If you would like to set up a campaign or group,
we will help you in whatever way we can with the resources at our disposal.

If you would like to contribute to our movement,
our blog will be showcasing stories of
communities in action, of campaigns, and examples
of community ownership successes. Even just
telling us why you think land reform is important - we want to hear from you!

Over the coming months we will be setting up
petitions and meetings - please follow us on
Twitter or like us on Facebook to receive up-to-date information.

Questions or ideas? Please get in touch! Our
email is mail at scottishlandactionmovement.org

WHO SUPPORTS US

““Land reform is a popular cause right across
Scotland and now is the moment when we can make
significant progress. SLAM is a very welcome
initiative and provides a focus and resources for
the growing land rights movement.”
­ Andy Wightman, author and activist

“We are talking of not just freeing our lands to
benefit communities, but decolonising bygone
feudal structures in our minds. It inspires to
see a new generation of bright minds carrying
that process forwards in setting up SLAM.
­ Alastair McIntosh, author

““Inequality of eye watering proportions is
commonplace in Scotland. That rests on unequal
access to basic resources like land – so
unequally shared in Scotland that many Scots no
longer even identify with land reform as an
issue. For me it is THE issue. Land grounds us.
It acts as the physical plane for our hopes and
ideas, it produces food, stands below buildings
and dereliction, grows forests that provide fuel
and leisure for profit – not currently for local
people. The concentration of land in a few feudal
hands undermines Scotland’s claim to be a
democracy and keeps Scots feeling like strangers
or squatters in their own country. It’s long past time for change.
­ Lesley Riddoch, author and journalist

“An American called Woody Guthrie once sang a song that included this verse:
There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
Sign was painted, it said private property;
But on the back side it didn’t say nothing;
This land was made for you and me.
Trouble is that, here in Scotland, though the
land around us should ideally be managed in ways
that benefit all our people, fewer than 500
owners have managed to put one of Guthrie’s big
high walls round more than half of it. That’s
something that’ll take a real big push to change.
And that’s why Scottish Land Action Movement is much to be welcomed.
­ - Jim Hunter, writer and historian