Land Reform is good for business say Scottish lawyers & property experts

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Mar 11 00:17:42 GMT 2015

LandReform is good for business, say lawyers and property experts

https://commonspace.scot/articles/647/landreform-is-good-for-business-say-lawyers-and-property-experts

Transparency can strengthen property system in
Scotland, according to property experts

PROPOSALS announced to push ahead with
constructing an open land and property registry
for Scotland will benefit Scotland’s economy,
according to business professionals speaking in Edinburgh.

Representatives from the Law Society of Scotland
(LSS) and Royal Institution of Chartered
Surveyors, claimed that investments in an
information system will improve decision making,
create more efficient systems and benefit public
understanding of land ownership.

Ross MacKay, convenor of the property law
committee at LSS, said: “It comes back to the
concept of the virtuous circle. Lawyers,
customers, society can work together to bring
information for the benefit of all.

“I think our ambition is to put the information
system in Scotland back up to number one in the world.”

Earlier, Deputy First Minister John Swinney MSP
launched a national task force to report this
July on the government target to register all land within 10 years.

Solicitor Paul Carnan welcomed the proposals as a
project that would benefit relationships between
professionals and those they work with.

“Clients are looking for information on the value
of the property, its construction and
increasingly its community
 As a property
professional I welcome the plans for an all encompassing property system.”

Carnan added that an accessible land and property
system would be “more efficient and probably cheaper” for business in Scotland.

Alan Moore, managing director at information
research group thinkWhere, added: “For the
studies that have been done it would appear that
geographical information (GI) adds to the gross
value added of the economy by 1.5 per cent. If
you take the value of Scotland’s economy, we are
talking about an economic benefit from GI of
£400m or these abouts based on these previous studies.”

He added that this system would also benefit and
empower communities with access to information about where they live.

The Scottish Government plans to bring wider land
reform proposals to the Scottish Parliament after the General Election.

The availability of information on the ownership
of land has been identified as a barrier to creating a more equal system.

According to John Swinney, cooperation from the
surveying, law and property sectors on land
reform will generate benefits for both the public and business.

Picture courtesy of
<https://commonspace.scot/articles/647/https://www.flickr.com/>American flickr