1971 Cromwellian abolition of movable Witsun feast

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat May 23 12:45:30 BST 2015

Annoying, isn't it, that crown and church have
aboloshed Whtsun in our lifetimes.

Whitsun, after the usual progressive ‘experiment’
(these, as you will find, are always successful),
was replaced, with barely a squawk of dissent, by
the unpoetic ‘Late Spring Bank Holiday’.
 From Whitsunday, the great feast of the Holy
Ghost, of a rushing mighty wind and tongues of
fire to
a ‘Bank Holiday’. What could be more secular than a bank?
And I suspect it’s only a matter of time before
Good Friday goes the same way. Good Friday was in
my own memory still the most solemn day of the
year, a day of sober quiet and reverence, and of,
at least,  respect from unbelievers. It is now a
raucous fairground of shopping, betting and boozing.
Christmas will be last to go, but go it will. The
secular world is slowly overwhelming Western
Christianity, and when it has done so, will the
pagans come back, or something even worse,
perhaps a vast reductionist indifference to eternity?
http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2014/06/a-whitsun-address.html

Okay - a bit more about

Pentecost Definition and Summary
http://www.churchyear.net/pentecost.html
Pentecost, also known as Whitsunday, celebrates
the birthday of the Christian Church, when the
Holy Spirit came upon the Apostles in the Acts of
the Apostles. Pentecost is celebrated 50 days
after Easter, on Pentecost Sunday. Christian
Pentecost differs from the Jewish celebration. In
2015, Pentecost falls on May 24th in the Catholic
Calendar (dates in other years). Prayers: Pentecost Prayers

Type of Holiday: Solemnity; Holy Day of Obligation
Time of Year: 50 days after Easter
Celebrates/Symbolizes: The outpouring of the Holy
Spirit on the Apostles and the founding of the Church
Alternate Names: Whitsunday
Scriptural References: Acts 2:1-11; The Book of
Acts. See also the ancient Jewish festival called
the "feast of weeks" or Pentecost (Exodus 34:22; Deuteronomy 16:10).

Pentecost, the 50th and final day of the Easter
Season, celebrates the outpouring of the Holy
Spirit upon the Apostles in the book of Acts,
ushering in the beginning of the Church. 50 Days
after Jesus' resurrection (and 10 days after his
Ascension), the apostles were gathered together,
confused and contemplating their future purpose and mission.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15614b.htm

On the day of Pentecost, a flame rested upon the
shoulders of the apostles and they began to speak
in tongues (languages), by the power of the Holy
Spirit. Thus Pentecost is a time for many
Catholics and other Christians to celebrate two
important realities: the Holy Spirit and the
Church. Pentecost has long been a very important
feast in The Catholic and Orthodox Churches
because it celebrates the official beginning of
the Church. It is one of the twelve Great Feasts
of the Eastern Church, second only in importance
to Pascha (Easter). Pentecost always falls on a
Sunday, fifty days after Easter Sunday (inclusive
of Easter Sunday), and occurs during mid-to-late
Spring in the Northern hemisphere, and
mid-to-late autumn in the Southern hemisphere.
The summer season of Ordinary Time begins on the
Monday immediately following Pentecost Sunday.

Pentecost is also the Greek name for Jewish Feast
of Weeks (Shavuot), falling on the 50th day of
Passover. It was during the Feast of Weeks that
the first fruits of the grain harvest were
presented (see Deuteronomy 16:9). New Testament
references to Pentecost likely refer to the
Jewish feast and not the Christian feast, which
gradually developed during and after the Apostolic period.

In the English speaking countries, Pentecost is
also known as Whitsunday. The origin of this name
is unclear, but may derive from the Old English
word for "White Sunday," referring to the
practice of baptizing converts clothed in white
robes on the Sunday of Pentecost. In the English
tradition, new converts were baptized on Easter,
Pentecost, and All Saints Day, primarily for
pragmatic purposes: people went to church these
days. Alternatively, the name Whitsunday may have
originally meant "Wisdom Sunday," since the Holy
Spirit is traditionally viewed as the Wisdom of
God, who bestows wisdom upon Christians at
baptism. In other parts of the world, Pentecost
has other names, including "Green Sunday" in the
Ukraine and "Green Holiday" in Poland. These
names are derived from Pentecost customs that
involve taking green plants into homes and
churches as symbols of new life. These customs
also may hearken back to the harvest festival themes of the Jewish Pentecost.
History

As with the term Pascha, in Pentecost Christians
borrowed a Jewish term and applied it to their
own festivals. Tertullian (3rd century) knew of
Christian Pentecost, and the Apostolic
Constitutions (4th century) speak of the
Pentecost feast lasting a week. In the Western
Church the vigil of Pentecost became second only
to the Easter Vigil in importance. Eventually in
the West, Pentecost became a Sunday set aside for
baptisms. Pentecost was not kept with an octave
(an 8 day celebration) until a later date,
although now that practice has been largely
abandoned. For the most part, Pentecost is now in
Western churches celebrated for only a Sunday.
Traditionally, the Sundays between Pentecost and
Advent have been designated "Sundays After
Pentecost." However, this has been dropped in the
West, although it continues in the East. The date
of Pentecost is determined based on the date of
Easter, and since Western churches calculate
Easter differently than Orthodox Christians,
usually Western and Eastern Christians celebrate
Pentecost on different dates. Using the Western
Easter calculation, the earliest possible date
for Pentecost is May 10, and the latest possible date is June 13.
Worship and Prayer Resources

Prayers and Collects for Pentecost
Pentecost Sermon I St. Leo the Great
Sermon for Pentecost: Come Upon Mighty Wind
Pentecost Art, Photos, and Images

Descent of the Holy Spirit Icon
Emacs!