30Nov BRISTOL How To Build Your Own Home In A Week

Zardoz Greek zardos777 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 21:03:54 GMT 2015

How To Build Your Own Home In A Week. (6 Days, 25 speakers, workshops, music and more!) @Space PRSC, Bristol

http://www.ecomotive.org/get-involveds/get-involved-how-to-build-your-own-home-in-a-week-3011-512/
Overview:

To celebrate Bristol’s European Green Capital 2015 and use this as a springboard for real action on new housing, Ecomotive are creating an open-to-all series of events for people to come and actively participate in developing solutions. A week long event to generate inspiration and the self-belief that communities can take full ownership of their housing future, each day with five training events that will target the key topics to enable groups and individuals to take positive and immediate action.

This week long series of talks and workshops is aimed at addressing the barriers to the creation of more people involved housing projects, and to set the scene for a positive future where decent, good quality homes and communities are the foundations to an empowered city.

Monday 30th November – Day 1: People power: innovation in models, design and housing solutions.
Day 1 of this fantastic week we start with some of biggest ambassadors in the UK for people-led housing, this is certainly not to be missed.

Speakers: Jon Broome (Jon Broome Architect), Mark Brinkley (Author), Geoff Stow (Self-builder/ trainer) & Jo Gooding (Cohousing Network).
For more info. and tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/people-power-innovation-in-models-design-and-housing-solutions-tickets-19456486876

Tuesday 1st December – Day 2: Community Economy: How do we finance self-building and custom build housing?
Day 2 will navigate us round the different models of community assets ownership and protection. Affordability and all the issues around equity and land strike the heart at making many projects viable. Day 2 we will be getting to grips with what financial solutions are truly available.

Speakers: Steve Bendle (Community Land and Finance), Jari Moate (Resonance Ltd), Mark Ogden (Triodos) plus Guest Speaker to be confirmed.
For more info. and tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/community-economy-how-do-we-finance-self-build-and-custom-housing-tickets-19456560095

Wednesday 2nd December – Day 3: Landing Safely: How and where to find affordable land?
How do we find land, what are the opportunities and challenges facing people-lead housing? Our experts provide the insights and expertise to unravel what can seem the maze of all mazes.

Speakers: Tim Crabtree (Schumacher College), Ed Rowberry (GW Regional Capital), Chris Askew (Askew Cavanna Architects), Plus guest speaker TBC.
For more info. and tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/land-safely-how-and-where-to-find-affordable-land-tickets-19456577146

Thursday 3rd December – Day 4: Inside Out : sustainable homes the design, materials & benefits.
How can dreams become reality, the practical steps and what does it mean to be sustainable / build your own home? What is passivhaus and what impact does ‘smart designed’ homes have on energy bills? What new solutions are available in 2015/16 for self build and custom build. Come and join this festival of solutions.

Speakers: Alex Whitcroft (WikiHouse), Craig White (White Design), Rob Elkins (Elkins Architects),& Alex Dutton (Barton Willmore)
For more info. and tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/inside-out-sustainable-homes-the-design-materials-and-benefits-tickets-19456611248

Friday 4th December – Day 5:  Home & Away: Lessons from the UK and Europe on successful self-build/community projects.Day 5 we look at what it takes for successful community projects in the UK and successful self-build projects across Europe.  Ted Stevens will be searching the fruits of a year’s Research programme that unravels the very best of 30 self-build projects across Europe.

Speakers: Jane Serraillier (Stroud Cohousing- Springhill), Ted Stevens (NaCSBA) + Special Guest TBC.
For more info. and tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/home-and-away-lessons-from-the-uk-and-europe-on-successful-self-build-community-projects-tickets-19456792791

Saturday 5th December – Day 6: Let The People Build! (followed by our “Make It Happen Party”)Day 6 of this festival of people-led housing rounds up with 2 key speakers (Ben Adam-Smith and Sam Brown) who in very different ways of been on a journey to explore and understand the lay of the land in sustainable self-build housing. The Bristol housing agenda will be put in the spotlight as event organiser’s director Jackson Moulding and Bristol CLT chair Keith Cowling address key issues they see for the European Green Capital of 2015.
Speakers: Sam Brown (Jon Broome Architect/NaCSBA), Ben Adam-Smith (House Planning Help), Keith Cowling ( Bristol Community Land Trust), Jackson Moulding (Ecomotive)

Make It Happen Party featuring: Toyface, Rebecca Tantony + More TBC

For more info. and tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/let-the-people-build-followed-by-our-make-it-happen-party-tickets-19461111709

Volunteers:

We need friendly, approachable, volunteers who enjoy working in a team to help make this event a success. Volunteers will form a team each day and be involved in welcoming and guiding event guests and speakers, serving drinks in the event café, and helping to organise the different sessions. Get involved for one or more days with flexibility around the hours you can do, and we can guarantee an enjoyable learning experience, job references, and of course you will be contributing to an inspiring community-led housing movement. For more details please email Richard at richard at ecomotive.org

SITE MAP

Who we are
What we do
Snug Homes
Local Self Build Register
Self-build services
Get involved
Contact
FIND OUT MORE

To keep up to date with what we are doing, please signup to our Newsletter.
ADDRESS

Ecomotive Ecomotive Limited Unit 2, 228 Mina Road Bristol BS2 9YP Telephone: 0117 924 1263