School questioned Muslim pupil about ISIS after discussion on eco-activism

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Sep 23 22:25:40 BST 2015

School questioned Muslim pupil about Isis after discussion on eco-activism

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/sep/22/school-questioned-muslim-pupil-about-isis-after-discussion-on-eco-activism

Parents of 14-year-old at north London’s Central
Foundation school take legal action after he was
left ‘scared and nervous’ by experience
<http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/sep/22/http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/sep/22/school-questioned-muslim-pupil-about-isis-after-discussion-on-eco-activism#img-1>
<http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/sep/22/http://www.theguardian.com/profile/vikramdodd>Vikram
Dodd Tuesday 22 September 2015 17.46 BSTLast
modified on Wednesday 23 September 201501.10 BST
http://www.911forum.org.uk/board/viewtopic.php?p=170896#170896

A Muslim schoolboy was questioned about Islamic
State after a classroom discussion about
environmental activism, the Guardian has learned.

The parents of the 14-year-old are taking legal
action after the boy said he was left “scared and
nervous” by his experience with school officials
in north London, and was left reluctant to join
in class discussions for fear of being suspected of extremism.

The incident gives an insight into how schools
and teachers are dealing with the pressures of
the government’s new anti-extremism initiatives
amid mounting concern about British youngsters being lured by Isis propaganda.

According to court documents, the boy was in a
French class at the Central Foundation school in
May 2015 and took part in a discussion, conducted
mostly in French, about the environment. The
teacher and pupils were said to have discussed
those who use violence to protect the planet.

The teenager mentioned that some people use the
term “ecoterrorist” to describe those who take
action such as spiking trees with nails to
prevent chainsaws from chopping them down.

A few days later he was pulled out of class and
taken to an “inclusion centre” elsewhere in the
school. During this meeting the schoolboy said
one adult sat behind him, and another in front of
him, whom he had not seen before. That person was
a child protection officer, the Guardian has
learned, who had been called in to establish if
concerns about terrorism were legitimate.

The boy who wishes not to be named, told the
Guardian: “I didn’t know what was going on. They
said there had been safety concerns raised. If
you are taken out of French class and asked about
Isis, it is quite scary. My heart skipped a beat.”

He said he was baffled how mentioning the phrases
“L’ecoterrorisme”, which he had learned from an
earlier session of the school debating society,
led to him being asked whether he supported Isis.

The boy and his parents say he was asked if he
was “affiliated” with Isis. The school said he
was asked if he had heard of the terrorist group,
according to legal papers filed by his mother.
The boy’s mother said her son came home from school “visibly distressed”.

The school said it was protecting the “welfare of
the child in line with statutory and
non-statutory guidance including the ’prevent
duty’”, the government initiative that aims to
stop people turning to extremism and terrorist
violence, according to the legal documents.

His parents are seeking a judicial review,
arguing the child was discriminated against and
was singled him out because of his Muslim
heritage. They also described the prevent policy
as unfair. Recently, new laws placed a “positive
duty” on schools to implement it.

The school and Islington council, which controls
it, declined to answer questions about the
incident. However, a spokesperson for Central
Foundation Boys’ school said: “The safeguarding
and the wellbeing of our young people is our primary concern.

“The school is confident that its safeguarding
policies and the work of the professionals in the
operation of these policies are proportionate,
justified and place the wellbeing of the child to
the fore. We do not comment on confidential
matters relating to individual young people.”

The teenager said school friends have been
supportive, especially white ones, viewing it as
an injustice suffered because he is Muslim.

In the end no action was taken and the teenager
has been attending the school, which is highly
rated. He has been student of the week three
times in last two years and said teachers were
usually nice and took time to get to know the
students. He has since dropped French, and
ultimately wants to be a software engineer.

Last week David Anderson, the
government-appointed independent reviewer of
terrorism, said ”prevent” caused widespread anger
among Muslim communities. “While good work is
undoubtedly done under prevent, it is also the
focus of considerably more resentment among
Muslims than either the criminally-focused prohibitions,” he said.

In a sworn statement as part of the legal action,
the teenager said he was in a morning French
class when the discussion occurred. He said: “I
had recently learned about eco-warriors and the
demonstrations that they organise in the context
of an extracurricular debating club in which I take part called Debate Mate.

“When I said this, I thought that [the teacher]
looked concerned. I therefore explained what
eco-warriors are, and that sometimes people who
call themselves eco-warriors take action such as
spiking trees with nails to prevent chainsaws
from chopping them down, as the metal nails blunt
the blades of the saw. I then said that some
people refer to this as ‘eco­ terrorism’.”

Around one week later the teenager was in another
French class when he was taken out to an
“inclusion centre”. Describing what happened
there, he said in his statement: “The lady behind
the desk told me that she was a child protection
officer. She then said to me that there had been
“a safety concern raised”. I did not understand
why she was talking about a safety concern and
what this had to do with me. She went on to say:
‘Your French teacher
 I think, mentioned you used the word terrorism.’

“I remembered the lesson and explained that I had
mentioned the phrase eco-terrorism in relation to
eco-warriors and protecting the environment. I
explained again what they were, and that they put
nails in trees to blunt the blade of a chainsaw
which is why people sometimes call them
terrorists. The member of staff behind the desk
looked at the member of staff behind me and said:
‘Told you, he is a tree-hugger.’

“She made a hugging gesture with her arms and,
looking at me, asked me if I ‘went around hugging
trees’ like one of her relatives. She then asked
me: ’Do you have any affiliation with Isis?’

“When she said the word Isis I immediately felt
alarmed and extremely scared. I knew what Isis
was as I have seen reports about them in the
media. I knew that they behead and kill people. I
could not think why she was asking me this or how
it followed on from my French lesson ... and replied no.

“The member of staff sitting behind me, who had
brought me to the inclusion centre, then asked
me: ‘Do the chainsaws explode?’. Before I could
answer the member of staff sitting behind the
desk asked: ’Do you understand why there could be a misunderstanding?’”

The boy’s mother said: “He was presumed guilty
because he was Muslim. As parents we are doing
the right thing but still our son is accused.
There was nothing in what he said that warranted
him being taken out of class and treated as a criminal.”

She said she thought prevent was causing damage
and stifling discussions that could stop
extremism. “If the three girls from Bethnal Green
who went to Syria, if they had said in class: ‘My
dream is to marry a jihadi’, their peer group
would probably have slapped them down,” she said

In a response to the legal action, Central
Foundation school said it should be dismissed.
According to legal documents related to the case
it added: “It is unarguable that at the relevant
time (May 2015) the school was required as part
of its safeguarding responsibilities to be aware
of the dangers of radicalisation.

“The approach of alerting the designated child
protection officer by email regarding
inappropriate references to terrorism and for
[her] to have short 10-minute conversation with
the claimant was a reasonable and proportionate response.”

The school added: “This safeguarding step can not
be criticised, as the school had due regard to
its overarching duty to safeguard pupils and the
need to prevent them being drawn into terrorism.”