The UK and its tax-haven oversea territories

Mark Brown mark at tlio.org.uk
Tue Apr 12 10:01:47 BST 2016

Angus Robertson, the leader of the Scottish National Party’s bloc in Britain’s
Parliament, yesterday in response to Prime Minster Cameron's statement on the
Panama Papers in the House of Commons made passing reference to the reality of
how a small number of landowners through offshore trusts own vast swathes of
land across Scotland - a detail which possibly doesn't often get much public
exposure.  He has challenged the prime minister to detail the government’s
efforts to crack down on illegal tax shelters. See his contribution here:
http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/b7fe1d16-a671-4d1f-aab4-f1e442156545?in=16:03:51

see also: "
A Leonardo da Vinci painting, a Country Park and a secrecy jurisdiction – the
offshore interests of the Scott family" by Andy Whiteman and Carole Ross
Ref:  http://www.andywightman.com/archives/4454

 "Offshore is undermining your elected government, hollowing out its tax base
and corrupting its politicians. It is sustaining a vast criminal economy and
creating a new, unaccountable aristocracy of corporate and financial power. If
we do not act together to contain and control financial secrecy then ... a world
of suave insiders, impunity, international criminal complicity and desperate
poverty, will become the world we leave to our children. A tiny few will have
their boots washed in champagne while the rest of us struggle for our lives in
conditions of deepening inequality."- from the book “Treasure Island - Tax
Havens and the Men Who Stole the World”, by Nicholas Shaxson (2011) [Ref:
p-289].

With the political fallout with the leaking of the "Panama papers", in the UK,
Prime Minster David Cameron received much criticism from the media for an
initially slow admission of this personal fortune tied up in an offshore trust
in a tax haven set up by his late father. The background was that the UK had
been preparing for an international conference to be hosted next month on the
issue of tax-havens and rooting out corruption, and now are making great fanfare
of the assertion that they had already started preparation work for extending
and deepening domestic measures they have brought in to clamp down on tax
evasion since 2010 in the previous UK coalition government (45 different
measures, they claim), including working with their oversea dependencies to
encourage greater transparency - with the ultimate goal being to extend these
measures out into a new global agreement.  After eventually revealing details of
his personal finances under pressure from the media over the last week after
initial evasion, the UK prime minster revealed a three-pronged plan to attack
offshore tax avoidance. These are:

1) UK law enforcement will have powers to investigate the beneficiaries of firms
in all tax havens, except Anguila and Guernsey who are yet to agree to the
deal.*

 2) A criminal offence will be introduced for ‘corporations who fail to protect
their representatives from criminally facilitating tax evasion.’

3) A government task force will also be introduced to crack down on tax evasion.

 However, the leaking of the Panama Papers - a leaked set of 11.5 million
confidential documents that provide detailed information about more than 214,000
offshore companies listed by the Panamanian corporate service provider Mossack
Fonseca, including the identities of shareholders and directors of the companies
and five then-heads of state or government leaders from Argentina, Iceland,
Saudi Arabia, Ukraine, and the United Arab Emirates - may have pushed the UK
government to go further than they were initially intending to in extending and
deepening measures to crack down on tax evasion as media scrutiny has put them
on the back foot. This maybe the case because over half of the 214,000 offshore
companies set up by Mossack Fonseca were registered in UK overseas territories,
with over 100,000 secret firms registered in the British Virgin Islands. The
UK's claim of 'leadership' in tackling the issue rings hollow. As revealed by
Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn in the House of Commons in response to Prime
Minster Cameron's statement on the Panama Papers on Monday 11th April 2016, the
UK government opposed a European Union bid to impose sanctions on tax havens
like Bermuda, where Google channels its overseas profits.

Angus Robertson of the Scottish Nationalist Party said in his response: "the UK
and her dependent territories sit on the top of the Financial Secrecy Index of
the Tax Justice Network; the UK did not fully cooperate with its EU partners on
proposals to regulate overseas trusts".

Off-shore tax havens are central to the liberalised international financial
system, building into this system complex liability structures, which have
allowed risks to build-up unseen, increasing vulnerability to sudden shocks.
Tax-havens offer global capital ‘get out of regulation free-cards’, as well as
freedom from tax. According to the IMF, elite corporations and individuals
(popularly referred to as the 1%) hold a third of total wealth on the planet
with between £21 -to- £32 Trillion estimated to be located untaxed or already
taxed in tax haevens across the world (Angus Robertson, House of Commons,  11th
April 2016). [The City of London operates in the same way, under the
jurisdiction of a private corporation – the Corporation of London; Cameron’s
opt-out of a EU agreement on invoking a transaction tax across Europe in 2012
appeared to serve the interests of his hedge-fund buddies and ruling-class
constituency].

Under the 'Crown', with the territory owned by the Queen cited by writer Kevin
Cahill amounting to about 6,600 million acres of land and sea area across the
world, the Crown’s structure of elite privilege has as it’s foundation a
jurisdiction of global reach that encompasses 3 crown dependencies and oversea
territories with independent legislatures all of which host to an arrangement
that is fundamental to the workings of a corrupt world financial system.
However,'the Crown' is a fusion of Monarch with body politics (the law), and the
body politic in the UK and no doubt across the commonwealth is increasingly
voicing objection to this cancerous arrangement upon which the whole of the
global financial capitalist system is based.

 Mark