Street deaths: Growing crisis on UK streets as rough sleeper numbers soar

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Dec 5 13:09:36 GMT 2016

TRAGEDY OF UNKNOWN HOMELESS MAN FOUND ‘FROZEN TO
DEATH’ IN CITY CENTRE ON COLDEST NIGHT OF THE YEAR

<http://tlio.org.uk/tragedy-of-unknown-homeless-man-found-frozen-to-death-in-city-centre-on-coldest-night-of-the-year/>05/12/2016
<http://tlio.org.uk/author/tony/>TONY
GOSLING<http://tlio.org.uk/tragedy-of-unknown-homeless-man-found-frozen-to-death-in-city-centre-on-coldest-night-of-the-year/#respond>LEAVE
A COMMENT <http://tlio.org.uk/wp-admin/post.php?post=2649&action=edit>EDIT

Police were called to a car park entrance on
Wednesday night after a local drinking in the nearby boozer discovered the man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wy57j6hnHM

BYJAMES CARTLEDGE & SCARLET HOWES – 13:21, 1 DEC 2016
<http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/>NEWS

Video thumbnail, Tragic last moments of homeless man who died i

The body of a
<http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/homelessness>homeless
man was found tragically ‘frozen to death’ in
Birmingham’s city centre on the coldest night of the year.

Police were called to a car park entrance in
Station Road at 11.30pm Wednesday after a local
drinking in the nearby boozer discovered the man.

It’s understood the body, found opposite the
Victoria pub in John Bright Street, is that of a
30-year-old male of no fixed address.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

<http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/west-midlands-police>West
Midlands Police have said they do not believe the
circumstances to be suspicious but it was
suggested the man’s death was connected to drugs,
according to
<http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/updates-homeless-man-found-dead-12251393>Birmingham
Mail .

Last night saw Britain hit with the lowest
November temperatures in six years, as temperatures plunged to -6C.

There has been a huge outpouring of emotion from
Birmingham residents following the discovery of the body.

Hundreds of Birmingham Mail readers left comments
on the
paper’s<http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/facebook>Facebook
page, with many telling of their ‘heartbreak’ at
what appears to be a growing homelessness problem.

Leah Martin said: “It’s ridiculous how many more
men and women have to die for something to be done.”

Laurence Mahony said: “Disgusting in this day and
age NOONE should be homeless. NOONE. We are a
rich country who don’t do enough for our
citizens. Councils and Government should hold their head down in shame.”

The man’s body was found hours before shocking
new figures revealed
<http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/new-research-reveals-true-extent-12254181>almost
10,000 people were homeless in Birmingham .

Growing crisis on UK streets as rough sleeper numbers soar

http://tlio.org.uk/tragedy-of-unknown-homeless-man-found-frozen-to-death-in-city-centre-on-coldest-night-of-the-year/
Charities raise concerns for homeless people over
recent deaths and falling temperatures
<https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/04/rough-sleeper-numbers-homeless#img-1>
Jason Nash looks for buildings where he can sleep at night.
<https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/04/rough-sleeper-numbers-homeless#img-1>
  Jason Nash looks for buildings where he can
sleep at night. Photograph: Andy Hall for the Observer

<https://www.theguardian.com/profile/tracymcveigh>Tracy McVeigh

Sunday 4 December 2016 00.05 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/04/rough-sleeper-numbers-homeless

Jason Nash wears all three of his jackets and
both his pairs of jeans at the same time. His
sleeping bag doesn’t look like it has the
greatest filling but he tries to get inside the
stairwell of a block of flats to sleep when he
can so at least he doesn’t get wet if it rains overnight.

Now 26, Nash has had only sporadic periods of
living under a roof since he left care. He has a
heroin and crack problem which costs him around
£60 a day. “When I’m off my nut I can sleep. I
don’t think you can live on the streets sober. It’s cold,” he says.

Nash is one of the rapidly growing number of
people sleeping rough on Britain’s streets. With
some of the harshest weather of the winter still
to come, charities and local authorities say this
rapid rise is extremely concerning.

Three homeless people have died in the last 10
days – two men died in a fire at a derelict
building in Manchester and last Tuesday a
30-year-old man died in his sleeping bag in a
Birmingham car park. There have been “tent city”
protests in Leeds, Manchester and Hull over the
past few weeks, with homeless people
demonstrating against what they see as local authority inaction on the issue.

The annual count, carried out by 44 English
authorities and estimated by the other 282,
finished last week. Sources at three cities told
the Observer their figures, which are yet to be
officially released, were double last year’s number.

Charities say the counts only pick up the most
visible – those sleeping in shop doorways, for
example – and miss the majority hidden in
derelict buildings or other makeshift shelters.
Official government figures for the 2015 count
were 3,569 people rough sleeping in England on a
single night, up 102% from 2010. In Scotland the
closest statistic is that 1,787 people slept
rough the night before submitting a homelessness
application in 2014. But those figures contrast
with those from charity outreach workers who
reported seeing 8,000 people on the streets in London alone last year.

Howard Sinclair, chief executive of homelessness
charity St Mungo’s, says the true figure is 10
times that. “Rough sleeping is increasing
year-on-year – and so are the needs of those
people, the complex issues, the range of
problems,” he says. “The degree of need, is much,
much higher than it was even three years ago.”

The housing crisis, the reduction of benefits –
especially to younger people – and austerity cuts
hitting local councils, charities and mental
health services are creating the “perfect storm”
in human misery, says Sinclair.

“With all of this the numbers can only worsen,
the housing crisis is not just about house prices
and the shortage of social housing, but problems
with private landlords. That’s the area we’re
really seeing a rise in, people ending up on the
streets after tenancy breakdowns.

“What you see is that strata of people who really
have nothing – no money, no front door key, no
friend or family. That number is growing. And you
can’t just pin it all on local authorities, the
health service is failing people too – 90% of
rough sleepers are discharged from hospitals back on to the streets.”
<https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/04/rough-sleeper-numbers-homeless#img-2>
The number of rough sleepers has more than doubled since 2010.
<https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/04/rough-sleeper-numbers-homeless#img-2>
<https://www.facebook.com/dialog/share?app_id=180444840287&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fsociety%2F2016%2Fdec%2F04%2Frough-sleeper-numbers-homeless%3FCMP%3Dshare_btn_fb%26page%3Dwith%3Aimg-2%23img-2&picture=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.guim.co.uk%2F5632d3489d130a3e551d728bafdd458675c70d7c%2F0_192_5760_3456%2F5760.jpg>Facebook<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Growing%20crisis%20on%20UK%20streets%20as%20rough%20sleeper%20numbers%20soar&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fsociety%2F2016%2Fdec%2F04%2Frough-sleeper-numbers-homeless%3FCMP%3Dshare_btn_tw%26page%3Dwith%3Aimg-2%23img-2>Twitter<http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?description=Growing%20crisis%20on%20UK%20streets%20as%20rough%20sleeper%20numbers%20soar&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fsociety%2F2016%2Fdec%2F04%2Frough-sleeper-numbers-homeless%3Fpage%3Dwith%3Aimg-2%23img-2&media=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.guim.co.uk%2F5632d3489d130a3e551d728bafdd458675c70d7c%2F0_192_5760_3456%2F5760.jpg>Pinterest
  The number of rough sleepers has more than doubled since 2010.
Photograph: Fabio De Paola for the Observer

Darren is in his late 30s. In April he was living
in Camden, north London. He lost his job in
healthcare, could not meet his rent, was evicted
and ended up sleeping on the streets. All within
a period of four weeks. “It was really scary. I
had a normal life, I always had a job, then I
wasn’t able to eat,” he says. “I went to the
council when I still had a roof over my head and
they took all my details and told me they’d write
to me, but before they did I had no address any
more, I was homeless. I went to their offices but
you’re not a high priority and I didn’t know
where else to go for help. When you’re homeless
you can’t have a search on the internet to look
for help, you can’t look for a job.”

He slept rough for two months before being picked
up by an outreach team from St Mungo’s and given
temporary accommodation. “I’m one of the lucky
ones, you hear the stories of violence and abuse, its so dangerous out there.”

Dave Smith of the UK-wide No Accommodation
(Naccom) network of groups helping destitute
refugees and asylum seekers, said homelessness
was now no longer confined just to bigger cities.
“Homelessness is getting worse and rough sleeping
is rising everywhere. Places like Burnley,
Preston and Skelmersdale now have destitute
people on their streets. We are really only
seeing a tiny proportion of the problem as most
aren’t sleeping in doorways but hiding away.
Especially with people of colour like asylum
seekers – they know their colour makes them much more vulnerable to attack.”

For Nash, violence is part of his life. “You get
a kick or a thumping every week or so,” he says.
He has been in and out of prison and sleeping
rough since he left the care system. “I was a
troubled teen. My dad and step-mum had six kids
and all of us went into care,” he says. “I
haven’t seen my dad for years, when I did he’d
promise me the world. I haven’t seen my mum since
I was two, I don’t know if she’s dead, I think she is.

“I tried to kill myself once, but the doctor gave
me some tablets for the depression. He’s a good bloke.”