[BTF-Announce] Coming up, from Breaking The Frame

breaking tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Feb 12 13:26:11 GMT 2016

Greetings from Breaking The Frame!

There's quite a lot happening in the Breaking the Frame network.  We
wanted to make sure we told you, since we've been in touch with you
before.*  So here's a quick update on what we've been working on lately.

In this email:
    * Discussion workshops on Friday nights in Bristol
    * Women's Gathering on April 16th in London
    * 40th Anniversary of the Lucas Plan in November
    * Planning meeting for Lucas Plan Anniversary on Feb 14th in London

Discussions and workshops in Bristol

A series of events has been taking place at Hydra bookshop in Bristol
on Friday evenings, on the themes of technology and democracy.

We've already had some well-attended and stimulating discussions
about digital encryption, global energy politics and smart
networks.  Coming up are more talks on topics such as nuclear energy,
modern weapons and flood management.

Find out more at http://breakingtheframe.org.uk/category/events-listings/

Women and the Politics of Digital Technologies: London, 16th April 2016

Please save the date for this exciting women's gathering, which will
include talks and discussions in the daytime followed by dinner and
drinks in the evening.  We have now confirmed our first speaker,
Heather Brunskell-Evans of the University of Leicester. Heather will
be speaking about pornography in the digital age.

The event is raising funds for The Feminist Library's emergency
appeal to help it find a new home.  We intend to hold the event at
the library, however it is currently under severe threat of imminent
eviction by its landlords, Southwark Council.  We'll be following up
with details of more speakers and confirmation of the venue nearer the time.

Find out more about the event and how you can help save the library
at http://breakingtheframe.org.uk/women-digital-technologies/

Planning the 40th Anniversary of the Lucas Plan

The Lucas Plan was a pioneering effort by workers at Lucas Aerospace
to propose alternative, socially useful applications of the company's
technology and workers' skills.  The idea was to retain jobs through
meeting genuine social needs.

Forty years after the Lucas Plan, it's now more important than ever
to re-open the debate about industrial conversion and democratic
control of technology.  Together with trade unionists and
organisations from the peace and environment movements, we want to
use this opportunity to celebrate and raise awareness of the Plan's
achievements.

If you're interested in getting involved and helping to organise and
promote this project, the next planning meeting is on February 14th
at 2pm at the MayDay Rooms, 88 Fleet St, London EC4Y 1DH.  Find out
more at http://breakingtheframe.org.uk/lucas-plan/

That's all for now! We hope to see as many of you as possible at
events and meetings this year.  Please get in touch at
info at breakingtheframe.org.uk if you have any questions.

 From the Breaking The Frame Working Group.

PS  We've fixed up our website lately too, and have added videos from
the 2015 Breaking The Frame Gathering, audio recordings from the 2015
Women's Gathering on Gender and the Politics of Technology, and much
more. Please take a look around at http://breakingtheframe.org.uk/

email list.
To contact a moderator: breakingtheframe-editor at lists.riseup.net
To contact a list admin: breakingtheframe-admin at lists.riseup.net