The first step to privatizing the local planning system?

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Fri Jan 8 11:42:33 GMT 2016

<https://portaldirector.wordpress.com/2016/01/07/bill-amended-to-allow-ministers-to-pilot-competition-in-processing-planning-applications/>

Bill amended to allow ministers to pilot competition in processing
planning applications

Planning Portal, 7th January 2016

Planning minister Brandon Lewis has announced proposals to pilot
competition in the processing of planning applications.

This move was signalled just past midnight on Tuesday in the Commons
during the first session of the report stage of the Government’s
Housing and Planning Bill.

Opposition MPs complained the plan would “weaken the accountability of
local planning services” and risked undermining local planning
departments.

The proposal to test whether planning could be speeded up if
“alternative providers” handled planning applications is the subject
of a number of amendments to the legislation proposed at the end of
last year after the bill had completed its detailed scrutiny by a
committee of MPs.

<SNIP>

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

email -- mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website -- http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key -- http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/public_key_2015.asc

Not sent from my mobile device -- I don't have one! ;-)