Fwd: Feed Avalon January Newsletter - tons of events, courses & more!

Nicole Vosper nicolevosper at gmx.com
Wed Jan 6 14:30:14 GMT 2016

Upcoming events, courses & more in 2016
Welcome to the latest news from Feed Avalon

View this email in your browser
<http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=7ddc89906b&e=45a0a762eb>

*Happy New Year from Feed Avalon! *Please read below some of the
exciting things we have planned for 2016.

*Don't miss the first Community Food Forum of 2016 *

Feed Avalon are organising three yearly community food forums. The aim
is to bring together interested individuals and groups from the local
area who are currently active, or interested in becoming active, in
reclaiming our food system.

They are informal events where we can talk, share food and build
relationships.

The next forum is:

*6.30 – 8.30pm on Wednesday 27th January 2016 at the Red Brick Community
Building in Glastonbury*

Please bring some food to share!

Food Forum Jan16
<http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=efdc7e476e&e=45a0a762eb>

*Red Brick Building Community Garden Club re-starting Weds 13th January *

We are still running a regular gardening club at the Red Brick Building
Community Garden. You are very welcome to come along any and every
Wednesday you can.

Total beginners absolutely welcome! Childcare support is available.

*Plans afoot for Avalon Wildflower Park*

AWP3*Avalon Wildflower Park (AWP)* is a new community growing space in
Glastonbury, Somerset. With land recently leased from the council, the
park area sits opposite an established community garden, skate park and
the Red Brick Building. The former BMX track, now overgrown, is unloved
and neglected.

*What is the vision?*

Our vision is to transform it into a haven of native plants, buzzing
with life. AWP will bring together young people from nearby colleges,
schools and youth projects, as well as diverse older residents to create
a beautiful, fun and ecologically vibrant learning and community space.

*How can you get involved? *

Contact Bonita the Avalon Wildflower Project Co-ordinator:
bon at feedavalon.org.uk

We have organised an initial design workshop & planting for wildflowers
course. We have also applied for some funding. Volunteers at the RBB
Community Garden will help prepare the site. All help is welcome!

*Amazing Array of Courses Available as part of the EAT Project
(Education & Training)*

The EAT Project is Feed Avalon’s Education and Training in Food System
skills popular education initiative.

We organise courses, workshops, skill-shares and events to support all
of us gain the skills to reclaim our food system. Below is a list of
courses coming up in 2016:

*Practical Design Workshop – *Avalon Wildflower Park is a new community
project opposite the Red Brick Building. This practical design workshop,
led by an experienced designer, will be an opportunity to aid the
planning & re- design of the area while supporting people to learn new
skills. | 18th January 2016 | http://www.feedavalon.org.uk/design-workshop/

*Grow Your Own Garden* – A series of workshops about how to get started
in growing your own food. The course will cover how to build raised
beds, compost making, seed saving and sowing, fruit tree grafting and
other forms of propagation, as well as basic design and planning to make
the most of your garden. | February & March 2016 |
http://www.feedavalon.org.uk/grow-your-own-garden-course/

*Growing to Sell* – A two-day course that introduces market gardening
and growing food and plants to sell. | 24th & 25th February 2016 |
http://www.feedavalon.org.uk/growing-to-sell-2016/

*Planting for Pollinators *- Learn which plant families are useful to
pollinating insects & how to make your growing space more
pollinator-friendly. This detailed course will look indepth at planting
for pollinators. | 3rd March 2016 |
http://www.feedavalon.org.uk/pollinators/

*<http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=8f530ab44d&e=45a0a762eb>Spring
Soil School *– A weekend course in DIY strategies for soil care,
including mycorrhizal applications, no-dig, composting, biochar, soil
food web & more | Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th March 2016 |
http://www.feedavalon.org.uk/soil-school-2016/

*Pond Design & Construction Course *- A one day course exploring pond
design principles and practical construction. The course will take place
at Avalon Wildflower Park. | Monday 4th April 2016 |
http://www.feedavalon.org.uk/pond/

*Vegan Permaculture Design Cours**e* – A 10 day course delivered in 2 x
5 day blocks, taking place outside Glastonbury at Feed Avalon’s
Education Centre, Brook End. A comprehensive course introducing
permaculture ethics, principles and design methods. With Graham Burnett
and Nicole Vosper from Feed Avalon. | 9-13th July & 6 -10th August 2016

http://www.feedavalon.org.uk/dates-announced-for-the-permaculture-design-course-201/

Feed Avalon is a social enterprise dedicated to developing food systems
that are socially and economically empowering in order to build food
resilience in Glastonbury, Street and the surrounding areas.

We are a workers cooperative, committed to working collectively and
non-hierarchically.

We design and implement projects to accelerate socially just and
ecologically sustainable food production, organise events, run courses
and workshops, and network with others to build a movement to reclaim
our food system, locally and globally.

<http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=70326701bd&e=45a0a762eb>www.feedavalon.org.uk

*UPCOMING EVENTS

January *

  * Practical Design Workshop
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=87a6505e33&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 18/01/2016
  * Community Food Forum
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=c2652b8e97&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 27/01/2016

*February*

  * GYOG Course - Session 1: Know your soil
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=8439c6de46&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 03/02/2016
  * GYOG Course - Session 2: Feeding your family - how to plan your plot
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=8b91a015ef&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 10/02/2016
  * GYOG Course - Session 3: Make the most of your space
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=fb44290d2b&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 17/02/2016
  * Growing to Sell Course
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=6a2f62257a&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 24/02/2016 - 25/02/2016
  * GYOG Course - Session 4: How to build raised beds
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=5c605e4ba8&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 24/02/2016

*March*

  * GYOG Course - Session 5: Grow your own - seed sowing & propagation
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=bca3424513&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 02/03/2016
  * Planting for Pollinators Course
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=9910980a34&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 03/03/2016
  * GYOG Course - Session 6: Keeping plants healthy - pests & diseases
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=256cbc1204&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 09/03/2016
  * Spring Soil School
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=a7356c780a&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 19/03/2016 - 20/03/2016

*April*

  * Pond Design & Construction Course
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=f6e7bef8fe&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 04/04/2016

*July*

  * Permaculture Design Course, Part One
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=d24e65db6f&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 09/07/2016 - 13/07/2016

*August*

  * Permaculture Design Course, Part Two
    <http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=714400a3d9&e=45a0a762eb>

      o 06/08/2016 - 10/08/2016

*Don't forget our Wednesday Community Gardening Club
<http://feedavalon.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96f7880d32b3c8e715b46f64c&id=9902f7cda0&e=45a0a762eb>at
the Red Brick Building Community Garden in Glastonbury.*

/Copyright © 2016 Feed Avalon CIC, All rights reserved./
You signed up online or gave us your email at a local event.

*Our mailing address is:*
Feed Avalon CIC
Unit C1, Northover Buildings
Glastonbury, Somerset BA6 9NU