Native Americans To Oregon Militants: Get The Hell Off ‘Our Land

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Jan 8 14:59:44 GMT 2016

Native Americans To Oregon Militants: Get The Hell Off ‘Our Land’

http://www.mtv.com/news/2723580/burns-paiute-tribe-leaders-address-oregon-bundy-militants-land-ownership/
'They just need to get the hell out of here,' one tribal leader said.
by
<http://www.mtv.com/news/2723580/burns-paiute-tribe-leaders-address-oregon-bundy-militants-land-ownership/http://www.mtv.com/news/author/marusick/>kristina
marusic 23h ago

The Burns Paiute Tribe has inhabited Oregon for
<http://www.mtv.com/news/2723580/burns-paiute-tribe-leaders-address-oregon-bundy-militants-land-ownership/http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/burns_piaute_tribe_militants_s.html#incart_river_home>6,000
years. Including the part of Oregon located
inside the Malheur National Wildlife refuge,
where armed white militants are currently engaged
in
<http://www.mtv.com/news/2723580/burns-paiute-tribe-leaders-address-oregon-bundy-militants-land-ownership/http://www.mtv.com/news/2720424/oregon-wildlife-refuge-armed-protesters/>a
standoff with the federal government over the
<http://www.mtv.com/news/2723580/burns-paiute-tribe-leaders-address-oregon-bundy-militants-land-ownership/http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/wtf-is-happening-in-the-oregon-militia-standoff-explained-20160103>ownership
of the federally-controlled land they’re holding
hostage. The tribe has a few thoughts about that.

“They just need to get the hell out of here,”
Jarvis Kennedy, a member of the tribal council,
<http://www.mtv.com/news/2723580/burns-paiute-tribe-leaders-address-oregon-bundy-militants-land-ownership/http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/burns_piaute_tribe_militants_s.html#incart_river_home>said
in a press conference on Wednesday, according to
<http://www.mtv.com/news/2723580/burns-paiute-tribe-leaders-address-oregon-bundy-militants-land-ownership/http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/burns_piaute_tribe_militants_s.html#incart_river_home>report
from The Oregonian. “They didn’t ask anybody, we
don’t want them here
our little kids are sitting
at home when they should be in school.”

The Oregonian explains that “the tribe once
occupied a large swath of land that includes the
Malheur National Wildlife refuge,” which they
used as a wintering ground until they were forced
out by white settlers in the 1870s. Now, about
200 people live in the Burns Paiute Reservation,
which is 30 miles away from Malheur National
Wildlife Refuge headquarters. The tribe works
with the federal government to preserve important
archaeological sites on the reserve, which they
worry could be damaged by the militants.

“We never gave up our aboriginal rights to the
territory, so we as a tribe actually view this as
our land, no matter who is living on it,”
<http://www.mtv.com/news/2723580/burns-paiute-tribe-leaders-address-oregon-bundy-militants-land-ownership/http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/01/06/3736709/burns-tribe-protest/>said
Charlotte Rodrique, a tribal chair. “Armed protesters don’t belong here.”

Although the tribe indicated that it was
satisfied with the federal government’s response
to the militants so far, some members couldn’t
help but wonder whether Native Americans would
receive the same kind of treatment if they were
ever to assert their actual rights to the land using similar tactics.

“I wonder if it was bunch of natives that went
out there and overtook that, or any federal
land,” Jarvis Kennedy said. “Would they let us
come into town and get supplies and re-up?”
<http://www.mtv.com/news/2723580/burns-paiute-tribe-leaders-address-oregon-bundy-militants-land-ownership/http://www.mtv.com/news/2720672/on-point-tweets-perfectly-explain-the-bias-of-the-oregonunderattack-coverage/>
[]
<http://www.mtv.com/news/2723580/burns-paiute-tribe-leaders-address-oregon-bundy-militants-land-ownership/http://www.mtv.com/news/2720672/on-point-tweets-perfectly-explain-the-bias-of-the-oregonunderattack-coverage/>

These On Point Tweets Perfectly Explain The Bias
Of The #OregonUnderAttack Coverage