Thomas Paine's Agrarian Justice

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 30 18:37:44 GMT 2016

'His Agrarian Justice
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fthomaspaine.org%2Fmajor-works%2Fagrarian-justice.html&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEOUmUF5XVU3fI443s0J8DM5JuDig>,
written in 1795–96, was Paine’s last great pamphlet and marked the
completion of the social welfare project he had proposed in Philadelphia in
1775. The pamphlet reiterates in clear language Paine’s theory that
inequality and poverty arise not from nature but from society. More clearly
than in Rights of Man Part II, and plainly inspired by the Babouvistes, he
traces the origins of this inequality to private property. Crucially, the
cause of inequality in Agrarian Justice is no longer linked to an
“aristocratic” system of privileges, as in all his previous works, but to
the very institution of property itself.

In the author’s inscription, he states, “There are two kinds of property.
Firstly, natural property,” in the land, air, and water of the earth, which
the Creator gave all humanity an equal right to, and, secondly, “artificial
or acquired property,” the products of labor of which “equality is
impossible,” since that would require “that all should have contributed in
the same proportion, which can never be the case.” He states, “Equality of
natural property is the subject of this little essay. Every individual in
the world is born therein with legitimate claims on a certain kind of
property, or its equivalent.”

He goes on to argue, like John Locke
<http://www.johnlocke.net/two-treatises-of-government-book-i/> had, that in
the state of nature the earth and all its bounties were “the common
property of the human race.” But unlike Locke, Paine insists that this
right is *not*forfeited when land is claimed as private property for the
sake of cultivation — “it is the value of the improvement only, and not the
earth itself, that is individual property.”

He explains that such private property is justified because cultivation so
greatly increases the productivity of the soil, but that in “all those who
have been thrown out of their natural inheritance by the introduction of
the system of landed property” are owed compensation for that loss by right.

“Every proprietor, therefore, of cultivated land, owes to the community a
*ground-rent* . . . for the land which he holds,” the funds from which
would go towards a new scheme of social security. Again, Paine insists, “it
is a right, and not a charity, that I am pleading for.”

The money raised by this ground rent would be distributed out as an equal
payment to “every person, rich or poor” on turning twenty-one, guaranteeing
to each citizen a modest inheritance, “means to prevent their becoming
poor.” This proposal has often been interpreted as the first suggestion for
a universal basic income
<https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/01/alive-in-the-sunshine/>, but that
doesn’t seem to be exactly what Paine had in mind.

While a basic income is usually seen as an anti-poverty measure designed to
help the poor meet their living expenses with regular cash payments,
Paine’s proposal takes the form of a one-time lump-sum grant given to each
individual when they reach adulthood. He goes on to say, “With this aid
they could buy a cow, and implements to cultivate a few acres of land; and
[work for themselves] instead of becoming burdens upon society.” Paine
hopes that recipients will use their social inheritance not to buy
consumption goods, but to buy for themselves some *means of production*,
and avoid entirely the precarious and pauperized life of wage labor.

This is a universal capital grant
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asset-based_egalitarianism>, not a basic
income. Paine wants to make everyone the owner of productive property.
Republican liberty, after all, requires economic independence and material
security for everyone. '