Outrage as Milton Keynes Council admits it destroys homeless people’s tents

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Jul 22 01:22:59 BST 2016

Outrage as Milton Keynes Council admits it destroys homeless people’s tents

http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/

----------
Posted on Jul 21st, 2016 in
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/category/streetnews/>Street
News //
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/#comments>Comments
»
Tags:
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/tag/nomoredeathsonourstreets/>#NoMoreDeathsOnOurStreets,
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/tag/homeless/>homeless,
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/tag/homeless-hate-laws/>Homeless
hate laws,
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/tag/housing/>housing,
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/tag/local-councils/>Local
Councils,
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/tag/milton-keynes/>Milton
Keynes,
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/tag/poverty-pimps/>Poverty
Pimps,
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/tag/rough-sleepers/>Rough
Sleepers,
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://streetskitchen.co.uk/tag/uk-housing/>UK
Housing

Residents have expressed their outrage that the
tents of the homeless are being cleared up by
Milton Keynes Council, and some have even had
eviction notices put on them, despite these tents
being issued by charities and organisations
trying to help homeless people the city.

The issue was highlighted and debated for hours
at
a<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://www.onemk.co.uk/milton-keynes-homelessness-3-ways-milton-keynes-council-aim-to-tackle-crisis/story-29475210-detail/story.html>
Housing and Community Committee at Milton Keynes
Council Civic Offices last night Thursday (July 14) that OneMK attended.

homeless not a crime

The meeting’s aim was to discuss the ‘One Stop
Shop’ for homeless people proposed in
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://www.onemk.co.uk/milton-keynes-homelessness-3-ways-milton-keynes-council-aim-to-tackle-crisis/story-29475210-detail/story.html>Milton
Keynes Councils 2016/17 and future plan.

The issue surrounding the tents was highlight by
Helen Wilson from the MK Green Party.

She said: “I am really concerned of the waste of
resources, giving people tents and then the
Council coming a long and clearing them away.

“This money spent on tents by organisations and
charities could be going on a night shelter.

“The Council have even put eviction notices on
tents, and often homeless people have not only
lost all their possessions that were inside but
also lost family photos when they were cleared away.”

Residents and councillors added to the outrage of
this, with Councillor Alice Jenkins, from the
Danesborough and Walton ward, giving an emotional
comment that: “If the Council can spend
£2.5million on air conditioning they can find money to help the homelessness

“I am shocked and disgusted that eviction notices are going on tents.”

For many shocked councillors this was the first
they had heard of this action, and in response
Duncan Sharkey, corporate director at the
Council, said: “We do clear tents and we will
keep clearing tents, because we don’t support the
use of tents in the public places they are springing up.

“We are trying to balance out the needs of a
wider community. If we let people stay in tents
we get complaints from many other people.

“Where we get complaints you can make your own
valued judgement, but we have to make decisions
when people disagree, there are people who think
people living in a tent near them is a problem.

“And we are trying to extend the offer we have got.

“We don’t disagree that facilities aren’t good enough.”

Despite some fierce debates throughout the
evening, what everyone did agree on was that
there is not one solution and a lot needs to me
done now, before this Winter claims more lives,
and we need more action than discussion in Milton Keynes.

source:
<http://streetskitchen.co.uk/outrage-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-peoples-tents/http://www.onemk.co.uk/8203-outrage-from-residents-as-milton-keynes-council-admit-it-destroys-homeless-people-s-tents/story-29515395-detail/story.html#MAcE5VweraQwlyHy.99>oneMK