Barcelona: this week's battle to occupy Banc Expropriat

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Jun 1 18:35:47 BST 2016

Barcelona: the battle for the Banc Expropriat goes on, a week in the streets

https://rabble.org.uk/barcelona-the-battle-for-the-banc-expropriat-goes-on-a-week-in-the-streets/
  <https://rabble.org.uk/barcelona-the-battle-for-the-banc-expropriat-goes-on-a-week-in-the-streets/>MAY
29, 2016 <https://rabble.org.uk/category/news/>NEWS

Last Monday, the Catalan riot police (Mossos
d’Esquadra) evicted El Banc Expropriat, a
long-running squat and neighbourhood hub in the
Gracia area of Barcelona. Demos and street
clashes have continued all week (the latest going
on as we write today) as thousands of people try
to retake the building, which is now guarded by
welded steel shutters and several hundred
robocops. El Banc Expropriat of Gracia is the
longest standing and best known of several former
banks occupied in Barcelona since the financial
crisis, and has become a focal point of local resistance and struggle.

In May 2014, the eviction of
<https://en.squat.net/tag/can-vies/>Can Vies
squat in the Sants area led to a week of rioting
into the city centre, and a massive show of
support from the neighbourhoods and beyond,
causing the city government to back down and
return the building to the people. Fearing a
repeat of this rebellion, the then mayor of
Xavier Trias made a behind-the-scenes deal with
the owner of the Banc Expropriat building (a
property speculator called Manuel Bravo Solano)
in which the City Council paid up 5000 euros a month in rent.

One year ago, Dias was replaced as mayor by Ada
Colau of the new “Barcelona en Comú” party, an
electoral project which emerged from the
grassroots movements growing in Barcelona and
other cities following the crisis. “People’s
mayor” Colau is herself a well-known housing
activist, anti-eviction campaigner and darling of
the radical left. Colau ended the secret rent
payments on the Banc Expropriat and, when the
owners then called in the Mossos to evict,
declared the eviction a “private matter” out of
her hands. She has also made statements
condemning “violence” from people defending the
social centre. Colau offered to arrange an
alternative state-approved building, to which the Banc Expropriat responds:

“We do not want another space, we want this one,
where it is, with its neighbors. El Banc is ours
because we have constructed it second by second
with all the people that has passed by and have
made it vibrate with hundreds of different
experiences; El Banc is ours and we will defend it until the end.”

The eviction of El Banc Expropriat came less than
3 weeks after the Barcelona authorities also
evicted the migrant solidarity squat
<http://en.squat.net/2016/05/05/barcelona-express-eviction-of-refugee-centre-occupied-at-mayday-demo/>El
Mukkhayam. And on the very same day as those
other friendly humanitarian leftists Syriza
evicted Europe’s largest refugee camp in Idomeni, northern Greece.

Here is a very brief timeline of events so far
this week. We repost below some translated
communiques from El Banc Expropriat with much
more detail. For more info and updates see the
<https://bancexpropiatgracia.wordpress.com/>Banc
Expropriat website (in Catalan) and
<http://en.squat.net/>Squat.net for English translations.

Monday 23 May.
<http://en.squat.net/2016/05/24/barcelona-15-injured-in-riots-against-eviction-of-the-expropriated-bank/>Banc
Expropriat evicted by riot cops in 10 hour
operation. A demo was called for 8pm in the
evening. Up to 2000 people came out in the
evening, but the building was surrounded and
guarded by robocops. Banks and other institutions
of capitalist violence were smashed. In clashes
that night, some 15 people are injured including
rubber bullet wounds to the head.

Tuesday 24 May.
<http://en.squat.net/2016/05/25/day-2-brief-re-occupation-of-bank-before-police-attack/>Second
night of demonstration and street fighting.
Demonstrators managed this time to get to the
building, get through the steel shutters and
temporarily reoccupy. But then they were beaten
back again by charges of the Mossos, in which
another 19 people were injured. Around the
neighbourhood, people also showed support by
banging pots and pans from the balconies.

Wednesday 25 May. Third night of demonstration
and street fighting. Again, the demo met at 8PM
in Revolution Square and again attempted to
re-take the bank. Again, they were beaten back by
hundreds of Mossos who used baton charges, van
charges, and rubber bullets amongst other tactics.

Sunday 29 May. Daytime demonstration now happening.

<http://en.squat.net/2016/05/25/barcelona-statement-of-el-banc/>Statement
No 1, 24 May. WE WILL RETURN TO EL BANC

Yesterday, May 23th, El Banc Expropiat was
evicted by the Catalan police, after more than
160 days of resistance (more than 100 during the
first campaign, and 87 days this time). The first
time, the City Hall secretly decided to pay over
65.000EUR to Manuel Bravo Solano, who owns the
bank, in order to avoid another Can Vies before
the municipal elections. After this shady deal
was exposed, the City Hall justified itself
saying that they believed that the Banc had an
important “social” role. They then admitted that
this rent was being paid to avoid breaking the
social peace, because they knew that the eviction
of El Banc would imply all sorts of responses.
This is what finally happened yesterday. First of
all, we would like to thank all the solidarity
that we have received, a solidarity which has
taken many different forms and that has also
meant a form of support to all the other
struggles which are currently taking place.

Yesterday’s outburst of rage is not only due to
El Banc, it is a consequence of recent arrests,
of raids on squats and libertarian spaces, of the
assassination of Juan Andrés Benítez that exposed police impunity.

We understand that some neighbours are annoyed
because of the situation that the neighbourhood
is going through, or the physical damages that
might have suffered. But, as we’ve said many
times, we will defend the Banc in every single way we can.

Anyone who has seen the police interventions can
attest the violence that they have produced. Over
50 people have ended up with broken heads, knees,
hands or arms as a result of their actions. This
is another reason to stay where we are and try to get back to the Banc.

We will return to the Banc.

Solidarity actions can be sent to elbanc [at]
riseup [dot] net or to the squat’s page
“<https://ambamor.wordpress.com/>With Love“

<http://en.squat.net/2016/05/27/barcelona-second-statement-of-el-banc/>Statement
No 2, 26 May.

[May26] These days are being very intense and
this is why we’re having difficulties to spread
informations as a collective. Within our
capacities, we will add more detail to our
version of the facts of these last few days and
also our opinion on many aspects of the conflict that is taking place.

First of all, we would like to thank all the
people that moved from solidarity to explicit
engagement with the project of El Banc Expropiat.

Many of you are asking in which ways they can
contribute to this struggle, ranging from
neighbours of Gràcia that are getting in touch
with us to people from elsewhere, sometimes
writing from places so far away as the combative
neighbourhood of Gamonal, in Burgos.

Here’s some ideas for you:
    * Convoke all sorts of protests that could
pressure those responsible of this conflict,
grant more visibility to what El Banc Expropiat
is or to what is happening these last few days in Vila de Gràcia.
    * Hang banderoles, banners, or posters to
your balconies or windows in support to El Banc Expropiat.
    * Spread the information we publish with your nearest relational circles.
    * Participate in the pot-banging actions that
are taking place are 22h from your balcony, your window or the nearest square.
    * Send us all the informations, images and
videos that you consider that could be useful to us.

Who is behind this eviction?
    * Catalunya Caixa: this bailed-out bank (now
absorbed by BBVA) was the owner of the space when
we squatted it. If they hadn’t started the legal
process to evict us, we probably would not be here today.
    * Manuel Bravo Solano: this individual is the
responsible behind the current obscure network of
real estate companies dedicated to speculation
that legally own the space. Companies like this
and people like him are responsible of the
gentrification process that we are suffering in Gràcia.
    * Mossos d’Esquadra: we won’t be fooled, the
violent interventions of the police are not being
a response to the violent actions of the people
that are protesting. It became self-evident the
second day that the goal of the police is not to
prevent disturbances, but instead to prevent us
from re-opening El Banc Expropiat. When we manage
to enter our space it it will become obvious that
the disturbances are taking place because of the
eviction and the later interventions by the Mossos d’Esquadra.
    * Government of the Generalitat: The
Government of Junts pel Sí (CDC and ERC) are the
political responsibles that command the Mossos
d’Esquadra. Of the Government of the Generalitat
wanted to, the police would walk away, and if
they do we will be able to re-open El Banc Expropiat.
    * Media: These actors would not have the
strength they have if the media wasn’t acting as
a amplifier of their messages. The media
manipulation of these last few days is becoming
quite obvious, not only because some old footages
of disturbances were used, or the desperate
attempt of the journalists to find neighbours who
talk badly about El Banc Expropiat, but also
because of the complete silencing of police
violence, notwithstanding the images, videos and
testimonies that circulate through social
networks in very significant terms. The fact that
we don’t do press conferences doesn’t mean that
the press does not have access to the huge amount
of information that refutes many of the lies that
individuals such as Batlle or Collboni [local TV journalists] are spreading.

Each of these actors have their share of
responsibility in the conflict that we are
suffering, and for this reason we invite everyone
to make their role visible and to pressure them to change their attitude.

Stay tuned for more information

May 26th of 2016
Vila de Gràcia

https://bancexpropiatgracia.wordpress.com/

<http://en.squat.net/2016/05/27/barcelona-second-statement-of-el-banc/>Statement
No 3, 27 May. We’ll try to enter again.

Whatever might be said by the City Council about
this conflict, it does not take place between
private parts, it is a conflict between two ways
of living: those who want a common life and to
relate through mutual support networks, produced
among equals, and those who defend private
property – regardless of its use – and the supremacy of some over others.

Barcelona en Comú is not and will not be a
representative of those of us who have been here
these days, first because we do not have
representatives – and simultaneously do not
aspire to represent anyone but ourselves – and
secondly because their institutional choice is
not and will not be our’s neither. We refuse to
serve as an excuse for the various political
parties, that have been throwing electioneering
darts between themselves, while spreading lies
about us. We have never negotiated with no one,
regardless of the untruths spread by politicians:
those who signed a contract to maintain social
peace – CiU –, paid over €65,000 of an
unjustified fund to the well-known speculator
Bravo Manuel Solano, an amount that almost fully
covers for the buying cost paid by him for our space.

They justify this contract by appealing to our
alleged social work, trying to build a
distinction between the Bank and other occupied
spaces, but do not be mistaken: we are the same
people. We do not do social and humanitarian
work, what we strive for is the generation of
networks of mutual support and the creation of a
world exterior to the mercantile logic. We do not
want to cover up the holes of misery that
capitalism created, we want to put an end to
them. And, to achieve this, all tools are valid and necessary.

Those that are weaving networks, those that
retrieve houses for those who suffer evictions,
those that occupy to create homes and meeting
spaces, those that make parties and other
activities to pay all the costs of judicial
repression, those that cut off streets so that
popular protests can advance, those that face up
to the police: we are all the same because these
are different paths of a common struggle.

There has been a lot of talking about violence,
our’s to be more precise, but whoever pretends to
criticize all forms of violence is refusing to
recognize that this society is impregnated with
violence in its very foundations: the violence
that occurs over evictions, the violence of the
homicidal Mossos that remain unpunished, the
violence of the persecution of street-sellers and
of the rejection of refugees, but also the
violence that, beneath the unquestionable excuse
of anti-terrorism, shatters the doors of our
homes at five in the morning, and kidnaps our
companions. If someone really wants to talk about
violence, let’s talk about it, but basing
ourselves on the fact that if the inequalities of
this society do not disappear, it’s because there
is an organization specialized in acting
violently in order to maintain them. This
organization is called the police, whatever the
country, the color of its uniform, or the government who commands it.

The police is the visible and explicit part of
this structural violence. But this violence can
also be found in blackmailing in the workplace,
when we accept to be humiliated and robed out of
fear of misery; it can be found – as we already
noted – in foreclosures, when home ownership is
more important than the necessity of a roof; it
is found in the sexism that denies the feminicide
that is taking place; it takes place in this
Europe that turns its back on the refugees of the
wars that were caused by our own countries. This
capitalist society is based on violence, any
serious discussion must start from this premise.

The conflict over El Banc Expropiat, that is
taking place in the streets, has begun when we
got evicted, and it will finish once we get back
in. We have nothing to negotiate because we do
not aspire to anything else than reopening the
Banc Expropriat at the same location where it
always has been; if they want to negotiate, they
can do it among themselves, Generalitat, City
Council and Solano Bravo. It is not our problem.
We do not want another space, we want this one,
where it is, with its neighbors. El Banc is ours
because we have constructed it second by second
with all the people that has passed by and have
made it vibrate with hundreds of different
experiences; El Banc is ours and we will defend it until the end.

It’s quite simple: the only solution to the
conflict they have opened is to let us back in.

May 27, 2016
Vila de Gràcia

https://bancexpropiatgracia.wordpress.com/