Ways to better democracy after UK "brexit" referendum /e-petition for repeat

MM mm at iniref.org
Sun Jun 26 20:01:42 BST 2016

Hallo Neil Johnston,

Thank you for reminding us about the e-petition for a second referendum
about the EU. Now (20:45 on June 26th 2016) there are 3.3 million
endorsements.

Parliament may debate this proposal but, as we, the electorate, have no
formal right to demand a referendum, the House would not be obliged to
comply with the request.

Because the "Brexit" process – instigation, campaigns, level of
participants' information and public debate – were all deeply flawed,
there is a case for another, early, referendum on this matter. To do
this properly we should rapidly introduce well-designed democratic
procedures such as the citizens' proposition ("initiative") and
voter-instigated, legally binding referendum. A constitutional basis for
this innovation in UK is already in place: in the Convention of Civil
and Political Rights which says that citizens have the right to take
part in their government both directly (on public issues) and indirectly
at elections. This Convention has been ratified by Parliament and so the
new regulations could reasonably be introduced, at least for emergency
use, by a government order (then no need to wait for H o L and Queen ;-))

Our campaign group Citizens' Initiative and Referendum I&R ~ GB /
www.iniref.org would be happy to advise MPs and other people or groups
on how to proceed with the introduction of a more citizen-led democracy
: We can refer to a panel of experts in design of modern democracy.

Regards,

Michael Macpherson (Dr.)
for
Campaign for direct democracy in Britain
Citizens' Initiative and Referendum I&R ~ GB
http://www.iniref.org/enter.html