West Hendon Estate as a microcosm of urban clearances across southern England

Mark Brown mark at tlio.org.uk
Mon Mar 14 21:59:13 GMT 2016

Documentary to be broadcast on BBC1 Tuesday night about the so-called
regeneration and break-up of the West Hendon Estate in NW London

"The Estate We're In" - a documentary about the West Hendon Estate in NW London,
by Fran Robinson
to be broadcast on BBC1 Tuesday 15th March at 10.45pm (tomorrow)
Ref: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t0ydd

A taster here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03lxk60
Neighbours discuss life on the West Hendon estate, The Estate We're In -
Neighbours Jackie P and Jackie C have been told their homes are going to be
demolished.

Situated beside the beautiful Welsh Harp Reservoir, the West Hendon Estate was
built in the 1960s to provide housing for families on low incomes. Today, the
local council have deemed that the estate's 'grotty' buildings are beyond repair
and, in partnership with private developers, the estate is being demolished to
make way for a multimillion-pound regeneration which will transform the area
into a luxury housing development.

For many of the residents, the regeneration has caused uncertainty and stress.
Council tenant Katrina, who has lived on the estate all her life, has been told
that she and her daughter are being evicted from their flat. Pensioner Joe will
have to sell the maisonette that he has lived in for 30 years and saved up to
purchase under right to buy. If the council do not increase their offer he will
have to leave London - and the three generations of his family who live locally
- to afford a home elsewhere.

Filmed over a year, The Estate We're In follows homeowners and council tenants
as they fight to save their homes and campaign against a planned
multimillion-pound regeneration, which they claim is forcing low-income families
out of London. Council leaders argue that there is no public money available and
that private investment is the only way to supply much-needed housing.

Through the experiences of the residents, the film gives an intimate perspective
on the housing crisis and raises broader questions: What makes a community? Is
it possible to fight the system? And are the rights of the poor being ignored
for the benefit of the rich?

Fran Robinson discussing her documentary 'The Estate We Are In' on BBC Radio
London today about the break-up of the West Hendon Estate in NW London and other
urban clearances throughout London, on Radio London - Robert Elms, 14/03/2016
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03l7jjm
listen 1hr 19mins in

More info on West Hendon estate here:
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/01/how-council-promises-have-fallen-away-leaving-west-hendon-estate-dire-straits