Apparently Private Eye says Barratts will BE PAID £13 .5m to 'take on' Enderby Wharf

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Mar 28 01:45:08 BST 2016

<http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=116839&headline=Preserve%20Enderby%E2%80%99s%20maritime%20heritage&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2016>Preserve
Enderby's maritime heritage

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=116839
Wednesday, 23 March 2016 By
<mailto:Mandy.Little at slp.co.uk?subject=Article:%20Preserve%20Enderby%E2%80%99s%20maritime%20heritage>Mandy
Little in
<http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/archive.cfm?sectionIs=news&cat=Local%20People>Local
People
    *
    []

    * Enderby House    --      Cable equipment - ROB POWELL
CAMPAIGNERS want to ensure a listed house and cable loading gear are
preserved to remember the key role they played in the global
telecommunications industry.
The resident-led Enderby Group hosted a visit to Enderby Wharf in
East Greenwich last week in a bid to ensure a sustainable future for
the site which would celebrate the industrial history of the area.
The riverside site is being developed by Barratt's Homes and part of
the wharf is set to be home of the London City Cruise Port Enderby
House, which is derelict, is Grade II listed and so will have to be
preserved but the campaigners want any revamp to include an
educational element on its history.
The house, dating from 1846, was built by Samuel Enderby whose family
ran Britain's largest whaler and sealer ships.
It became an important site for the production of submarine
communications cables including the first transatlantic cables to be
laid at the bottom of the ocean.
The house is listed because of its octagonal first-floor room which
gives views of approaching ships.
The site visit was attended by Matthew Pennycook the MP for Greenwich
and Woolwich, Len Duvall the London Assembly Member for Greenwich and
Lewisham, the leader of Greenwich council councillor Denise Hyland
and representatives from museums.
Peter Luck, the vice-chairman of the Enderby Group, told the Mercury:
"We want to ensure the preservation of Enderby House and the cable
winding gear to show the contribution the wharf played in the
communications industry.
"Barratt Homes will have to preserve Enderby House as part of its
planning consent for the site but as yet, no decisions on what it
will be have been made.
"We have no firm view but we are pushing for it to have something
that relates to the history of the site.
"We would at the least like to see some sort of educational facility
focusing on the wharf and sub sea cabling but also on important
industrial past of the wider East Greenwich and Greenwich Peninsula area.
"With all of the housing developments in the area Greenwich's
industrial heritage has now almost all gone."
Mr Pennycook, said: "The proud industrial history of East Greenwich
is far too often overshadowed by the World Heritage Site to its west.
"It's important we not only protect and preserve Enderby House but
secure a future for it that properly reflects the role East Greenwich
played in the communications revolution."
A Barratt spokeswoman, said: "A regenerated Enderby House is an
integral part of Barratt London's Enderby Wharf development.
"No decision has yet been made on how the building will be used in
future although we will be continuing discussions with local interest
groups to ensure that its historic legacy is respected in any future use."