Latest push for UK Land Tax - counter-arguments ignored by the G

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Nov 30 01:07:32 GMT 2016

The underlying principle here is to tie
absolutely everyone into the money system
Balderdash - tax luxuries - not essentials
And work towards the abolition of money
By making basic essentials: land, housing, food,
water and even public transport (remember Ken Livingston's Fares Fair?), free
This Guardian dream would be a major move in the opposite direction

The dreamed of future money system would be
cashless too - - a credit system like ancient Egypt - -
Again - NO!

How to make the Queen and our dukes pay their way: tax their land

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/queen-duke-westminster-land-value-tax-distribute-wealth-super-rich

<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.theguardian.com/profile/dominic-frisby>Dominic
Frisby
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/http://twitter.com/dominicfrisby>@dominicfrisby
Monday 15 August 2016 09.00 BST

A few thousand people own over half the UK. But
there is a simple way to distribute wealth
fairly: a land value tax on the unearned riches of the super-rich
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/queen-duke-westminster-land-value-tax-distribute-wealth-super-rich#img-1>
Monopoly board

There are about
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/uk-population/>65
million people in the UK and
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/http://www.newstatesman.com/life-and-society/2011/03/million-acres-land-ownership>60
million acres of land – almost enough, in theory,
for an acre each. (It’s not quite that simple, of
course: not all acres are equal.) Yet about
two-thirds of the land – 40 million acres – is
owned by fewer than 6,000 people. If there is a
more telling statistic about the unequal
distribution of wealth in this country, I’d like to know what it is.

In the 19th century landowners paid tax on their
land. Today, so corrupt is our system of
taxation, they actually
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/21/waste-cash-leavers-in-out-land-subsidie>receive
subsidies for it. The rest of us, meanwhile, must pay council tax.

The largest landowners exploit a tax loophole.
Land is passed from one generation to the next
via the tax avoidance vehicle that is the trust.
The rest of us must pay inheritance tax.

The complexity and inconsistency of our tax
systems are to blame for so much wealth
inequality. One group has the resources to find
the loopholes and exploit them, the rest of us
don’t: and so pay more on a proportional basis.
Complexity allows there to be one rule for some and another for everybody else.

About the only way the person who starts out with
nothing can improve his or her lot is through
labour. And yet we tax labour constantly and
heavily. The worker pays the vast majority of
taxes: 40% of government revenue comes from
income tax and national insurance, with another 20% from VAT.

The wealth of the super-rich does not derive from
their labour, however.
It<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/21/i-agree-with-churchill-shirkers-tax>derives
from the appreciation in the value of their land,
their houses, their stocks, their shares, their
bonds, their fine art – what economists call
their assets. These go untaxed, unless you sell. So most don’t.

If you want to redistribute wealth naturally,
rather than via the moral minefield that is state
re-allocation, the answer lies in changing the way we tax people.
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/queen-duke-westminster-land-value-tax-distribute-wealth-super-rich#img-2>
A shooting party on the Duke of Westminsters estate in t
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/queen-duke-westminster-land-value-tax-distribute-wealth-super-rich#img-2>
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.facebook.com/dialog/share?app_id=180444840287&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fcommentisfree%2F2016%2Faug%2F15%2Fqueen-duke-westminster-land-value-tax-distribute-wealth-super-rich%3FCMP%3Dshare_btn_fb%26page%3Dwith%3Aimg-2%23img-2&picture=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.guim.co.uk%2F7d3969d8a7536c00f2552903a926f147c4dacb77%2F0_91_1728_1037%2F1728.jpg>Facebook<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=How%20to%20make%20the%20Queen%20and%20our%20dukes%20pay%20their%20way%3A%20tax%20their%20land%20%7C%20Dominic%20Frisby&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fcommentisfree%2F2016%2Faug%2F15%2Fqueen-duke-westminster-land-value-tax-distribute-wealth-super-rich%3FCMP%3Dshare_btn_tw%26page%3Dwith%3Aimg-2%23img-2>Twitter<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?description=How%20to%20make%20the%20Queen%20and%20our%20dukes%
20pay%20their%20way%3A%20tax%20their%20land%20%7C%20Dominic%20Frisby&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fcommentisfree%2F2016%2Faug%2F15%2Fqueen-duke-westminster-land-value-tax-distribute-wealth-super-rich%3Fpage%3Dwith%3Aimg-2%23img-2&media=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.guim.co.uk%2F7d3969d8a7536c00f2552903a926f147c4dacb77%2F0_91_1728_1037%2F1728.jpg>Pinterest
  ‘The late duke may have been a canny
businessman, but he did not invent anything new.’
A shooting party on the Duke of Westminster’s
estate in the Trough of Bowland. Photograph: Don McPhee for the Guardian

Instead of taxing our labour – what we produce –
why don’t we tax what we use? Instead of taxing
the wealth that is earned, why don’t we tax the
wealth that is unearned? I’m talking about land.
Nobody made the land. Nature gave it to us. By
building on it, or farming it, or mining it, you
have improved it, but the land itself was always
there. So let us look solely at the unimproved
value of the land. This is easy to assess.

If you want the right to occupy a piece of land,
and you want the government to protect your title
to that land, then a rent should be paid to the
community that reflects the value of that land,
because it is the needs of the community which
have given that land value. What I’m describing
might sound extremely left wing, but the
granddaddy of rightwing economists, Milton
Friedman, described it as the,
“<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2015/04/land-value-tax>least
bad tax”: that is LVT –
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/nov/08/land-value-tax>land
value tax.

Who would pay the most if we hand land value tax
in the UK? The Queen (she owns most of it), the
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/nov/28/utilities-aristocrats-eu-agricultural-policy>Duke
of Buccleuch, the Duke of Atholl,
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/http://www.ballaterhighlandgames.com/chieftain.htm>Captain
Alwyne Farquharson, pension funds, the Forestry
Commission, the Ministry of Defence and, of
course,
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/aug/11/inheritance-tax-why-the-new-duke-of-westminster-will-not-pay-billions>the
new Duke of Westminster – or rather the Grosvenor Trust, which owns the land.

The late duke may have been a canny businessman,
but he did not invent anything new, he did not
bring some amazing new product or service to the
world, which we all wanted to use. His ancestors
benefited from the
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/https://www.theguardian.com/news/1846/jun/27/mainsection.fromthearchive>corn
laws 200 years ago and the estates were built.
Now planning laws are such that few can build
anything new. The estate, which owns some of the
most desirable land in London, was effectively
handed a monopoly and the duke made good from the
fact that so many people want to live and work in London.

There’s big money to be made in land banking but
there is nothing creative about it. You are not
bringing anything new to the world or improving
it. It is simply exploiting the restrictive
planning laws in this country that prevent
progress. It is crony capitalism at its worst.

If you don’t want to pay land value tax, you
don’t have to. This is a tax that is voluntary.
You simply sell the land to someone who is prepared to.

The amounts of tax payable are clear. It’s an
easy tax to administer. It doesn’t require
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/12126263/The-Chancellor-must-make-it-his-mission-to-simplify-our-crazy-tax-system.html>10
million words of tax code. And there need be no
loopholes. The land is here – it is not in the
Cayman Islands – and you are the owner.

The Green party actually has LVT in its
manifesto, but it has it in addition to other
taxes. LVT should replace other taxes.

Remember the mantra: don’t tax labour, tax land.
Not only would it make for a much healthier,
happier and more productive society, it would
make for one in which wealth is more fairly distributed.

• Dominic Frisby is performing his show
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/http://www.gildedballoon.co.uk/tickets/performances.php?eventId=14:1071>Let’s
Talk About Tax at the Edinburgh Festival until 28 August

So much emphasis is placed on select Jewish
participation in Bormann companies that when
Adolf Eichmann was seized and taken to Tel Aviv
to stand trial, it produced a shock wave in the
Jewish and German communities of Buenos Aires.
Jewish leaders informed the Israeli authorities
in no uncertain terms that this must never happen
again because a repetition would permanently
rupture relations with the Germans of Latin
America, as well as with the Bormann
organization, and cut off the flow of Jewish
money to Israel. It never happened again, and the
pursuit of Bormann quieted down at the request of
these Jewish leaders. He is residing in an
Argentinian safe haven, protected by the most
efficient German infrastructure in history as
well as by all those whose prosperity depends on his well-being.
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fspitfirelist.com%2Fbooks%2Fmartin-bormann-nazi-in-exile%2F&h=eAQErj17O>http://spitfirelist.com/books/martin-bormann-nazi-in-exile/