Article 25 charity: ‘We could not have known bookkeeper was a fraudster'

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Sep 17 23:24:46 BST 2016

Article 25: ‘We could not have known bookkeeper was a fraudster’
https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/article-25-we-could-not-have-known-bookkeeper-was-a-fraudster/10001229.article
7 January, 2016 By Laura Mark
Architecture charity Article 25 has defended its
procedures after it emerged its bookkeeper, who
was imprisoned for stealing £260,000 from it, had
previously been convicted of another charity fraud
Last month Scott William Golding was sentenced to
four years and eight months in prison after
pleading guilty of false accounting and using the
charity’s money to pay for designer goods from
stores including Alexander McQueen, Gucci, Prada and Harrods.
Following sentencing it was confirmed that
Golding, who had left the charity with just £611
in its account, had previously been convicted of
stealing £9,500 from the Bristol children’s
hospital charity, Wallace and Gromit’s Grand Appeal.
Golding joined Article 25 in 2013, having served
a six-month prison sentence for his previous
crime. He used his middle name, William, during
the 18 months he worked for the charity.
The latest revelation has raised questions about
how thorough Article 25’s vetting process had
been prior to Golding’s appointment.
Article 25 trustee and former chair of trustees,
Jack Pringle, defended the charity’s actions.
He said: ‘We of course immediately checked our
hiring protocols and, in truth, we followed all
the right procedures that any of us would in a well-run office.
’References were taken and they checked out. In
addition, no alarms were triggered as he used a
false name with a false passport which even the
police checks, after the theft occurred, did not rumble.
‘Article 25 is now super-vigilant’
’Spent convictions, as he had, would not show up
at the level of HR check allowed for such a post,
even if we had had his right name. It’s only
normal to carry out criminal record checks in
connection with people who will directly work for
schools, hospitals and such institutions – but
even if we had carried out a criminal record
check, it would not have picked him up, due to his name change.’
Pringle added: ‘Naturally Article 25 is now
super-vigilant and will double-check the
background of any new appointee. Once bitten, twice shy.’
To avoid other charities falling victim to
fraudsters, fellow Article 25 trustee and ING
Media founder Leanne Tritton suggested the
Charity Commission ‘establish a database with
photos of known and convicted fraudsters who operate in the charity sector’.
Comment:
Sunand Prasad, current chair of trustees at Article 25
’Except for certain clearly defined posts, such
as those that involving security or working with
vulnerable people the level of allowable criminal
record check will only reveal unspent
convictions. The reason is obvious as it is
against the law generally to refuse employment to
someone for having a record if the conviction is
spent. This helps to explains why such checks are
not common. I have asked other architects and
professionals and found so far no instance,
except in the clearly defined instances mentioned
above, of any criminal record check even for staff handling money matters.
’The level of check commensurate with the the
post Golding had applied for would not have
revealed anything, as he had served his sentence.
’The key point is that in conducting business we
all rely on trust, even though it is sometimes, sadly, abused.’

Article 25 launches appeal after £200k goes missing from charity accounts
https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/article-25-launches-appeal-after-200k-goes-missing-from-charity-accounts/8686004.article
9 July, 2015 By Laura Mark
Humanitarian architecture charity Article 25 has
launched an urgent rescue campaign after £200,000
disappeared from the organisation’s accounts
On 29 June the charity’s managing director was
informed of irregular account activity by its bank.
Article 25’s trustees went on to uncover what
they said was a ‘systematic falsification of
financial statements’, hiding multiple unapproved
payments totalling more than £200,000.
Tower Hamlets police confirmed to the AJ that it
was investigating an allegation of theft by an
employee at the charity and that the investigation is ongoing.
The charity fears it could enter liquidation if
it cannot find funds to cover the missing cash
and has launched an urgent appeal in what its
chairman, Sunand Prasad, called ‘a fight for survival’.
The charity has appointed an insolvency expert
and launched a rescue campaign with the aim of
raising £130,000 by the end of today (9 July).
So far £110,000 has been pledged to save the
charit,y which has carried out work in Nepal, Haiti, Ghana, and Burkina Faso.
Prasad, said: ‘Article 25 is a charity that
belongs to us all and we now need to fight for its survival.
‘Countless practices and individual in the UK
have helped in some way over the past 10 years to
make Article 25 the leading organisation of its
type anywhere in the world. What has happened is
a particularly bitter blow, as Article 25 is
currently poised to work on some of the most important projects in its history.
‘The current circumstance will be of concern to
every person who has helped us raise money, to
our staff and volunteers who give their all in
their shared endeavour to improve lives and to
the thousands of people whose potential access to
basic accommodation for health or education is now in jeopardy.’
The charity commission has been notified.
Twitter: @TonyGosling http://twitter.com/tonygosling
http://rt.com/op-edge/authors/tony-gosling/
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org

www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6