Australia: New totalitarian law forces end to Sydney tent city protest

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Aug 18 22:43:51 BST 2017

Australia: New totalitarian law forces end to Sydney tent city protest

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/08/17/tent-a17.html

By Virginia Browne and Richard Phillips  17 August 2017

http://tlio.org.uk/australia-new-totalitarian-law-forces-end-to-sydney-tent-city-protest/?preview=true

About 60 homeless people involved in a
long-running tent city protest in central
Sydney’s Martin Place were forced to leave the
area last Friday morning, two days after the
Liberal-National state government in New South
Wales (NSW) imposed repressive new laws giving
police explicit powers to arrest and fine the homeless.

The protest, which began last December, sought to
pressure the state government and the Sydney city
council to boost crisis accommodation for the
increasing numbers of homeless in the city. Known
as the 24/7 Street Kitchen and Safe Space, the
protest encampment was located outside the
Reserve Bank of Australia and close to the state parliament.
[]
Homeless protest in Martin Place

The state government responded with draconian
legislation­the Sydney Public Reserves (Public
Safety) Act­which it pushed through the
parliament in just 24 hours last week, rejecting
minor amendments from Labor and the Greens.

This measure will not just force the homeless out
of Sydney’s central business district and city
tourist locations but punish and potentially jail
them. Its provisions extend far beyond the
homeless, to cover any protest or other activity in a public reserve.

Not only can people be evicted, their tents and
other possessions can be seized. They can be
fined up to $5,500 for failing to comply,
obstructing police or committing any other
offence prescribed by regulations under the Act.

The legislation hands sweeping powers to a police
officer to give a direction to anyone, or any
group of people, if the officer believes that the
people’s presence “interferes with the reasonable
enjoyment of the rights” of any “section of the
public” in a public reserve. It applies to Martin
Place, or any other Sydney public reserve proclaimed by the state government.

Such directions can include an order to leave the
reserve and not return for a specified period,
but there is no limit on the type of direction
that the police can issue. The only exemptions
are for “authorised public assemblies” or
gatherings related to an “industrial dispute.”

This is the third anti-protest legislation
imposed by the NSW state government during the
past 18 months. Last year,
<https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/05/12/laws-m12.html>extraordinary
laws were introduced that can be used to shut
down political protests and punish dissent. Two
other Australian states also brought forward laws
that
<https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/03/18/prot-m18.html>criminalise
protests or any other activities that are alleged
to disrupt business operations.

The latest legislation was preceded by a
hysterical campaign involving the state government and the media.

On August 4, NSW Family and Community Services
Minister Pru Goward declared: “I don’t care what
it takes, we will move these people on.” NSW
Police Commissioner Mick Fuller added: “They will
be gone at some stage
 but this won’t be the last
time we will have a problem with the mixed
homeless group with a taste for protest activity.”

Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore, a so-called
independent backed by the Labor Party and the
Greens, had said she would oppose government
attempts to expel the protesters and claimed to
have organised a deal for the homeless. Moore’s
promise was empty posturing­the “deal” did not
involve any accommodation­and the state
government pushed through its legislation.

Sydney City Council had previously intervened to
dismantle tents and remove the belongings of
homeless people camping or staying overnight in
Martin Place,
<https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/02/23/home-f23.html>Wentworth
Park and other inner-city areas.

In June 2016, council workers and police evicted
homeless people who had been camping for six
months outside the former Westpac building in
Martin Place. The homeless were presented with a
letter signed by director of city operations,
David Riordan, deeming the camp a “public nuisance.”

The assault on Sydney’s homeless occurred during
“National Homeless Week.” The annual publicity
event generally involves corporate executives and
celebrities spending a night sleeping rough,
which does nothing to stem the rising numbers of
homeless and acute housing affordability crisis.
[]
A section of the tent city protest

Across Australia, homeless shelters and crisis
accommodation centres are at capacity and turning
people away. Homelessness Australia chairwoman
Jenny Smith said: “We have 280,000 [homeless
people] who have been seen by our services last
year, which is an increase by 43,000 on the previous year.”

Sydney, where property prices and rents have
soared, particularly over the past six years, is
ranked the least affordable city for housing and
accommodation in Australia and one of the most
unaffordable cities in the world.

Homelessness Australia in 2013, estimated that
NSW had over 29,000 homeless people, the highest
of any Australian state or territory. According
to the latest official City of Sydney street
count, in February there were 433 homeless people
and 489 people in crisis or temporary
accommodation centres in central Sydney alone.
This was a 28 percent increase since 2011.

While criminalising homelessness, the NSW
government, like its Liberal-National and Labor
counterparts around Australia, is continuing to
systematically run down and sell off public
housing. Inner-city public housing estates,
particularly those with harbour views or at other
prime locations, are providing windfall profits for state governments.

A short distance from Martin Place, the
government is forcing public housing tenants out
of the Sirius apartment block and selling the
building. Scores of affordable rental homes and
apartments are also being privatised at nearby Millers Point.

There are 60,000 people on the waiting list for
public housing in NSW and almost 200,000
nationally. Only a handful of these people will
ever secure the accommodation they seek. At the
same time, financial speculation in Australia’s
housing property bubble has produced hundreds of
thousands of
<https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/07/24/hous-j24.html>unoccupied
homes and apartments across the country.

Organisers of the Martin Place tent city claimed
the protest would “shine a light” on homelessness
and pressure the state government to increase the
number of crisis accommodation places. Confronted
with the new laws, protest leaders directed the
participants to pull down their tents and vacate
Martin Place. According to protest organisers, at
least 20 percent of those from the tent city are
still “sleeping rough” in other inner-city streets.

WSWS reporters spoke with tent residents and
volunteers last Friday before the protest was
shut down. They explained that any accommodation
offered by charities was only short-term­usually
no more than a couple of nights in a hotel.
[]
Nigel

Nigel lived in the Martin Place tent city for
about six months. He previously worked in
advertising but went through a divorce in Hong
Kong, resulting in his deportation to Australia.
He had to leave his 10-year-old son in Hong Kong.
A downward spiral of depression and isolation
began when he returned to Australia.

“Living here has taken me out of isolation, made
me interact with people and given me confidence.
Lanz [Priestly, the protest organiser] has got me
working in the kitchen and around the community
generally
When we have to move we’ve got to stick
together. We have to keep this community together
and move together somewhere else.”

Stu, originally from Auckland in New Zealand,
joined the Martin Place protest when it began last December.

“I’m here because I want to show people in Sydney
how bad the homeless situation is and to be in
solidarity with other homeless people. I came to
Australia in 1979 and worked as a French polisher
and in other jobs. I set up a small business in
Canberra importing fireworks but the government
changed the law and my business collapsed.

“There were court cases and appeals. All the
money I had went on that and my life went
downhill. I was jailed for 15 months for driving
without a licence. I couldn’t get any work and
I’ve now got heart problems and I’m on a disability.
[]
Stu

“I’ve been homeless now for seven years. I’ve
been helped by various charities but it’s only
temporary. They can’t seem to be able to do much
for us. The tents and sleeping bags we have here
have been donated but apart from that the people
here don’t have anything. It’s homeless week and
there’s all this publicity. We have CEOs doing
sleep outs every year but this doesn’t change anything.

“I don’t agree with the state government or
Sydney council. They talk on the media about how
they’re concerned about homelessness, but what do
they do? Politicians are only interested in
looking after the rich. They can push us out of
Martin Place or pass laws banning what we’re
doing but this isn’t going to help us find
accommodation and we’ll just have to go somewhere
else. They want to cover up the problem.”

The author also recommends:

<https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/01/18/home-j18.html>Australia:
Melbourne homeless speak out against police harassment
[18 January 2017]

<https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/06/06/home-j06.html>Australia:
Melbourne homeless continue city protest
[6 June 2016]